Tesla is off the rails

Status
Not open for further replies.
Odd hypothetical, but you are aware that Electric and ICE cars were on equal footing back in the early 1900's? There were even hybrids back then. And (for better or worse) the ICE won over the next hundred years.

For your hypothetical to even come close to any sort of validity, we would also have to assume that electric motors, modern solid-state motor controllers, and modern batteries (and maybe even the modern electrical grid) also didn't exist until today, and all would have to go through their evolution of improvements. Which takes us right back to the 1900's. That experiment already played out.

I don't see any relevance to today.

-ERD50

The "D" list you posted above has several electric car builders on it that go back a long time. I'll bet of one reviews that long list of defunct auto manufacturers (A-Z) you will find scores of EV builders gone away. EV's were here in the early 1900's, but people preferred ICE cars, as they do today.

And whoever says $39K is not much money :confused: and can buy you a Tesla is wrong on both counts.

For your hypothetical to even come close to any sort of validity, we would also have to assume that electric motors, modern solid-state motor controllers, and modern batteries (and maybe even the modern electrical grid) also didn't exist until today, and all would have to go through their evolution of improvements. Which takes us right back to the 1900's. That experiment already played out.

I tend to agree with you.

The reason cars powered by gasoline won out (just barely) was that all EV's around the turn of the century were powered by flooded lead acid batteries with limited range and lifespan. And they were very heavy.

The renaissance in electric cars is due to breakthroughs in lithium-ion batteries in EV's of today which provide the necessary range and longevity, without excessive weight, to be able to displace gasoline cars in the marketplace.

And whoever says $39K is not much money :confused: and can buy you a Tesla is wrong on both counts.

Ha! No one said $39K is not much money! New cars are not cheap. That's why most people buy used cars!

But, yes, you can buy a new Tesla Model 3 for $39K before tax and license. I just configured a 2020 Standard Range Model 3 for $37,990. If you add on the $1200 Destination and Document Fee charged on all new cars it comes to $39,190 (which is the "39K" I quoted). Most new car quotes don't include the destination and document fee, just MSRP. I've bought two Model 3's using the online configurator so I know this is accurate.

Not only that, even this, the least expensive Tesla comes with Autopilot so it can take a load off your shoulders on long trips. It's surprisingly well equipped with safety and convenience features in most other ways also.

So the good news is you really can buy a new Tesla for $39K. The bad news is Tesla's are in such high demand there is currently a 4-8 week estimated wait. The good news is the deposit is refundable and is only $100.

Last edited:
Odd hypothetical, but you are aware that Electric and ICE cars were on equal footing back in the early 1900's? There were even hybrids back then. And (for better or worse) the ICE won over the next hundred years.

-ERD50
You disagree, that's OK with me. But you really baffled me. You have impressed me as a logical thinking person who loves facts.

Facts are today ICE vehicles carry around 2000+ parts thats are not needed for today's EVs! Why would you want to carry all the additional components and compompexity forward to Automobile 2.0?

I have always appreciated the simple solutions instead of complexity. Perhaps I experienced this in software development(overly complex solutions were overly "brittle")? Look at things like front end collisions, ICE vehicles have a complexity EVs do not with the engine, transmission, driveshafts, transfer case all being located where the crumple zone should be. Why solve all these issues when you can spend your time building solutions to better protect the occupants? Isn't that more important than "this was the best solution 120 years ago?"

Why solve all these issues when you can spend your time building solutions to better protect the occupants? Isn't that more important than "this was the best solution 120 years ago?"

Some people don't like change, even if it's obviously for the betterment of mankind.

Did you know there are literally hundreds of thousands of Americans who get a significant part of their income passively from oil and gas leases (that are government subsidized), oil company dividends, royalties from oil and mineral rights and other passive payments from the fossil fuel industry? These are some of the people who don't want our country to move to sustainable forms of energy quickly (or at all). Because they don't have to work or lift a finger to recieve these recurring payments, most of which are directly or indirectly subsidized by the US taxpayer.

However, these changes will happen whether they like it or not.

You are looking at outdated numbers.

Tesla has made a profit in the last 3 out of 3 quarters and is widely expected to announce a profit for the fourth straight quarter on July 22. If they announce their first loss in a year, then I agree with you, the stock will go down. Because no one is pricing a loss into the stock value.

If they announce a profit as expected, they will be inducted into the S&P 500.

Unfortunately, the other American automakers are not profitable - Tesla is the only one that is. This pandemic has been really hard on auto sales.

But to keep it real, the LTM profit will likely be less than $3/share... so for all intents and purposes it might as well be zero.

I like their cars, I think they are doing some real interesting things, but at the same time I think the stock price is way over its skis.

RE MRG's earlier comment:
Originally Posted by MRG View Post
One thing I firmly believe is if the internal combustion engine didn't exist in ~1900ish, and the automobile didn't exist until now there would NEVER be an ICE auto.

-------

RetiredAtThirty-eight is referring back to my challenge of the above from MRG....

I tend to agree with you.

The reason cars powered by gasoline won out (just barely) was that all EV's around the turn of the century were powered by flooded lead acid batteries with limited range and lifespan. And they were very heavy.

The renaissance in electric cars is due to breakthroughs in lithium-ion batteries in EV's of today which provide the necessary range and longevity, without excessive weight, to be able to displace gasoline cars in the marketplace.

You disagree, that's OK with me. But you really baffled me. You have impressed me as a logical thinking person who loves facts.

Facts are today ICE vehicles carry around 2000+ parts thats are not needed for today's EVs! Why would you want to carry all the additional components and compompexity forward to Automobile 2.0?

I have always appreciated the simple solutions instead of complexity. Perhaps I experienced this in software development(overly complex solutions were overly "brittle")? Look at things like front end collisions, ICE vehicles have a complexity EVs do not with the engine, transmission, driveshafts, transfer case all being located where the crumple zone should be. Why solve all these issues when you can spend your time building solutions to better protect the occupants? Isn't that more important than "this was the best solution 120 years ago?"

Yes, I also appreciate the simplicity of EV vs ICE. But my problem with your hypothetical is you seem to assume the ICE has not, and could not have advanced to its present state (of very high reliability, despite the complexity), but batteries, motors and solid-state controllers could have under the same scenario? But they didn't. So it just seems pointless to me.

A modern computer chip has millions of transistors, it's far more complex than an abacus. Who cares? It's results that matter.

Like any other product, if it can advance to fill a need it will succeed. EVs fill a need for some people today, as they advance that market segment will grow. But ICE/hybrids or some alternate tech are not standing still either.

It's not either/or, each will fill a market need for a very long time (decades).

-ERD50

Still hoping Old Shooter expounds on his Amazon mention above. ...
Sorry, sometimes life gets in the way of hanging out on e-r.org. Had a nice picnic on Bear Island yesterday and sliced and steamed the pastrami that I smoked the day before. Spectacular stuff!

Two questions:
Sorry to have been obscure. I'll amplify:

What do you mean by “this kind of thing”? And why do you include Amazon on a list of companies that have for the most part crashed and burned?
The "thing" is speculation that is not grounded in fundamentals. There is no news here; this has been going on far longer than my 50 years in investing. Warren Buffet's mentor and former employer, Ben Graham, discusses the problem in "Security Analysis," first published in 1934 and in "The Intelligent Investor," first published in 1949.

The scenario is always pretty much the same: A stock or a class of stock is levitated beyond any financially justifiable price based on speculative enthusiasm. Speculators seem to be of two types; "true believers" are enthused about the business and forget that a good business is not necessarily a good investment, and "traders" who bank on the "Greater Fool Theory." (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Greater_fool_theory) Here is Graham (in "The Intelligent Investor") on the problem:
" ... we hope to implant in the reader a tendency to measure or quantify. For 99 issues out of 100 we could say that at some price they are cheap enough to buy and at some other price they would be so dear that they should be sold. The habit of relating what is paid to what is being offered is an invaluable trait in investment. In an article in a women’s magazine many years ago we advised the readers to buy their stocks as they bought their groceries, not as they bought their perfume. The really dreadful losses of the past few years (and on many similar occasions before) were realized in those common-stock issues where the buyer forgot to ask “How much?"
Really, this is very old stuff. Think "tulip bulbs." (The first few chapters of "Memoirs of Extraordinary Popular Delusions and the Madness of Crowds," published in 1841, are a fun and maybe even a worthwhile read.)

Sometimes speculators do win. That is why I included Amazon in the list. Nobody would play the slots either if they didn't win once in a while.

Observation about Tesla: Seemingly lots of problems. The Stanphyl Capital letter to investors from June has a compelling list of reasons for its short position. But in my opinion, the CIO ignores a simple and obvious high probability aspect of our future. Y over Y for the next 50 years, electric cars as a percentage of total cars is gonna go up. In a post combustion engine world (20 to 30 years?) unless your thesis is Tesla is going out of business, I’d rather be long than short. And I also wouldn’t be afraid to enter even now. ...
WADR, this is a classic but fallacious argument that implicitly assumes that a good company is automatically also a good investment. Try this: At $1, would you buy Tesla? I think so. How about at $1,000,000? I doubt it. So between those two there is clearly a price where you would judge that buying Tesla would be unwise. Any speculator who does not recognize this is not thinking clearly or has a "greater fool" strategy. Lots of money has been made by people counting on a greater fool coming along, but there is a always point where no more fools show up and the fun stops.

I don't have any strong opinions on Tesla itself except a sincere admiration for their self-promotional skills. Compared to other players they have nearly zero experience in building cars* and they have nearly zero in distribution and service networks. They are the first movers though and that often counts for something. My guess, though I don't feel very strongly about it, is that the stock will crash for some reason and that the car piece (with its valuable brand) and the battery piece will be sold off separately. A Sword of Damocles hangs over the battery piece, though, where its huge capital investment is vulnerable to being instantly destroyed by a significantly better or alternative energy storage technology.

It's been a long time since I played these games, though, so my opinion really doesn't matter.

---------------------------------
*From a quick internet search: Chevrolet produced about 2 million copies of just the the ill-fated Vega. This is roughly five times' Tesla's total production. Overall GM's annual production is about 25 times Tesla's lifetime production.

Amazon is still at it, Cisco is too, but the others you mention are dead and buried.

Yup. I think that is Old Shooter's point. We just don't know.

But, what I do know is that many 'experts' predicted Tesla would not make it past the Summer of 2019 as a viable company. It would either fold and be sold for scrap, or bought out by a much larger auto producer. Either way an independent Tesla was going to be gone very soon, certainly by the end of 2019.

OOPS!

FWIW, I have not, do not and have no plans to own Tesla stock or a Tesla vehicle. I am an index fund kind of guy. And I find Hybrid autos make far more sense for me than an EV.

Old Shooter - thanks for taking the time to answer. On Tesla, I was not making that classically fallacious argument. I edified a bit in a subsequent post. macro paradigm shift in personnel transportation (given) + time (an assumption) + Tesla still in existence (an assumption) + modern monetary theory (given) = good investment at the present price point (if you agree with the assumptions).

I also appreciate you going into greater detail about what you meant by “thing”. I’m generally familiar with (and agree with) all that you posted in response. Where the dots stop lining up for me is regarding your reference to Amazon on a list of companies that crashed an burned. And I’m more confused by your amazon follow up re: sometimes the speculators win. Are you saying those who speculated on AMZN under a growth stock thesis have won because it has largely become the company the thesis suggested it would? Alternatively, are you saying the speculators p won because AMZN’s over-valuation continues to hockey stick? Something in between or something completely different? Not rhetorical questions. I’m not getting it.

Last edited:
... Where the dots stop lining up for me is regarding your reference to Amazon on a list of companies that crashed an burned. And I’m more confused by your amazon follow up re: sometimes the speculators win. Are you saying those who speculated on AMZN under a growth stock thesis have won because it has largely become the company the thesis suggested it would? Alternatively, are you saying the speculators p won because AMZN’s over-valuation continues to hockey stick? Something in between or something completely different? Not rhetorical questions. I’m not getting it.
You've already put more thought into it than I did making the post. The list was intended to be a list of stocks that had been subjected to manias. Since I was generally commenting on manias I expected that someone would throw Amazon back at me as an example of a speculative win. Maybe it's not. I don't really know, but the general idea was to acknowledge that sometimes things do work out. There are probably a few more "winners" that could have gone on that list, too, but the list of losers is much longer.

Anyway, I own both Tesla and Amazon. They are among the 8,400 or so issues that VTWAX is holding for me. :LOL:

Sorry, sometimes life gets in the way of hanging out on e-r.org. Had a nice picnic on Bear Island yesterday and sliced and steamed the pastrami that I smoked the day before. Spectacular stuff!

Sorry to have been obscure. I'll amplify:

The "thing" is speculation that is not grounded in fundamentals. There is no news here; this has been going on far longer than my 50 years in investing. Warren Buffet's mentor and former employer, Ben Graham, discusses the problem in "Security Analysis," first published in 1934 and in "The Intelligent Investor," first published in 1949.

The scenario is always pretty much the same: A stock or a class of stock is levitated beyond any financially justifiable price based on speculative enthusiasm. Speculators seem to be of two types; "true believers" are enthused about the business and forget that a good business is not necessarily a good investment, and "traders" who bank on the "Greater Fool Theory." (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Greater_fool_theory) Here is Graham (in "The Intelligent Investor") on the problem:
" ... we hope to implant in the reader a tendency to measure or quantify. For 99 issues out of 100 we could say that at some price they are cheap enough to buy and at some other price they would be so dear that they should be sold. The habit of relating what is paid to what is being offered is an invaluable trait in investment. In an article in a women’s magazine many years ago we advised the readers to buy their stocks as they bought their groceries, not as they bought their perfume. The really dreadful losses of the past few years (and on many similar occasions before) were realized in those common-stock issues where the buyer forgot to ask “How much?"
Really, this is very old stuff. Think "tulip bulbs." (The first few chapters of "Memoirs of Extraordinary Popular Delusions and the Madness of Crowds," published in 1841, are a fun and maybe even a worthwhile read.)

Sometimes speculators do win. That is why I included Amazon in the list. Nobody would play the slots either if they didn't win once in a while.

WADR, this is a classic but fallacious argument that implicitly assumes that a good company is automatically also a good investment. Try this: At $1, would you buy Tesla? I think so. How about at $1,000,000? I doubt it. So between those two there is clearly a price where you would judge that buying Tesla would be unwise. Any speculator who does not recognize this is not thinking clearly or has a "greater fool" strategy. Lots of money has been made by people counting on a greater fool coming along, but there is a always point where no more fools show up and the fun stops.

I don't have any strong opinions on Tesla itself except a sincere admiration for their self-promotional skills. Compared to other players they have nearly zero experience in building cars* and they have nearly zero in distribution and service networks. They are the first movers though and that often counts for something. My guess, though I don't feel very strongly about it, is that the stock will crash for some reason and that the car piece (with its valuable brand) and the battery piece will be sold off separately. A Sword of Damocles hangs over the battery piece, though, where its huge capital investment is vulnerable to being instantly destroyed by a significantly better or alternative energy storage technology.

It's been a long time since I played these games, though, so my opinion really doesn't matter.

---------------------------------
*From a quick internet search: Chevrolet produced about 2 million copies of just the the ill-fated Vega. This is roughly five times' Tesla's total production. Overall GM's annual production is about 25 times Tesla's lifetime production.

Tesla made its millionith car back in March of 2020.

I think part of the Tesla price run up is the 'Elon' factor.

Unlike some speculations, Mr. Musk has a record of doing things that the seasoned experts had thought impossible or not worth doing if they could be done. It's not just wild-eyed speculation such as with Beanie Babys or Bitcoin. The guy has a proven record of success in some very difficult areas.

Recoverable rocket boosters? What nonsense! Now American, Chinese, and European rocket companies are struggling to catch up with where SpaceX was 3 years ago. Meanwhile, SpaceX continies to grow it's launch bookings.

Putting Americans back into space using American spacecraft? Surely an experienced company like Boeing can do it faster and better than some recent start-up like SpaceX. Heck, they even got a Billion Dollars more to do it. [emoji33] Yet, while Crew Dragon is docked at the ISS after having brought two crewman there, Boeing has yet to conduct a successful unmanned test of its Starliner.

Back in 2016 Audi bragged it would overtake Tesla in EV technology and sales. Four years later, and Audi is struggling to hit last year's Tesla target. Meanwhile Tesla's tech continues to move forward.

I would not buy Tesla at this price even if I was a stock picker. As much as I admire Mr. Musk, even he has to put his pants on one leg at a time. But, I also would not sell it short.

It is great fun speculating on the future. I enjoy reading the different points of view.

:popcorn:

Last edited:
Tesla made its millionith car back in March of 2020.
OK. The ever-reliable internet had old data for me, then. But the point is still the same: Their experience is minuscule compared to the companies they are up against.

OK. The ever-reliable internet had old data for me, then. But the point is still the same: Their experience is minuscule compared to the companies they are up against.

Apple could have said "our experience vs IBM is minuscule."

Someone should have told Mr. Bezos that his experience compared to JC Penny and Sears was minuscule.

Sometimes new technology replaces those that are outdated.

The new California law mandating truck sales being electrified in 2024 will further increase Tesla sales.

Last edited:
But ICE/hybrids or some alternate tech are not standing still either.

Just to add another data point, my 2019 RAV4 Hybrid vehicle gets about 2-4 mpg better than my 2012 Camry Hybrid. This despite being a heavier vehicle. Obviously, the Hybrid tech has advanced in seven years. Last week I hit 56 mpg on the RAV4, admittedly an outlier in terms of high mileage. But, the 2012 Camry never got over 50 mpg unless I was coasting downhill for most of the trip. (The newer Camrys apparently do get over 50 in some real world driving conditions.)

So, yes, the tech is improving in many areas.

Apple could have said "our experience vs IBM is minuscule."

Someone should have told Mr. Bezos that his experience compared to JC Penny and Sears was minuscule.

Sometimes new technology replaces those that are outdated.

Look how wonderful that experience is doing for Ford and GM.
Not interested in arguing. Lots of factors determine success, many of them pure luck. Some are positive, like Apple's marketing skill, enabling them to survive today at a whopping 7% of the computer market share and 10-15% share in phones. Some are negative, like Tesla's abysmal initial quality ratings. Some are unknown at this time, like Tesla's field experience after they have amassed a statistically significant number of customer road miles and years. As far as luck, Gates was pretty lucky that IBM picked his OS for the PC. There is a story that Gary Kildall's CP/M was first choice but Kildall botched the sale. Will Tesla be lucky enough to survive introduction of a new battery technology if there is one? How all these vectors net out is never clear through the windshield. Only through the rear-view mirror.

Listing only successes is misleading, however. There were, and always are, many more failures. In five years we will probably know how this one turned out. It will be interesting.

Will Tesla be lucky enough to survive introduction of a new battery technology if there is one? How all these vectors net out is never clear through the windshield. Only through the rear-view mirror.

Listing only successes is misleading, however. There were, and always are, many more failures. In five years we will probably know how this one turned out. It will be interesting.

I am by no means a Tesla fan, nor hater. I give Musk all the credit in the world for what he's accomplished.

That being said, it will certainly be interesting, but I would not count on things being clear in 5 years as far as autos go. The thing is that Tesla is not just an auto manufacturer, but a power company as well. They've proven that their battery technology works on a large scale with the project they did in Australia. When Australia was having big problems, Musk stepped up, made an off the cuff offer, and then delivered.

Today, Tesla has the battery technology, they have solar, they have cars. I can very easily see them acquiring other companies with tangential technologies to help expand their footprint...for example, they've recently acquired Maxwell Technologies. Whether they are super successful/profitable with autos may not even matter if they have irons in other fires that can bring higher profits. Look at Amazon - the retail arm is not where they are making their big profits, it's with AWS.

With Tesla shares trading where they are today, look for the company to be raising a lot of cash very soon with another share offering. I would not be at all surprised to see the company looking to purchase a wind generator company (or companies) with the shares as valuable as they are while they are. Doing that would complement their solar and battery capabilities and provide another profit center.

While the market is enamored with the shares, the company should take advantage of it. Based on when they have issued shares in the past, I am quite certain they will issue additional shares relatively soon, regardless of what might be said to the media in the interim.

Not interested in arguing. Lots of factors determine success, many of them pure luck. Some are positive, like Apple's marketing skill, enabling them to survive today at a whopping 7% of the computer market share and 10-15% share in phones. Some are negative, like Tesla's abysmal initial quality ratings. Some are unknown at this time, like Tesla's field experience after they have amassed a statistically significant number of customer road miles and years. As far as luck, Gates was pretty lucky that IBM picked his OS for the PC. There is a story that Gary Kildall's CP/M was first choice but Kildall botched the sale. Will Tesla be lucky enough to survive introduction of a new battery technology if there is one? How all these vectors net out is never clear through the windshield. Only through the rear-view mirror.

In five years, there will be double or triple the Tesla owners on this forum than there is now. Some other EV owners as well. There will also be plenty of posters on this elderly skewed retirement forum that remain nostalgic with their thoughts on vehicular transportation.

Thats what the last two years have showed us. You don't need to believe me, go check out the Tesla thread.

In five years, there will be double or triple the Tesla owners on this forum than there is now. ...
If, in five years, their market penetration has only doubled or tripled, they will be dying or dead. But I get your point: Anyone who does not agree with you is a nostalgic Luddite.

Good news about EV's for my friends at ER.org.

The April 2019 market share for EV's in the European Union was 7%.

April 2020 numbers are in. Now EV's are 17%.

This only helps Tesla's stock price. If only I could have predicted this was going to happen.

Good news about EV's for my friends at ER.org.

The April 2019 market share for EV's in the European Union was 7%.

April 2020 numbers are in. Now EV's are 17%.

This only helps Tesla's stock price. If only I could have predicted this was going to happen.

Folks who subscribe to Efficient Market Hypothesis would say that it is already baked into Tesla's stock price.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom