Telephone IRS Scams....

I got a couple robo calls stating a warrant was issued in my name by the IRS and for me to call a phone number. I did not call.

I notified our county sheriffs office. They said they won't investigate out of state robo calls and to just hang up. Disappointing since I at least had a phone number they could work with.

I notified our county sheriffs office. They said they won't investigate out of state robo calls and to just hang up. Disappointing since I at least had a phone number they could work with.

You probably didn't. The scam callers generally forge the "calling from" number nowadays. Often to the same area code and exchange, to make you think it's maybe a neighbor or local business.

There's really nothing local law enforcement can do if the scammer is in another jurisdiction.

It appears that they have escalated their attack due to my lack of response

The latest notice is the IRS has issued a warrant for my arrest and the local police will be coming soon to haul me off to jail.
darn, some of you guys get all the excitement.

The latest notice is the IRS has issued a warrant for my arrest and the local police will be coming soon to haul me off to jail.

You can post your bond amount the the "Blow that dough!" thread.:D

The warrant police called me twice in the last 2 days. But nobody came to get me! whew, dodged another one.

We have the equivalent scam in Canada that references the Canada Revenue Agency and RCMP.
One anonymous person recently duped wanted to tell her story and it was written up on of the local newspapers. Basically, she seemed to be a smart person and knew of the scam but she's irrationally scared of authority/getting into trouble. So, when they called her up with a ridiculous request to make payment for an incorrect tax filing, under threat of being arrested immediately, she did so. She obviously feels stupid now.

But the scammers are preying on people willing to blindly follow requests of an "authority" figure over the phone whether out of fear or ignorance. And there are numerous similar examples where a prank call successfully instructs a person to do pretty stupid things: strip searches, smashing all their windows, etc.

People have to be willing to question authority. That doesn't mean you have to be a jerk in how you go about it though. And the people fielding such questions need to have the patience to answer the questions, understanding that people can't expected to be sheep. Situation dependent of course.

I don’t get the solicitations because I don’t answer the phone for anyone, if it’s important enough they will leave a message, with my busy schedule I don’t have time to bother with incoming calls

They called again yesterday. I guess they gave up trying to arrest me, they said they had filed a lawsuit as usual.

Mail must really be slow here, I still haven't received the summons from the lawsuit they filed 4 years ago.

I got the IRS scam guy calling me non-stop for about 3 months and he finally stopped.. he was very persistent though.

Of course, then I got an IRS notification in the mail this week and was like wow, that's pretty gutsy they went to mail scam.. really? Glad I actually looked at it.. errr after 4 hours of looking through all my records and calling the IRS, yep I fat fingered my SS# when I paid estimated taxes, so the IRS bill was real...oops, had my conf #s so they found it and credited it, so fixed but knowing me I so could have ignored it as a scam.

They haven't called me for a while now. I wish they would, I would tell them I want to surrender where should I go? See how they react.

I have gotten 2 REAL IRS letters, so I know what they look like. Both issues were resolved satisfactorily with no additional tax due

Back
Top Bottom