The Photographers' Corner 2013-2020

Status
Not open for further replies.
That's a lovely shot, Ronstar.

Southern Geek, I love that first shot. There is an axiom floating around that one shouldn't put the horizon in the middle of a frame. This picture is a great lesson that these axioms should not be regarded as "rules," only "suggestions." That is a killer composition.

Southern Geek, I love that first shot. There is an axiom floating around that one shouldn't put the horizon in the middle of a frame. This picture is a great lesson that these axioms should not be regarded as "rules," only "suggestions." That is a killer composition.

Thanks. That photo is, by far, my favorite of all the ones of taken with the camera to date. I get a feeling of serenity whenever I view it.
I was trying for a composition that maximized the lunar reflection on the sea with both the moon and fishing boat in the frame. The location of the horizon was just a by product. I had a lot of anxious minutes waiting for my ship, the fishing boat, moon reflection, and the moon to line up to get the shot. I was afraid that the moon would get too far above the horizon before the fishing boat came into alignment. But, it worked out just perfect. I didn't do any retouching. I didn't think any was necessary.

+1

I can finally relax, now that the wedding I was asked to photograph is over. No equipment failure fortunately, but a lot of unexpected technical challenges. Nevertheless, the newlyweds and their parents thumbed through my pictures already and they were very pleased with the results. I have enough good pics to create a substantial wedding album, which I intend to give as a surprise gift to the happy couple.

Congratulations on getting that behind you.

Relax? I should say so - isn't it way past your bedtime, or are you still on Pacific Standard? :cool:

Relax? I should say so - isn't it way past your bedtime, or are you still on Pacific Standard? :cool:

:LOL:
Yep, I'm still badly jetlagged. I go to bed pretty early but I keep waking up around 3:00am.

Southern Geek, nice job on stitching together the composite shot of the moon!

Southern Geek, nice job on stitching together the composite shot of the moon!

The ICE software did all the work. All I had to do was drag and drop the images I wanted the software to composite. The image I posted is much reduced in resolution from the original composite image which is hundreds of megabytes in size.

Spider Spinning A Web

Found this spider spinning a web this morning. Learned that the auto-focus on my Nikon D5100 can't focus on spiderwebs and had to switch to manual focus. I'd not really used manual focus with this camera before. I discovered that the focus ring on the telephoto lens I was using is way too sensitive - very small adjustments resulted in big focus changes. Barely touching it would get image out of focus. I seemed to recall that my manual Minolta from years ago did not have this level of sensitivity for focus control - perhaps because that camera was designed to be focused by a human, not a computer controlled servo motor.

Attachments

• DSC_5578_01.jpg
    DSC_5578_01.jpg
    523.2 KB · Views: 25
Last edited:
Here's one taken with an old (by digital standards) Minolta A2, my first digital camera. Once I saw how much better digital was than my film, there was no looking back.

This image is from central/southern Italy. I think it would be better if I cropped out most of the trees on the lower edge, but then they also add some depth, IMHO. What do you folks think?

Last edited:
Personal preference of course, but I'd leave it as is with the depth from the trees. The plow lines make the image.

Looking up through the chandelier at the Hagia Sophia dome, Istanbul, Turkey.

Last edited:
Handheld?

What kind of ISO?

Pulled off the road and took this shot of the tundra with my new sony point & shoot.

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByEarly Retirement Forum1388799977.723477.jpg
    ImageUploadedByEarly Retirement Forum1388799977.723477.jpg
    65 KB · Views: 30
ImageUploadedByEarly Retirement Forum1388945161.785368.jpg

Taken on Boxing Day from my home, with my iPad 2.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom