The Photographers' Corner 2013-2020

Status
Not open for further replies.
I like the balloon shot as well. Nicely done.

I had to sit there and look at it a while to figure out where the light was coming from. The flame inside the balloon doesn't look that bright through the fabric of the balloon but then I saw what appears to be an open vent facing the spectators. What led me to that was the shadows - on the lower left is a guy who appears to be taking a cell phone picture - his elbow casts a shadow on his shirt. Then came the "Aha!" moment.

I had to sit there and look at it a while to figure out where the light was coming from. The flame inside the balloon doesn't look that bright through the fabric of the balloon but then I saw what appears to be an open vent facing the spectators. What led me to that was the shadows - on the lower left is a guy who appears to be taking a cell phone picture - his elbow casts a shadow on his shirt. Then came the "Aha!" moment.

Walt - After your post, I looked at the photo again. The balloon is unusual in that it has a front "skirt" that attaches to the bottom of the balloon.

The balloons took part in a "Desert Glow" where the balloons all hit the gas and illuminate at dusk while still tethered to the ground. The skirt hides the illumination of the flame toward the crowd during the Desert Glow and directs the illumination to the upper part of the balloon.

The photo was taken while the balloon was firing up and filling prior to the Desert Glow. People were allowed under the balloons until all balloons were ready for the glow. It was luck that the skirt helped to reflect the light back onto the faces of the people below.

Walt - After your post, I looked at the photo again. The balloon is unusual in that it has a front "skirt" that attaches to the bottom of the balloon.

The balloons took part in a "Desert Glow" where the balloons all hit the gas and illuminate at dusk while still tethered to the ground. The skirt hides the illumination of the flame toward the crowd during the Desert Glow and directs the illumination to the upper part of the balloon.

The photo was taken while the balloon was firing up and filling prior to the Desert Glow. People were allowed under the balloons until all balloons were ready for the glow. It was luck that the skirt helped to reflect the light back onto the faces of the people below.
It's a scoop, not a skirt. Commonly used with tethered balloons in certain wind conditions. The people were standing facing the scoop because otherwise the scoop blocks their view of the flame. Seems to me skirts and scoops are both more efficient and safer if they reflect heat, which means they also reflect light. Only possible luck I'm seeing is the photographer being in the right place at the right time

It's a scoop, not a skirt. Commonly used with tethered balloons in certain wind conditions. The people were standing facing the scoop because otherwise the scoop blocks their view of the flame. Seems to me skirts and scoops are both more efficient and safer if they reflect heat, which means they also reflect light. Only possible luck I'm seeing is the photographer being in the right place at the right time

Thanks for the clarification!

Blue Swallow motel on US 66 in Tucumcari, New Mexico.

16561103810_19682d34e3_k.jpg

Nice! Is the car a part of the decor? I noticed the "historic property" sign.

The Photographers' Corner

Nice! Is the car a part of the decor? I noticed the "historic property" sign.

Yes the car was part of the decor. It's a Pontiac - not sure what year. The motel was built in 1939. Our room, (I think all 12 rooms) still has the original 1939 plumbing fixtures and tile in the bathroom. Furniture was from a 1950's remodel. Rotary phone in the room still works. New beds/ mattresses. Lobby has a lot of vintage stuff in it. Very unique place to stay. The mid 50's couple that own and run the place live in a small apartment attached to the lobby (rooms are in a separate building). They are very friendly and love to tell you about the place.

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum

Last edited:
I was out walking along bike path next to Missouri river and saw this interesting sculpture. I think it's related to Native American culture; I was late for an appointment so didn't get a chance to read the signs next to it. I'm going to have to go back and check it out more thoroughly.

Attachments

• DSC_0021.jpg
    DSC_0021.jpg
    708.1 KB · Views: 26
Last edited:
I was out walking along bike path next to Missouri river and saw this interesting sculpture. I think it's related to Native American culture; I was late for an appointment so didn't get a chance to read the signs next to it. I'm going to have to go back and check it out more thoroughly.

It is the "Four-Headed Thunderbird Statue." The next time you should stop and read the signage... along with all the Lewis & Clark stuff.

Bismarck, ND - Four-Headed Thunderbird Statue

Sculpture Celebrates Thunderbird Mythology | Extraordinary Intelligence

FWIW, the coordinates are -100.831918, 46.831082.

(Yes, this is one of the joys of RVing... been everywhere. <chuckle>)

Perhaps a little OT but...

Conflict photographer Lynsey Addario has gotten quite a bit of attention lately after publishing a memoir about her life and work. The book has since made it onto the New York Times bestseller list and will be made into a major film directed by Steven Spielberg and starring Jennifer Lawrence as Addario.

In the interview above by Getty Images, Addario shares and talks about some of the photos that have resonated with her the most (warning: there’s graphic content and some nudity). “One of my goals as a photographer is to motivate people to act,” she says.
If you have five minutes, it is worth watching:

The Photographers' Corner

Thanks- I wish I was on an atv. But I'm out of the photo lower left standing around running the drone controller.

Sent from my iPhone :).using Early Retirement .//82339)

Thanks- I wish I was on an atv. But I'm out of the photo lower left standing around running the drone controller.

Still a great place to be.

(We are camping, this week, on the beach in Los Angeles. <big grin> We will be in Phoenix in a couple weeks however.)

Last weekend in Bangkok.

Attachments

• E_DSC6232.jpg
    E_DSC6232.jpg
    504.8 KB · Views: 18
  • E_DSC6342.jpg
    E_DSC6342.jpg
    830.4 KB · Views: 17
Nice shots Ronstar. Sorry I haven't been around much. Remodeling lower floor of house. Almost done...

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom