The NextDoor Neighbor Feed is Just Ridiculous

^ I get that it's tempting to parody some of the silly posts there but the huge downside is that it only encourages others, and the % of posts that are crap just increases. And it's mocking your neighbors which can sometimes not end well, especially when you know they use a website known for having passive-aggressive members. Those people should be using fake names.

^ I get that it's tempting to parody some of the silly posts there but the huge downside is that it only encourages others, and the % of posts that are crap just increases.
The signal to noise ratio is already low enough to make that site useless so I really don't see any harm with someone having fun with it. I personally wouldn't waste my time and risk angering my unstable neighbors but if someone else wants to I say more power to them. Sites like Nextdoor and Facebook are a net negative for society and the sooner they go away the better.

^ I get that it's tempting to parody some of the silly posts there but the huge downside is that it only encourages others, and the % of posts that are crap just increases. And it's mocking your neighbors which can sometimes not end well, especially when you know they use a website known for having passive-aggressive members. Those people should be using fake names.
I don’t use my real name on any social media site, not even the ones that say you have to. And I’ve never been confronted or challenged on it because I use names they can’t know are false…

I don’t use my real name on any social media site, not even the ones that say you have to. And I’ve never been confronted or challenged on it because I use names they can’t know are false…

I use my real name but leave out most of the letters! And I include some of my phone number in it too!:D How else would I remember it?

Aside from dog poo being put in your bin, the other big topic around here is snake sightings. "OMG, I saw a copperhead! Everyone, I saw a copperhead!"

So in Florida Nextdoor do they have constant posts about alligator sightings?

Copperhead sightings here are just noise if you live in the Piedmont of the Southeast.

Aside from dog poo being put in your bin, the other big topic around here is snake sightings. "OMG, I saw a copperhead! Everyone, I saw a copperhead!"

So in Florida Nextdoor do they have constant posts about alligator sightings?

Copperhead sightings here are just noise if you live in the Piedmont of the Southeast.

Urban Coyote sightings are the big animal one, poop in trash bins, and people taking photos of houses* or "a car drove by! Should I call the police." Lots of is this snake poisonous (or OMG snake) -almost always black racers.

* "drive by" appraisals are common for insurance to verify roofing/property condition.

Urban Coyote sightings are the big animal one, poop in trash bins, and people taking photos of houses* or "a car drove by! Should I call the police." Lots of is this snake poisonous (or OMG snake) -almost always black racers.

* "drive by" appraisals are common for insurance to verify roofing/property condition.

Amazing how consistent it is among different regions.

Yesterday we had: "Pony tail guy driving by, looking at houses, should I call the police."

I'm waiting for a photo of me (or having the police called) to show up on ND. I often have Amazon packages delivered to an Amazon Locker about 2 miles from my house. I almost always walk there and back through an urban neighborhood that is very active on ND while carrying my package. I probably pass 80 houses on that walk.

We recently had a situation on my ND where someone was bitten in their yard by a copperhead. They immediately went to the emergency room and the race was on to find the anti venom. A doctor on ND knew where some was and helped get it to the person who was bitten. The cost was $65,000. I never knew the anti venom was so expensive. A Go Fund Me was set up to help pay for it, the person had some insurance but they still had to pay a lot out of pocket. ND was a big help in this instance. Watch out for those copperheads.

Last edited:
We recently had a situation on my ND where someone was bitten in their yard by a copperhead. They immediately went to the emergency room and the race was on to find the anti venom. A doctor on ND knew where some was and helped get it to the person who was bitten. The cost was $65,000. I never knew the anti venom was so expensive. A Go Fund Me was set up to help pay for it, the person had some insurance but they still had to pay a lot out of pocket. ND was a big help in this instance. Watch out for those copperheads.

Yeah, I just assumed larger medical facilities in snake "infested" areas would have anti venom in their pharmacy. It's hundred year old technology. Guess I watch too many reruns of House. YMMV

Yeah, I just assumed larger medical facilities in snake "infested" areas would have anti venom in their pharmacy. It's hundred year old technology. Guess I watch too many reruns of House. YMMV

There have been so many snake bites in my area lately that the large ER had used all theirs and were temporarily out so they had to find some elsewhere. Why is it so costly?

There have been so many snake bites in my area lately that the large ER had used all theirs and were temporarily out so they had to find some elsewhere. Why is it so costly?

Maybe the snake wranglers that have to milk the snakes to begin the process demanded more money - I would!:cool:

Mine is pretty reasonable, mostly lost dog posts. We also live in a rural area so there are quite a few "which contractor will actually drive here to give a quote."

About half the posters live in a specific concentrated subdivision and assume the group is just for them. This is not really annoying to me but they do post a lot of HOA activity and complains which is kind of amusing.

We have had a flyer in the mailbox or on the gate a few times for it. I never took the bait. I have my own camera at the driveway and perhaps they spotted that. It is useful for seeing when a package has been left, and that's about it. It is not connected by any cloud app, I have a linux server for that.

Mine is pretty reasonable, mostly lost dog posts. We also live in a rural area so there are quite a few "which contractor will actually drive here to give a quote."

About half the posters live in a specific concentrated subdivision and assume the group is just for them. This is not really annoying to me but they do post a lot of HOA activity and complains which is kind of amusing.

There is a way to limit the neighborhoods you see on ND. If you look at your settings you might be able to eliminate that subdivision. You can also block certain people on your ND feed.

Nextdoor? I've seen it described as a "dumpster fire". Can't say I disagree with that assessment. Wife and I pulled the plug some time ago. Our neighborhood's facebook page has all of the info we need to know.

There is a way to limit the neighborhoods you see on ND. If you look at your settings you might be able to eliminate that subdivision. You can also block certain people on your ND feed.

I get reports for most of the city going out about 7 miles in radius. I don't mind as I've lived in many of them over the last two decades and it is interesting what's happening... to the extent I read ND (started looking at it more since this thread materialized.

The neighborhood designations can be weird. I am in an urban area and on the border between two business development districts (lots of residential with more coming now) but not in any of the traditional neighborhoods that are adjacent. There are some good private FB groups for the neighborhoods but won't accept me because I am literally across the street... communities in practice blend and don't have hard lines unless geographically isolated by "tracks" or terrain. Sort of in limbo wrt neighborhood identity... there are 4 I could claim but none will have me! :LOL:

I quickly switched to a weekly summary email and just glance at the headline.

Remember, half the people in your town are below average. Guess which half are most likely to live on NextDoor.

My NextDoor is basically just useless with no drama. Just a bunch of folks posting their services, home baked goods for sale, requests for recommendations (which often seem to be answered by someone "recommending" their own business), lost pet notices, and doorbell camera videos of the latest wildlife in the yard. Yawn.

I just went to our ND and here is a sampling (oh boy):

Why is it tht HOA's can tell 1 person to move a trailer, move RV back a foot but the let others do the same thing and never say a word to them and even have yards not mowed, junk everywhere, im not pointing to no one here just pppp's me off. So if they want to tell 1 wht and how to do it tell everone the same way.

Water Bill was 277$ … !!!? What is going on now is it only us ? or you have the same issue it’s been high recently .. even though when we left the house for vacation for more than 20 days , the bill was above 130$ can some one explain to me why :confused:?

Just seen what appeared to be police lights through my front door glass. It was a white truck with blue/yellow flashing lights (I think) and they were driving slowly through the neighborhood and appeared to be spraying something. Does anyone know who this was or what they were doing?!

So, we have Optimum which used to be Suddenlink. We don't have a problem with their service but we shouldn't be paying over $100 for internet. It's ridiculous. We even have our own modem. It just seems like they offer all these promotions but when you try to get the same ones being offered obviously their not for current customers, only new which to me is BS. Especially after switching to them from Spectrum 3-1/2 years ago. I will never go back to them. So my question to all of my neighbors is, has anyone started using the Tmobile 5G home internet and if so, how good and reliable is it? How many devices are being ran off of it as well? Looking for positive or negative things about it. Thank you.

I think I'd rather go to the dentist than have to read this stuff all day long like apparently many people do.

Be glad you weren't reading it during the toilet paper shortage.

Be glad you weren't reading it during the toilet paper shortage.

Actually our ND was helpful during the Great TP Shortage. We had people who volunteered to help other people out, deliver TP and groceries, etc. I think my ND is much better than most I see reported here. I am a moderator and we delete some of the more outlandish posts.

Back
Top Bottom