Thanks and update from Bluwtrguy

Bluwtrguy

Dryer sheet wannabe
First, a huge thanks to everyone here. I rarely post, but visit almost daily. I have learned a ton. In my original post in 2011, I had been notified of a pending layoff. Turned out the company merger wasn't approved and I am still with the same employer. I am planning to retire next year when I will turn 62 in January. For the first time, I feel like I have made it.

I have $1.96 million at 45/55 allocation. Down to 4 funds, total stock, sp500, total bond, and stable value. I have another $100,000 cash. Probably will use that to live once retired. Wife same age as me, 61, and combined social security at 62 will be just over $40,000. Haven't decided when to start, and we may hold mine until 70. I will get a pension, without cola, of $80,000 if I select 100% survivorship starting in 2019.

Daughter graduated college, employed, moved out, and off the payroll in 2017. Son is a junior in college. Have over $106,000 left in college fund, which is additional to numbers above.

Planning for $130,000 a year until 80, then 120,000 until 90, then 110,000 until 95. $130,000 is a good number for now, but I think the expenses will go down before 80 as son leaves, Medicare kicks in, travel less, etc. Just want to be conservative in projections. Calculators all say good to go. I can always cut back if needed.

Again, thanks to everyone here. I feel like I have been in school with all I have learned, and that I am now graduating with my degree!

Can't wait to have plenty of time to run, cycle, kayak, cook, make my own wine, etc.

Sounds like all your ducks are in a row. Bravo! Here’s to enjoying life!

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom