tax treatment of disposal of worthless asset

GrayHare

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
Can't find a description or example of the following in the IRS regs. If a capital asset becomes worthless but requires expenses to be disposed, when computing the tax loss are those expenses included? For example, I buy a capital asset for $1000 that later becomes worth $0, but it costs me $100 to get it off the books, is the capital loss $1000 or $1100?

I believe it would be $1100. Transaction costs are added to basis, so you would report a basis of $1100 and a sales price of $0. At least that is the case with worthless stocks, not sure what kind of capital asset you're talking about, but don't see why it would be any different.

It might not be stock. I disposed a $2000 worthless stock option because there was no value in it, but I had exercised for long term capital gain. I didn't have to spend money to sell it. It's already worthless.

I believe it would be $1100. Transaction costs are added to basis, so you would report a basis of $1100 and a sales price of $0. At least that is the case with worthless stocks, not sure what kind of capital asset you're talking about, but don't see why it would be any different.

+1 The cost basis of an asset includes transaction costs.

Back
Top Bottom