The Art of Persuasion and Social Security

mickeyd

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
South Texas~29N/98W Just West of Woman Hollering C
Another SSA study looking at why folks do not choose to delay SS$.

Everyone began the same way: they saw a table showing how much more they would receive from Social Security for each year after 62 that they delayed. One of the most effective tests was an exercise in self-reflection. The participants were asked to list “their own reasons” for how delaying would help them personally. Only after this step did they list the reasons to start their benefits at a younger age.
The order of these requests was intentional and intended to counteract the tendency by most people to focus on their short-term desires. This group reported that they intended to sign up 10 months later than the control group, which wasn’t exposed to the test, according to the study conducted for the Retirement Research Consortium.

https://squaredawayblog.bc.edu/squared-away/the-art-of-persuasion-and-social-security/

No lump sums for us. We prefer the pensions.

Good self reflection is an important part of financial decisions, especially with SS.

if lump sums were an option we'd take it in a heartbeat. wife only gets 50% when i die (and vice versa).

Back
Top Bottom