The magic of an I open green space

rayinpenn

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
There was once an old elementary school here -It was built in the 60s and frankly it was squat and ugly. I wasn’t at all upset when they knocked it down it. Now there is a glorious giant green field that attracts dog enthusiast, people with metal detectors and those who just love an open green space. There’s an old horse farm next door and the new owners have cleaned up all the overgrown bushes, planted an orchard and built a giant fenced in garden. This I see each and every day when I have my exercise walk- it is maybe a 10 minute walk up a little hill. The white stone house on the corner on the right you can’t see was built in 1829. Coming from overbuilt Nassau county on Long Island where ever inch of open space is over used and often littered the vistas here bring a smile to my face each day. The white object in the field is a giant rock - we have lots of those. I have no doubt the metal detector guy will find the odd mini ball fired from some ancient gun. People have walked these grounds for 200 years.

While I always miss my Long Islands homes 10 minute ride to the harbor and the many sunset strippers that fell prey to my poppers. Pennsylvania has its joys too. These days finding joy is imperative - It was in the 60s today the dog and I sat outside in the sun. The tomatoes made their way into the greenhouse and were replanted into bigger pots. They will require my close special attention for a few days. God I’ve missed the heat. 20200428_123410.jpg

Last edited:
Green space is healing to me, even more so now that I am staying home all the time except for two quick (15 minute) trips each week to pick up curbside groceries.

I live on a small highway, and there is no safe or convenient green place to walk close to my home. But I do have 1/2 acre, and I try to get outside in the yard in the sun for at least 15 minutes or so every day - more if possible, if I don't have too much w#rk to do.

My boss and I had our bi-weekly (Skype) touch-base visit today, and we agreed that just getting outside and feeling the sun and seeing green things growing does wonders for our mood and spirits these days.

We live next to a small golf course and it is just now getting warm enough on a few days for us to go sit out back and enjoy the view.

We are fortunate to have ~20 miles of greenways and trails just a few miles away. Surprisingly, many of the trails are very remote in spite of being in a county of almost one million residents. I hike 3-5 miles most mornings, then join DW for her 2-3 miles at a more leisurely pace. Yesterday, we shared a Subway sandwich at our turn-around point.

Yeah, being in the woods is a cathartic , particularly during this plague.

I've spent a decent enough time on backyard cleanup through March and April. Laurel had taken a beating recently, and much of it is dying from a fungus. So there is plenty cutting, raking and bundling to be done.

When walking, there are multi-mile paths paved by the county a few hundred yards away. Near us the trails are not closed, and provide 1-2 mile wooded views. The wooded area around the school is more tenuous, as more people use that.

We have a few lakes nearby. Think of wetlands, rather than boating and beaches.

I do miss the Delaware River walk (navyyard.org) and woods at the foot of Broad Street. But don't miss the job at all. We'll have to go over there when the dust settles.

The nearby state natural area where I do most of my hiking is closed. I used to hike there 2-3 times a week. I miss it and can't wait to get back there.

Attachments

• goose lake prairie pano 2.jpg
    goose lake prairie pano 2.jpg
    364.4 KB · Views: 23
After ocean and mountains, green space is perhaps the 3rd reason we moved to paradise (I guess it would be a tie with the folks who live here.) We do live on the lee side of the mountains, so during some summers, the mountains resemble SoCal dry season. Still, everyone seems to irrigate the green spaces associated with their properties (from houses to condos/apartment houses.) If we need a "fix" of green, we simply drive a few miles of beautiful coast until we come to the windward side of the mountains. Alternately, when we go through the mountains, I can almost feel my BP going down when I stare at the Ko'olaus as I emerge from the Tetsuo Harano tunnel on the H3 heading Windward. Coming back that way, is like a helicopter ride through the greenest mountains I know. With a little luck (and a lot of rain) the whole windward side becomes a series of waterfalls. Breathtaking!

Just a quick search gave me this video: Enjoy. Full disclosure: I do NOT own a bike and would not ride one on the H3, so YMMV.

OK not so green, will be on our new library card. Photo courtesy of Steve Wolfe.

Poppies1 Wolfe small.jpg

Back
Top Bottom