The 2nd longest place name - an actual village in Wales

Midpack

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Attachments

• IMG_6764-1500x1000.jpg
    IMG_6764-1500x1000.jpg
    369.1 KB · Views: 14
Last edited:
And the longest (85 characters) in New Zealand...

Attachments

• long.jpg
    long.jpg
    171.2 KB · Views: 9
I can't imagine how long it takes parents to teach their kids to give the full 58 character answer to 'where are you from?'
AFAIK, this name was made up as a gimmick to attract tourists. The locals just call it "Llanfair" (pronounced "clan-fire", approximately, although don't tell my Welsh wife that I said that was remotely accurate).

Been there. Nice little place on Anglesey. The Welsh generally call it Llanfair PG, for obvious reasons.. :eek:)

I was there also - on my way to the ferry to Ireland.

DW and I stopped and snapped a pic here in 2010, on an 18 day tour through England, Scotland, Wales, and Ireland.

AFAIK, this name was made up as a gimmick to attract tourists. The locals just call it "Llanfair" (pronounced "clan-fire", approximately, although don't tell my Welsh wife that I said that was remotely accurate).
Actually the original name is Llanfairpwllgwyngyll. The long form of the name was invented for promotional purposes in the 1860s, so "gimmick" might be a little harsh after 150 some years. And in the spirit of picking nits, "Llanfair" isn't the original or official name either.

Last edited:
I have always found Hawaiian words and names difficult to memorize, though they are so easy to pronounced. Too many vowels and syllables!

I remember muumuu and pupu, and that is about it.

Last edited:
I believe the smallest state in the USA has the longest official name: State of Rhode Island and Providence Plantations. Not to mention a very cool seal:

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    19.6 KB · Views: 47
Lake Chargoggagoggmanchauggagoggchaubunagungamaug is one of the longest words in the English language and certainly one of the longest place name in the world. Lake Chargoggagoggmanchauggagoggchaubunagungamaugg is a 1,442-acre lake with a 17-mile shoreline in Webster, Mass.

Chargoggagoggmanchauggagoggchaubunagungamaug

That was a First Class Scout requirement in our troop... first to pronounce, and second to know that it meant
"You fish on your side, I fish on my side and nobody fish in the middle."

We took the troop there to canoe, one time., just to say we'd been there. Circa 1951.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom