Teen's Invention to Eliminate Car Pillar Blind Spots

I wonder if this design could be used with new stronger, thinner materials that we have today vs 50+ years ago.
Sure, but duplicating those old style designs is not really a materials problem. It is an aerodynamics problem. That Chevy ('59 I think) generates huge amounts of aerodynamic drag and if it were ever driven fast it almost certainly would also generate noticeable lift.

The reason all the cars today look like jelly beans is that everyone has the same wind tunnel data. The goal is to keep the air flow from becoming turbulent until the very end, where it separates at the back. Flush glass is maybe the biggest single change from the good ol' days.

Sounds like a very complicated mousetrap.

I was having a similar problem with my 4Runner and actually thought about retrofitting a blind spot detector system on my truck. Cost: $750+

Then I watched this video on the proper (SAE recommended) method for setting up your mirrors. Their highly logical recommendation felt odd for a few days, but not anymore. It works like magic! Problem solved 100%. Cost: $0.

http://youtu.be/QIkodlp8HMM

(Here's the Car and Driver article referenced in the video: how-to-adjust-your-mirrors-to-avoid-blind-spots)

Last edited:
Sounds like a very complicated mousetrap.

I was having a similar problem with my 4Runner and actually thought about retrofitting a blind spot detector system on my truck. Cost: $750+

Then I watched this video on the proper (SAE recommended) method for setting up your mirrors. Their highly logical recommendation felt odd for a few days, but not anymore. It works like magic! Problem solved 100%. Cost: $0.

http://youtu.be/QIkodlp8HMM

I've adjusted my mirrors this way. Helps a lot.

I still need a pair of tiny round blindspot mirrors which I stick to the outer part of the mirrors.

Had the car oil changed recently. First thing I notices when getting the car back was the mechanic adjusted :mad: the seat and mirrors off position.

The red car is a 61 Chevrolet. 59-61 GM vehicles do have that similar A-pillar and windshield design.
Sure, but duplicating those old style designs is not really a materials problem. It is an aerodynamics problem. That Chevy ('59 I think) generates huge amounts of aerodynamic drag and if it were ever driven fast it almost certainly would also generate noticeable lift.

The reason all the cars today look like jelly beans is that everyone has the same wind tunnel data. The goal is to keep the air flow from becoming turbulent until the very end, where it separates at the back. Flush glass is maybe the biggest single change from the good ol' days.

One could replace the entire windshield, along with the support pillars, with a curved display screen that shows what is happening around the car. I suspect such a depiction, and its lack of complete realism, would trigger motion sickness for some drivers though, much the way VR headsets do.

Last edited:
Ah, in the far future, if self-driving cars are not yet there, we will be made to take public transportation, or walk, or ride a bike.

No need for fancy-schmancy and expensive solutions. :hide:

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom