Thanksgiving

Status
Not open for further replies.

mitchjav

Recycles dryer sheets
Just heard from my sister, who traditionally hosts Thanksgiving, that this year there will be no large gathering. Her daughter, who has two middle school age children is cautious about crowds during the pandemic and she's not sure if her son and his family will make the trip. So, this year will be different - just the immediate family and maybe a virtual drop-in with the extended family.

Anyone else seeing changes with their Thanksgiving this year?

Thanksgiving: Ours is tomorrow....I have cataract surgery Wednesday morning, and have been told to stay away from 'everyone' before then.

I made up a large batch of burrito filling mix, DW will wrap 'em, and we'll have Thanksgiving Burritos together.

DW's birthday the following Monday...so maybe we'll see the granddaughters at that time. :)

My DB usually flies up to my parents for the holiday; not this year.
We usually eat out somewhere; probably not this year.

DW 67, me 69 both in reasonably good health and have already agreed to forgo getting together Thanksgiving/X-mas with son, DIL and grandkids unless we can be outside and masked.

It's just the young wife and me at home for Thanksgiving this year. We'll stuff and roast a chicken, make a slew of side dishes from the bounty of our garden this year, quaff a bottle of good wine and count our blessings. We are happy, healthy and enjoying our retirement, and for that we are thankful.

This year, Thanksgiving will be just DH and I. Christmas...the jury is still out.

It’s just DH and I this year and we are planning a brisket smoking (our first attempt) extravaganza. And a homemade Jack Daniels cherry pie for dessert. Perhaps we’ll change out of our pjs into leisure wear about noon....

Our usual holiday routine is DMIL comes to us for Thanksgiving, and we go to her place for Yule, as she's really the only family in the area, and we hers. She's clamoring to do something, so we've told her that if we can rent or buy an outdoor patio heater, we might do a socially-distanced day visit and meal outside for one of those holidays, depending on the weather. And if it's not good, maybe we can drive down, chat for an hour or so (or as long as we can stand it, basically) outside, and drive back.

Last edited:
Staying home, no family crowds. It will be interesting to see what my sister does.

I don't like the trends of the numbers. I suspect by USA Tgiving, there will be a full court press by govt/media to back off.

To our Canadian friends, Happy Thanksgiving!

It's just the young wife and me at home for Thanksgiving this year. We'll stuff and roast a chicken, make a slew of side dishes from the bounty of our garden this year, quaff a bottle of good wine and count our blessings. We are happy, healthy and enjoying our retirement, and for that we are thankful.
+100, Gumby. We have a turkey breast, and my young wife (5 years younger) will make her famous dressing. Her older son will be visiting the younger one in Nevada. Hopefully, we will see them all on Zoom.

I think we are on our own for Thanksgiving. DH will cook bc he loves it so. Christmas, still working on it. May go to parents' house and isolate in the beginning and then integrate our bubbles with them at some point. Sis and BiL are not able to integrate bubbles with anything due to BiL's job putting him in close proximity to the public, thus keeping the grandchildren away from the grandparents. Im hearing talked of using an outside farm building. Dubious of this. Gets cold in that part of the world.

My sister usually makes a trip from Maine to visit my mom and I around this time of the year. She won't be coming this year. :(

She had Covid scare back in March because she was a temporary employee at Biogen in Boston. Test came back negative. But who knows?

Sister-in-law flying down from their remote mountain top in Idaho with her adult daughter 2 weeks early for an early Thanksgiving that both my locally living sons and all 6 grand kids will attend. We are hosting at our house. We live in a very rural county with very low stats; zero deaths, 4 active cases. Everyone will social distance as much as possible, but we are not going to stop living in order to survive. The numbers and stats just don't justify the sacrifice. I am undergoing chemo for cancer and have been reading up on 'Quality Of Life' for various treatments. What is the purpose of merely surviving if you give up living a quality life? I've discussed with my oncologist and he gives his blessing.

On Thanksgiving, both sons and their families have an airBNB in San Diego for 4 nights. DW and I were invited, but we do draw the line at traveling that requires flying.

Everyone gets to asses their own risk level. This is ours.

Last edited:
We have our big extended family dinner and party at Christmas (not sure it will happen, though this year)
For Thanksgiving, it is usually just us and our kids/grandkids. (small group 6-8 total, depending on who comes)
We have been seeing each other throughout, so far with precautions, so we will most likely just have small dinner with them as usual.

Our son will make the half mile journey to our house where we will have roast turkey and Yorkshire puddings, but that will be on the Saturday (28th) as it is his birthday. My wife’s birthday is on the 24th of November so it will be a double birthday celebration as usual.

2 of my sons and one stepson live locally and they are coming to our house for thanksgiving. We often invite friends but aren’t this year.

We don't celebrate Thanksgiving here, but our big Christmas family dinner will probably be cancelled this year. No one has a home large enough to ensure proper social distancing for 20+ people. I'll probably only celebrate Christmas with people in my small "social bubble" which includes my parents and my sister's family.

Thanksgiving: Ours is tomorrow....I have cataract surgery Wednesday morning, and have been told to stay away from 'everyone' before then.

I made up a large batch of burrito filling mix, DW will wrap 'em, and we'll have Thanksgiving Burritos together.

DW's birthday the following Monday...so maybe we'll see the granddaughters at that time. :)
Doing the turkey with stuffing today. Having friends over without masks. Part of our bubble. We will miss the US celebration in PV this year.

I'm not sure if Thanksgiving will be just the 2 of us or if daughter, her husband and the grandchildren will be coming. If the weather is nice then we will have dinner outside under the pergola. I have already been given a request for my spicy Andouille, Shrimp, and Chicken (maybe some crab) Gumbo made with a proper roux. Since my father's side of the family came from France to N. America by way of Nova Scotia around 1620 (give or take a few years) my Gumbo has been a tradition at our house since I started offering it on family gatherings years ago.

Laissez les bons temps rouler :D

Cheers!

Will just be DH and myself along with daughter and her wife. They work from home so no worries there.

It will be just Frank and me, as usual, and we're hoping to find a reasonably priced restaurant that is open and doesn't require reservations or dress attire. Finding an open restaurant that we like might be harder than in previous years, due to the pandemic.

I tried talking DW into canceling Our thanksgiving dinner, but she’s planning on going ahead with it. Us, 2 Bil’s, 2 Sil’s, MIL, niece and her husband and 3 kiddos under 10 yo.

Recipe for disaster, but we’ve had a similar get together recently and all went well.

I just can’t convince DW that such family gatherings are risky, especially to her 91 yo mother.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom