The Healthful Aging Thread

Interesting thread. I have a question about building and maintaining muscle mass. What have you done, what has worked what hasn't?

Retired 5 years ago in Jan '22. Lost 30lbs, 20 of those in the first 8 months retired. Presently 6' 1" and around 175 lbs. I don't eat stupid, but I am not on any kind of diet, trust me. I am convinced that it is just being more active (had a desk job mostly at megacorp) and since I am preparing more of my own food, my portions are smaller. Eat lots of seafood, red meat maybe 1-3 times a month. Turn 60 in January.

On track to hit my goal of 550 miles hiking in 2021, and play racquetball 1-2 times a week (have played since 1976!). Generally feel pretty good, love the lack of gut.

But I have noticed that I just can't lift things as easily as before, and my wife disdains that my "nice ass" is gone, and that now I have OMB (old man butt).

So, wondering about sustainable changes in diet and exercise that might help. I have never been busier in my life than I have been the last 5 years and I don't want to slow down!

To get strong, lift heavy weights. Progressive overload. Check out Stronglifts for a good starter program. Basic compound lifts (deadlift, squats, bench - squats for sure for your butt). Small sets, 5 sets of 5 lifts is a good start. Add accessory stuff (curls, etc.) after you get used to a basic routine, 3+ months in.

Add protein to your diet. Don't have to eat less or cut stuff out, but you generally want about at least 1gm of protein per lb of body weight, if not more, to start building some muscle. Greek yogurt is great. Overnight oats for breakfast, stuff like that. Dabble with protein shakes to drink during a workout. Eating to gain muscle is a lot of fun.

As a guy, you will be able too easily get some growth from newbie gains, but as an older guy don't expect anywhere near the gains a 30 year old can get.

If you don't have a lifting gym, you could start with dumbells and body weight, but to really get stronger you need to be able to increase the load every workout or two. Luckily, most basic equipment (bars, plates, benches, racks) is a lot easier to find now than it was a year ago.

We've started doing Qi Gong and Tai Chi videos. I had scoliosis with uneven shoulders my whole life and the videos are visibly building up the muscle mass in my weaker shoulder and improving my scoliosis. Plus we're building up our Qi and who doesn't need more of that!

The Tai Chi / Qi Gong videos are working out so well I started rereading some of my traditional Chinese medicine books on other ways to build up Qi with our diets.

Last edited:
I just got my 1st Shingrix, Shingles vaccine today. This may be a bit "under the radar" as far as a preventive vaccines go (especially in these days of Covid vaccines) but I think its important. My mom and others I've known suffered from Shingles and it is a terrible condition that can be very debilitating. Have others here gotten the vaccine (recommended for over 50 YO)? Any bad side effects from the vaccine to be aware of (the side effects sheet they gave me scared me a bit). Thanks.

I've gotten both Shingrix shots. Both times it hurt way more than a flu shot. Couldn't sleep on my left side for a couple nights. Also, had the never-popular flu-like symptoms. Felt like crap, stayed in bed two days. Out of bed but still felt like crap 2 more days. It's a shot I'm glad I don't have to get every year.

Last edited:
Exercises: golf, workout, bicycle, ping-pong, occasional hiking
Mental exercise: writing, reading, playing Go
Diet: intermittent dieting (try to adhere), eating less meat, drinking green tea

My big vice that can negate the above: two drinks per day.

I just got my 1st Shingrix, Shingles vaccine today. This may be a bit "under the radar" as far as a preventive vaccines go (especially in these days of Covid vaccines) but I think its important. My mom and others I've known suffered from Shingles and it is a terrible condition that can be very debilitating. Have others here gotten the vaccine (recommended for over 50 YO)? Any bad side effects from the vaccine to be aware of (the side effects sheet they gave me scared me a bit). Thanks.
Whole thread on it.

https://www.early-retirement.org/forums/showthread.php?t=89949

Hope I did this right [emoji16]

115 and razztazz, thanks for your responses and the link to the thread did work! Good to know others experiences. I will post mine at the other thread over the next couple of days.

I got it and no problems other than a sore arm.

I had. 24 hour “flu” after the first shingrex so I made sure I got my second shot on a Friday in case it happened again ( since I was working ) and sure enough I did get sick the second time.

Back
Top Bottom