Teaching TCOB Skills

TromboneAl

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
TCOB = Taking Care of Business

I've been stepping in an helping DD (in college) with some financial loose ends. For example, to get a car insurance claim paid she needs a copy of her car title, and there's a workman's comp payment that hasn't been made.

These things dragged on for months for her, but I was able to clear them up very quickly (sorry to brag here). She said she could never get through to someone at the DMV, but by using the "Press 0 for operator" trick I was talking to someone in two minutes. She said she'd had the doctor send in the workman's comp claim, but it wasn't until I contacted the right person at the company that things started moving.

I suddenly realized that this was one set of skills I hadn't taught her. The skills of getting through to the right person and following up to make sure things went through, faxing instead of mailing (or in addition), making copies of everything, taking names for future reference, being nice but firm, etc.

HI,

Know what your talking about. DW one duty in FIRE is handling the COBRA since she had the insurance. She left Sept 8th. Have til Nov. 11th ish to secure insurance.

Her sister was HR manager or 30 years at 10,00 plus comany and worked with her 2 days on the phone in early October.

Still nothing locked up. Packages sennt to North Myrlte Beach Florida not SC. Email addresses given several times go to AOL not Yahoo.

She doesn't ask for names, only Bob or Karen, no accountability per the CS people.

I would have been on with a Supervisor after second call. Trying to relax a bit in semi FIRE but takes a while to teach an old dog new tricks..

W

TromboneAl said:
(sorry to brag here).

Uh...huhhhhh....... Yeah we know you don't want to brag Al. We understand. No problem. TromboneAl = Mr Modest. Our understated guy!

Yep, I can relate to Al's observation. My nuclear engineer daughter bounced a check back when she was in college: nearly killed her to admit it but she needed a quick rescue to avoid a big fee. All it took was a call to the bank branch manager, some sweet talkin' about how she was new to this, I'm sure she'll be a loyal and increasingly active client with the bank, how I am a client and would look favorably upon a little understanding, etc. TCOB.

Another time, she needed a car repair and the dealer quoted $400, while a reputable independent quoted $175; she had a great experience with the cheaper guy, and a day or two later brought them a box of donuts and a letter of thanks. Ever since then, they give her a big hello, sneak her in when there are no available appts, etc. Friends for life. TCOB.

Things most of us do many times a day to lubricate our way through life don't come naturally to the young'uns.

Rich_in_Tampa said:
Things most of us do many times a day to lubricate our way through life don't come naturally to the young'uns.
They don't come naturally to most people at any age, but most of them can be taught.

How did we learn our schmoozing skills? More importantly, are we capable of teaching them to our teenagers?

Back
Top Bottom