Teaching English Abroad

flyeagle111

Dryer sheet wannabe
Hey everyone. I'm looking to go overseas for a year or two to teach English. I've heard S. Korea and China have a lot of opportunity. Anybody have any recommendations on where to go and how to start the process of applying (graduating in December)? Any other recommendations are welcome! Thanks.

#1 son's girlfriend just got a contract for a year teaching English in China. I'll try to find out more.

I knew a girl who taught in Japan for a year and loved it...

I have heard that some of the old Soviet countries have openings...

If I were to go this direction, the first thing I would do it try to determine where I would want to live and then see if there was any opportunity to get a job at that location...

However, I think that one requirement is that you can speak the native language.... at least enough to get by.... I think that is what the one who taught in Japan said...

Hey everyone. I'm looking to go overseas for a year or two to teach English.
Just wondering. Do you know/understand the main language of the country of which you expect to "teach"?

I know a bit of French, but I would not like to teach (US) English without knowing and being proficent in the local language (even though I worked for a French company) in my earlier years.

Heck, I know enough "tourist French" to get by, but I would never think that I could be paid to teach English in that country...

A friend of ours once commented that she makes enough teaching English in Shanghai for 5 or 6 months a year to cover all of her costs of living very well here on Nevis for the rest of the year.

Friend has done this in China every summer for the last few years. He speaks no Chinese. I think you want to look for programs that offer their students total immersion experiences, so you, the instructor, are not expected to speak the native language. (But if you pick some up by "osmosis" so much the better.)

Our neighbor's son taught english in China for 1 year after he graduated from college. He was an international business major and thought the experience would be beneficial. He did not speak much mandaran and that was not required although he did pick up some conversational skills while there.

My oldest daughter was looking into doing this last year...until she learned she was pregnant. Now she's a stay-at-home mom.... :)

Google Dave's ESL board and start reading. There are country specific forums and general forums. You will usually need a certification like CELTA -- this is an intensive 1 month course that you can take in the USA or abroad. Best to take it in your target country.

Asia pays more than the rest of the world. Countries I strongly considered were Taiwan and Turkey. South Korea the most popular and pays well but most don't like it which is why it pays well.

Solicit as much firsthand advice as you can.

There are more crummy language schools than good ones.

Research as much as possible on Dave's ESL Cafe and get tips on good schools there.

House Hunters International featured an episode where an American went to Korea to teach english. No comment on the teaching english aspect, however they have some extremely funky rental rules there, which if I recall correctly need you to put down significant amounts at the commencement of a lease.

Thanks for all of the advice. I've looked at Dave's ESL board and there is some good info. Some of what I've read for those interested:

-S. Korea and China seem to have the most opportunity.
-Studio apartment paid for, along with travel to/from country
-Starting pay in S. Korea from 1,600-2,300/month depending on education/experience
-If you do private lessons, you can earn extra cash on the side.

All in all, it doesn't seem like a bad gig, considering I'm young. I could hopefully pocket 10K for the year, if I spend frugally.

Back
Top Bottom