The First Monday of Freedom

Congratulations! I remember Mondays being magical when I first retired. Three years into retirement, I still appreciate relaxing while the rest of the world ramps up for the work week, but I'm afraid I have started taking it for granted. We have found our grocery stores to be in need of restocking on Mondays (due to the weekend rush) and have deferred our grocery shopping to later in the week.

Last edited:
Our local TJ's was well stocked yesterday so no issues there!

Today's plan - a little cleaning, setting up my home office for my personal use (after getting rid of the company laptop, phone, etc). I like it so far - I had upgraded my monitor to a 27 inch Dell 4K, got my webcam and other accessories working. I'm liking my setup so far. I may go through my closet and start cleaning that out later this afternoon.

So far I'm just loving not having any w*rk demands on my day.

That's what it is all about. Raining here, so no Pickleball, but got some tax prep stuff ready.
Now just blogging and watching tv. Tough life huh....

Our local TJ's was well stocked yesterday so no issues there!

Today's plan - a little cleaning, setting up my home office for my personal use (after getting rid of the company laptop, phone, etc). I like it so far - I had upgraded my monitor to a 27 inch Dell 4K, got my webcam and other accessories working. I'm liking my setup so far. I may go through my closet and start cleaning that out later this afternoon.

So far I'm just loving not having any w*rk demands on my day.

You need to SLOW DOWN. First issue is this "planning" thing you are talking about. Brings back memories of the movie "Office Space" where in one of the scenes there is a white board with a flow chart displayed. At the top was the title, "PLANNING TO PLAN"....don't do that. There will be PLENTY of time to get things done. :D

You need to SLOW DOWN. First issue is this "planning" thing you are talking about. Brings back memories of the movie "Office Space" where in one of the scenes there is a white board with a flow chart displayed. At the top was the title, "PLANNING TO PLAN"....don't do that. There will be PLENTY of time to get things done. :D

You haven't seen my closet lately :blush:

Congratulations on your first week of freedom! Your summer cruise sounds pretty great. It's nice to have some big things to look forward to in place of the daily grind of a job. I've done 1 or 2 nice trips per year since quitting the rat race.

Congrats! Sounds like things are going great for you so far. I love hearing these stories. It keeps me motivated to keep working so I can enjoy crossing the finish line into retirement myself one day. :dance:

Congrats neighbor, I have been following along. I also dream of taking the first train into Seattle again, with my bike. Instead of blasting up the 3 flights of stairs at King street, I'll wait for an elevator and then go enjoy the waterfront in the AM at my leisure.

Heartiest congratulations on your first Monday.

My exit happened so suddenly that I don't recall thinking much about the fact it was Monday. Full disclosure: My first Monday was actually still vacation. By the time my official date came along, I had pretty much adjusted - and was already sleeping in! YMMV

HUGE congrats!!

Be sure to celebrate the day you forget to wake up at the same time... then remember to celebrate even large the first time you forget its Monday (or when you realize it doesn't really matter even if it is)! =)

best feeling ever!

Congratulations! I hope you are enjoying your new found freedom.

On my first Monday (it was also my birthday) I woke up in a tent in the Redwoods with the flu. We had to drive back to Portland and I managed to lose my wallet along the way.

Every day since then has been fabulous, and I am about to begin my 9th year of retirement.

Enjoy!

Great to read these. Very motivating and can’t wait for that day to come. Congrats!!

Back
Top Bottom