The High Cost of Early Retirement

Along with being just simplistic in thinking, that was actually not all that well written. Is that all I have to do to get published on Yahoo! Finance?

I've read a few Yahoo Finance articles and most offer very general advice that seems to be rehashed over and over. I think many of these Yahoo Finance authors spend more time thinking up creative titles for their columns that will generate the most clicks, and very little time actually researching and writing the column

I look forward to "suffering" and "struggling" as this author seems to think the journey to and journey of early retirement is.

The price to not retire early may be too high. I think your sanity and perhaps your very life is too much to pay. The workplace, at least in my arena, has changed. The stress, competition, trying to do the work of three people (and getting no thanks), learning and relearning computer systems and programs.

No thank you. I don't care if I could make billion dollars more. Nothing is worth the peace and joy I have in retirement. Besides, I'm fine financially and live exactly the way I want.

There's no doubt that ER has a *high* monetary cost. I'm pretty certain I would hit 5-10M net worth (current dollars) if I kept working to 60. But I guess I've decided that I already have enough.

Interestingly, the author himself is an early retiree so he also came to same conclusion as all of us on the board.

At the end it says he was eased into retirement. Sounds like sour grapes to me. His five reasons are a perceptive glimpse of the obvious that most people on these boards have planned for.

The price to not retire early may be too high. I think your sanity and perhaps your very life is too much to pay. The workplace, at least in my arena, has changed. The stress, competition, trying to do the work of three people (and getting no thanks), learning and relearning computer systems and programs.

No thank you. I don't care if I could make billion dollars more. Nothing is worth the peace and joy I have in retirement. Besides, I'm fine financially and live exactly the way I want.

Yeah, sounds about right.

After my wife and I have died, I hope we leave just enough behind in our bank accounts to pay for the urns our ashes go into. Why would I work one more day just to put money in the bank? If you have earned enough to stop working, then why keep working?
Tom

Studies vary, but after a certain point saving extra money isn't going to buy any additional financial security or happiness:

"Good news! Apparently, happiness is on sale for the new, low price of $50,000."

"So it seems the sweet spot is somewhere between $50,000 and $75,000. If you make under $50,000, you might be stressed about your financial situation. If you make over $75,000, the additional returns on working longer hours might not be worth it anymore. "

The Salary That Will Make You Happy (Hint: It's Less Than $75,000) - Forbes

In the article they focused on longer hours but additional work years in an ER context might be a logical substitution.

Studies vary, but after a certain point saving extra money isn't going to buy any additional financial security or happiness:

"Good news! Apparently, happiness is on sale for the new, low price of $50,000."

"So it seems the sweet spot is somewhere between $50,000 and $75,000. If you make under $50,000, you might be stressed about your financial situation. If you make over $75,000, the additional returns on working longer hours might not be worth it anymore. "

In the article they focused on longer hours but additional work years in an ER context might be a logical substitution.

As it relates to my own situation, it actually makes some sense. When my (full-time) salary reached the high $70s back in 1999-2000, I switched to working part-time because I really did not "need" the extra money as much as I needed to rid myself of the awful commute which had just worn me down. Working part-time, my salary dropped into the low $40s but eventually hit $50k before I asked for another pay cut, 17 months before I chucked the whole thing. :)

I've seen this figure before, but I always interpreted it as the sweet spot is making 50% more than your peers (median US income = 50k). Certainly many will not be happy trying to survive on 50k in more expensive urban areas.

Last edited:
Wow! That's a terrible article. Basically - If you retire early, you will have less money than if you don't. Talk about stating the obvious.....

I've seen this figure before, but I always interpreted it as the sweet spot is making 50% more than your peers (median US income = 50k). Certainly many will not be happy trying to survive on 50k in more expensive urban areas.

I think the exact number is going to vary depending on where you live and the lifestyle you are used to, but I interpret the general take away from these kinds of studies as each person reaches their point of diminishing marginal utility in terms of income, or the income their savings can provide, at some point in time.

Bill Gates probably wouldn't be happy living on $50K, but then again earning another $1B probably isn't going to make him a significantly happier person either.

Last edited:
Agree 100%! We cannot choose the place or the time in history in which we are born, we cannot choose our parents. This is where pure luck comes into play. But we do choose almost everything else. I am so thankful for being born here and with opportunities presented by having parents that instilled in me the value of morality, good education and hard work. This was my luck. I made a lot of mistakes along the way, but as you I am so thankful that I appreciated and took advantage of some of the many opportunities that were presented by the fortune of my birth.

One time when I worked as a programmer at the University of California we had a program that hired disadvantaged kids for summer jobs. It was no cost for us, so we hired a few. For any kid that had the desire, it was a tremendous opportunity to learn new things, make contacts, and participate in some very interesting and amazing projects. It was the beginning of the microprocessor era, and we had them working there, not junk work, but potentially really interesting stuff. I recall how surprised I was that to a person, they had absolutely NO interest in anything except getting paid, and spending all their money on the latest records, clothes, expensive frivolities for their car, etc.

I contrasted this with some kids of the professors. When they came it, we could not get them off the computers, they were interested in everything. Both of these kids had access to some amazing possibilities, but only one group could see it.

I always wondered what happened to those kids we hired so long ago, they probably did get what they wanted to get. Buying the latest fad music, and shiny things for their cars. I wonder if they ever got anything more.

It was so sad for me to see at the time. I guess I had optimistic images of the big effect we would have on these kids future. Was the beginning of my conversion to cynicism. These kids just didn't have a chance, they were born in the US, had access to education, but unfortunately were not born to parents who would encourage their curiosity and industriousness.

Don't be too sad - a lot more of us "disadvantaged" kids did succeed, you just rarely hear about us because it doesn't sell ads or suit someone's fund raising purposes :). Sometimes just being in that atmosphere you described might not seem that it made a difference at the time but a seed can be planted that grows into something worthwhile later. Been there, learned it. :)

I've read a few Yahoo Finance articles and most offer very general advice that seems to be rehashed over and over. I think many of these Yahoo Finance authors spend more time thinking up creative titles for their columns that will generate the most clicks, and very little time actually researching and writing the column

+1

This article is written for the majority of people who didn't plan and save; written to make them feel good about themselves, at the expense of leaving out all of the good stuff about RE.

That pretty much sums it up. I think if you can't save any money and won't live below your means but hate your cruddy job and don't do something about it, (like teaching yourself self control or how to invest off the internet, even)...You can't retire early or even retire. Whose fault is that?

And my idea of retiring early is not 55 or 60. It's more like 45! And that's not someone born with a silver spoon.

That pretty much sums it up. I think if you can't save any money and won't live below your means but hate your cruddy job and don't do something about it, (like teaching yourself self control or how to invest off the internet, even)...You can't retire early or even retire. Whose fault is that?

And my idea of retiring early is not 55 or 60. It's more like 45! And that's not someone born with a silver spoon.

Amen, brother! :dance:

The author of the article retired at 50?

They call 'em link farms. When I google stuff, I just plain do not go to low quality sites (like yahoo) because there's never anything insightful there. Another is ask.com and that ilk. If you look up changing a tire, it will have a five step process, starting with stop the car, get out, and the last step will be "change the tire" without any detail. Written by someone who googled tire changing, but has never done it.

There was also like a Princeton study which showed that more money does make you happy (because a lot of problems result from not having enough) but after like $85k, people aren't happier.

That is, the person earning tens of millions isn't happier than the guy making $100k.

Unless I guess having exotic cars, staying at 5 star hotels and flying first class (or on a private jet) truly makes one happier.

There was also like a Princeton study which showed that more money does make you happy (because a lot of problems result from not having enough) but after like $85k, people aren't happier.

That is, the person earning tens of millions isn't happier than the guy making $100k.

Unless I guess having exotic cars, staying at 5 star hotels and flying first class (or on a private jet) truly makes one happier.

Some of it is also just what you are used to. In the book the The High Beta Rich, is was hard for some families to go back to flying commercial when the recession hit. In one of the stories, a little girl asked her mom what were all these strangers doing on their plane?

The Wild Ride of the Wealthiest 1% - WSJ.com

One woman was sad because she couldn't afford to finish her 90,000 square foot mansion, and had to stay in the 26,000 square foot mansion, even though in the old house when they have "parties with, like, 400 people, it gets too crowded."

The Dude Abides !

After my wife and I have died, I hope we leave just enough behind in our bank accounts to pay for the urns our ashes go into.

Urns cost too much !

from the Big Leboski movie...

lebowski%205.jpg

big-labowsky-beach.jpg

Last edited:
I was really "lucky" when I spent hours banging my head through calculus and various engineering courses instead of smoking dope all day.

I was twice as "lucky " then as I banged my head through Calculus (and even Differential Equations) AND smoked dope all day to eventually be a successful Engineer who will ER before 55!

Back
Top Bottom