The cost of Pet Care....wow!

Unfortunately, we had Tony put down this afternoon. The vet examined him and said that he had many things going wrong for him. He was blind, deaf, hind legs were having problems probably due to arthritis and a low grade heart murmur, that was probably causing his coughing or it could be cat allergies. He said that his pupils did not constrict when he shined his light into them and that he could not hear when he snapped his fingers by them. He said that he could do blood work and x-rays and maybe give him a pain medicine for his arthritis or we could do the euthanasia if we wanted. My DH said he wanted to let him go. They did let him into the vet's office to be with him. I combed him this morning and gave him his treats and said my goodbyes, because I was fairly certain this would be the outcome. When I checked our records, Tony would have been 19 years old July 19.

Trixie will be 17 years old August 30.

My son has always driven to our house and taken care of our cats for us. When we are able to travel freely, I don't want to have to ask him to keep taking care of our animals. Also, we are 67 and 68, and do not want to have our animals outlive us. Both of our children have 2 dogs and 1 cat each and do not want to take our animals if we pass. I have thought of fostering cats, when we are done traveling. We will have to see.

I'm so very sorry for your loss. :'(

Our big expense for a 135 lb. Rottweiler is food. High quality food often keeps them out of the vet. She's 6 years old and like a little lady in menopause after having her fixed. Even though she doesn't eat that much, her big bag of food a month is expensive even on Chuy.

The other big expense is kennels. Our local kennels are $25 a night. We take her back to our old city where the Pet Resort is only $15 a night. But it really adds up when you're retired and do a little travel.

Re: Cost of Pet Care

I've advised many people to invest in a well bred dog because the cheapest part of owning one is the initial cost. It's all fine and dandy to pick up a stray at the pound, but just go in knowing that they all cost the same for their care and treatment past that initial outlay, so don't think you are getting off cheap somehow.

Believe there's lots of evidence that mutts --i.e. most of the strays at the pound -- are generally healthier than purebreds. More genetic diversity.

Re: what do people do who can't afford treatment, many people here turn them over to the local Humane Society. In fact I think when you adopt from there you agree that if you can't afford treatment you have to return the pet. My current wonderful dog was a "failed foster". I volunteered to foster pets who weren't quite ready for adoption, including him. The little guy had been hit by a car and the family couldn't afford to pay for x-rays. They'd adopted him from the Humane Society less than a year prior, so returned him when they weren't able to provide adequate care. They must've been heartbroken. I kept the name they'd given him in tribute, as he was clearly happy and loved.

One one hand it's sad that having pets is becoming out of reach for many. On the other, it's probably better for many pets who would otherwise be not well cared for due to lack of funds.

Believe there's lots of evidence that mutts --i.e. most of the strays at the pound -- are generally healthier than purebreds. More genetic diversity.

Re: what do people do who can't afford treatment, many people here turn them over to the local Humane Society. In fact I think when you adopt from there you agree that if you can't afford treatment you have to return the pet. My current wonderful dog was a "failed foster". I volunteered to foster pets who weren't quite ready for adoption, including him. The little guy had been hit by a car and the family couldn't afford to pay for x-rays. They'd adopted him from the Humane Society less than a year prior, so returned him when they weren't able to provide adequate care. They must've been heartbroken. I kept the name they'd given him in tribute, as he was clearly happy and loved.

One one hand it's sad that having pets is becoming out of reach for many. On the other, it's probably better for many pets who would otherwise be not well cared for due to lack of funds.

Agree with all this.
As well as the fact that thousands of healthy animals get euthanized every year because of overpopulation. No need to buy when so many die. Adopt don't shop!

This afternoon we had to have our 16 1/2 year old rescue, Asia, put to sleep after losing our 15 1/2 year old silky terrier in Sept of last year. We have spent many thousands on Asia's care over the years including 4 days at University of Ga veterinary hospital 5 years ago and $300 a month in medications every month since then.

She had a stroke last November and several more this month. We had been fighting blood in the urine for the past three weeks with a followup visit scheduled for today when we found this morning she was so weak she could not walk anymore. Even DGF was accepting of the need to end her distress which says a lot if you knew her. She has been crying all day since we left the vet's office. We rescued Asia when she was 3 months old and is already missed greatly.

Actually there are many many peer reviewed academic research articles that have concluded that both mutts (and in this category I include any mixed breed including “designer” dogs) and purebreds essentially have the same chance of having any number of health issues.

Most back yard breeders don’t do health testing at all so you don’t know what genetic issues may pop up, but a good reputable breeder will. For example, my breed is dachshund and they are prone to progressive retinal atrophy so a good breeder tests for this and removes a dog who carries this from the breeding program.
So both good and bad news from the purebred side.

Many mutts have ended with with some good genetics from both sides, and some just the opposite.
Finally some k9 health issues aren’t caused by poor ownership, like letting the dog become obese or have bad dental health.

PubMed has a lot of good research which is where I get my info, It’s free and fun to browse.

As a side note, when I use the word “mutt” I never mean it in a disparaging way, so it’s not meant to be offensive or downplay a great pet.

This afternoon we had to have our 16 1/2 year old rescue, Asia, put to sleep after losing our 15 1/2 year old silky terrier in Sept of last year. We have spent many thousands on Asia's care over the years including 4 days at University of Ga veterinary hospital 5 years ago and $300 a month in medications every month since then.

She had a stroke last November and several more this month. We had been fighting blood in the urine for the past three weeks with a followup visit scheduled for today when we found this morning she was so weak she could not walk anymore. Even DGF was accepting of the need to end her distress which says a lot if you knew her. She has been crying all day since we left the vet's office. We rescued Asia when she was 3 months old and is already missed greatly.

I’m so sorry to read this. It really leaves a hole in our heart.

I’m so sorry to read this. It really leaves a hole in our heart.

Thanks for the sentiment.

Yesterday was a tough day but to sum up the cost of pet care for us, we don't regret a dime of the money we spent on our dogs and would have given a lot more if it would have extended their time with us.

My bottom line advice is pets are worth whatever you spend on them, but if you aren’t willing to go in debt, skip a luxury or postpone a vacation if you have to for them, then please don’t get one.

As someone who loves dogs, and had them as pets as growing up, I fully agree. We do not have one now for the above reasons. Perhaps someday, but not now. I very much respect those who have pets.

I do have a small pet bill, because dogs seem to like me. Two of my neighbors have several dogs. They always used to bark at me while I would do yard work, but it never seemed in a mean way. Both neighbors gave me permission to give them treats. Now, the first time in the day they see me in the yard, they start barking their head off. But I have been able to "train" them. I approach with treats, but do not give it them until they sit. Then when I have no more treats, I show them my hands and say "all done. no more". They then wander off to other pursuits. And they never bark at for the rest of the day. Later in the day, if they see me, they may come to the fence and stare at me, but they will be quiet, in a mode of "maybe we will get more treats?" If I approach them with my hands closed, they will get excited, but will then sit expecting a treat.

It is a fun cycle. One of the dogs is a rottweiler. Our neighbors joke that if anyone ever breaks into their house, I will be a suspect, because their dog likes me. Once I was sitting in their yard, their dog came over, and sat next to me. Soon I noticed he had dozed off leaning against my foot. I was scared to death to move my foot, it is a big dog and I did not want to startle it. The neighbors just laughed and said no worries, this is a sign the dog really trusts you.

We have larger pet bills, because we’ve rescued 6 feral/stray cats and have one siamese, plus two small dogs. We love our animals and do this rather than other things like exotic travel, new cars, and house updating. When my husband got a 13th check from his pension last year, it went towards making two large catios in our backyard. We spend about $300-400 monthly at the vet, but at the same time, we don’t spend thousands for end of life treatment.

This thread reminded me of the bills we've paid to care for DW's small flock of silver-laced Wyandotte hens. We started out with five, and they all have had names, so clearly they've been more pets than livestock.

When one chicken, "Sister," broke her leg our local vet set it in a cast, and we isolated her from the rest of the flock for a couple months. For several years she walked like "Gunsmoke's" Chester Proudfoot, but eventually recovered a near-normal gait.

We're finally down from five hens to just one, "Little Sis." She's at least 10 years old, which is geriatric for a chicken. She still lays occasionally, maybe three times a month. But we can tell she's lonely. She even approaches one of the dogs from time to time for a little company.

We're thinking of replenishing the flock, but in the last decade a bunch of our neighbors have acquired their own chickens and usually have a surplus of organic free-range eggs that they sell for a reasonable price. DW enjoys the hens' personality, though, so I wouldn't be suprised if we end up with some more birds.

This thread reminded me of the bills we've paid to care for DW's small flock of silver-laced Wyandotte hens. We started out with five, and they all have had names, so clearly they've been more pets than livestock.

When one chicken, "Sister," broke her leg our local vet set it in a cast, and we isolated her from the rest of the flock for a couple months. For several years she walked like "Gunsmoke's" Chester Proudfoot, but eventually recovered a near-normal gait.

We're finally down from five hens to just one, "Little Sis." She's at least 10 years old, which is geriatric for a chicken. She still lays occasionally, maybe three times a month. But we can tell she's lonely. She even approaches one of the dogs from time to time for a little company.

We're thinking of replenishing the flock, but in the last decade a bunch of our neighbors have acquired their own chickens and usually have a surplus of organic free-range eggs that they sell for a reasonable price. DW enjoys the hens' personality, though, so I wouldn't be suprised if we end up with some more birds.

When we lived in California in the 1980's, we had a small horse property and DD had a young mare. We also had two Rhode Island Red hens that roamed the property. They were pretty good company for the mare, and we had eggs everywhere! On of those hens just loved me and would follow me around, but the other wouldn't come near me. :D

When we lived in California in the 1980's, we had a small horse property and DD had a young mare. We also had two Rhode Island Red hens that roamed the property. They were pretty good company for the mare, and we had eggs everywhere! On of those hens just loved me and would follow me around, but the other wouldn't come near me. :D

For quite awhile after we got the birds, DW swore off eating chicken because she had grown fond of their personalities.

Part of me likes to see that people are buying pet insurance, because it is so sad to see an animal not get proper medical care due to most people's inability to come up with even a small amount of cash. On the flip side, I think all this insurance will continue to drive up vet costs because "the insurance is paying for it anyway".

And I thought boats were expensive as in " I'm thinking about buying a boat -BOAT (break out another thousand)" threads!

And am not trying to hijack this one: I cannot lie either. One of the hardest things I've had to do was put down (by vet) our beloved gentle Collie after 12 years & hand carry it to the grave I had dug. We had 40 acres and she followed me everywhere I went on the property. We've owned several dogs, but none as gentle, obedient & quick to please as she could be. I want a dog but haven't been able to convince myself to get another one.

I don’t know anyone with pet insurance except my friend that recommended it. This is the first time we have had it. I could fly to Kansas or Texas and even with airfare surgery is much cheaper than here. So our vets really couldn’t charge anymore than what they do now.

I don’t know anyone with pet insurance except my friend that recommended it. This is the first time we have had it. I could fly to Kansas or Texas and even with airfare surgery is much cheaper than here. So our vets really couldn’t charge anymore than what they do now.
I've had to rush a pet to the vet emergency in the middle of the night. I can't image looking for plane fare at that point. And yes, I paid whatever they wanted.

Maybe Kansas, but the Vets in Texas found religion. ;)

My friend lives in burleson and pays a third of what we do. Obviously, it would have to be a planned surgery.

Back
Top Bottom