"The 30s are a real make-or-break decade for many people."

Let's see - 1978:

- The year I turned 30.
- I was in my second "house" (first was a single wide trailer - purchased used for $4.5k when I got out of the military in 1971); the purchase price for this second home was $21K .
- I was grossing $16k/yr.
- There were no 401K's/IRA's (first IRA for me was in '82). Had a pension, but lost it when I switched jobs after 8 years (10 years was normal vesting, at that time)
- Didn't have the "privilege" of college. Drafted at 18 (one of those "poor whites" of the era). However, made sure my son had the option (got his B/S in Computer Science).

- Doesn’t matter- life still turned out OK :) .

Go back two generations; my fraternal grandfather came through Ellis Island with $25 in his pocket (per the official transcript), after WWI. He was single, alone, and had no family/job in the US (stayed with a friend till he got "established"). However, he did "survive and thrive". Oh yes, he was 32.

Isn't this country (and its people) great? ;)

In less than a year till I'll turn 60 (30 x 2). That's when I'll start my "second lifetime". I hope I have just as great a "ride" on my "second 30's"!

- Ron

Ha, there are bankers and NYC real estate owners on this board who have net worth that would blow away the median for the top 10%, so let's not get showboaty. :)

Laurence said:
I didn't mind turning 30, I just wish I stayed there. 32 isn't bad either, but no matter how I dig my heels in, the birthdays keep coming.
Laurence, for your sake I sure hope Jarhead's not reading Young Dreamers anymore...

All the discussion of the statistics and how they are calculated aside, I think the topic statement still rings very true: the 30s are your make-or-break decade.

In my 20s, I had some intersting jobs, school, and so on. I didn't save much or have much, but luckily didn't get into debt either. By the time I hit 29 or so, I started working a real job, maxing the Roth IRA and putting as much as I could into a 401k. Now, seven years later, I'm pretty happy with where I am. But if I was still spending every penny I had - or if I had racked up big debt, I can only imagine how much trouble I'd have sleeping at night. For people looking at 40 and up with no savings or retirement, well, it must be really daunting.

I'm still a long way off from getting to stop going to work, but I already have the freedom to take and keep a job on my own terms and not feel I like I have to work non-stop or I'll have financial problems.

Nords said:
Laurence, for your sake I sure hope Jarhead's not reading Young Dreamers anymore...

:D

Nothing offensive about Laurence's remark.

I try and limit my "pithy" remarks for the truly deserving. ;)

I also read all the most recent posts, so it could be in any category.

We're working on our 3rd. straight day of rain, and so with no golf have been spending a little more time on the board. ;)

About March lst. or so, you won't have to put up with me very often. ;)

Jarhead* said:
About March lst. or so, you won't have to put up with me very often. ;)

Please try to check in with us once in a while. We may need you to take a trip down to CFB's new family compound to be sure he's got the roll bars installed correctly on his doublewide. ;)

REWahoo! said:
Please try to check in with us once in a while. We may need you to take a trip down to CFB's new family compound to be sure he's got the roll bars installed correctly on his doublewide. ;)

:D :D

I remember watching Tom Arnold doing stand-up after he married Roseanne Barr.

"We're America's biggest nightmare. Trailer-Trash with money."

Jarhead* said:
:D :D

I remember watching Tom Arnold doing stand-up after he married Roseanne Barr.

"We're America's biggest nightmare. Trailer-Trash with money."

And now we have Britteny Spears and K-Fed!

Nords and all, I know, be happy to be so young, and I am. It's just things like this keep happening: I had to take my daughter to pre-school orientation - it kind of tripped me out.

When I look at these net worth stats broken out by age I'm always trying to enjoy the fat days while I'm in them.

I'm 38, and at or near the highest tiers for the 30s age group... but two years from now when I'm in the 40s bracket I'm suddenly not as elite. :(

Back
Top Bottom