The Photographers' Corner - 2021 to ?

Nothing professional about these pictures taken with phone last evening.

Very nice!

I had a couple of smaller ones playing around in my front yard a couple of days ago.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2021-11-13 at 4.49.29 PM.jpg
    Screen Shot 2021-11-13 at 4.49.29 PM.jpg
    663.3 KB · Views: 36
Messing around with focus stacking and Helicon software. Could only get in about 7 shots before the wind blew the leaves off the Jeep.

Attachments

• jeep leaves sq.jpg
    jeep leaves sq.jpg
    990.7 KB · Views: 28
Great pictures Ronstar! What a beautiful home you have as well.

Ronstar, that almost looks like the beginnings of a western nativity scene.
A little too close to home tho.

Great pictures Ronstar! What a beautiful home you have as well.

Ronstar, that almost looks like the beginnings of a western nativity scene.
A little too close to home tho.

Thanks! I have found newborn fawns laying next to the house on several occasions. The moms drop them off, go about their day, and come back for them at night. One of the babies got pelted by a hail storm, started bleating loudly and ran off into the woods for shelter.

Thanks! I have found newborn fawns laying next to the house on several occasions. The moms drop them off, go about their day, and come back for them at night.

We used to get that at our last house. The preferred spot was between the firewood rack and the back wall of the house.

Attachments

• DSC_0004.jpg
    DSC_0004.jpg
    634.8 KB · Views: 27
We used to get that at our last house. The preferred spot was between the firewood rack and the back wall of the house.

Nice! Ours are usually between a bush and our front wall or against a retaining wall planter

Attachments

• deer06032010.jpg
    deer06032010.jpg
    460.2 KB · Views: 29
Last edited:
Street, some very good shots. You were very close -- are they accustomed to you?

Yes, they are use to me being around so they know they are fairly safe. Anytime of day I go to the ranch it is normal to see wildlife like that.

Thanks for sharing the fawn pictures!! Those are fantastic!

Here are triplets from a few years back.

Attachments

• whitetail fawns.jpg
    whitetail fawns.jpg
    113.8 KB · Views: 37
TOOLMAN's impressive macro work on the last page inspired me to go out and terrorize the local bugs again. This guy was sitting on the bedroom window this morning:

51681430762_ba8a0a4e84_h.jpg

Some macro today

Attachments

• 21G_4620.jpg
    21G_4620.jpg
    319.3 KB · Views: 35
  • 21G_4631.jpg
    21G_4631.jpg
    413 KB · Views: 34
Toolman, awesome subjects with clean details.

Good pick of rare triplets Street!

Very nice shots Stepford and Toolman! What lenses do you use for your macro photos? (we might have gone over this before, but I forgot.)

Good pick of rare triplets Street!

Very nice shots Stepford and Toolman! What lenses do you use for your macro photos? (we might have gone over this before, but I forgot.)

About 20 years ago I ran through a bunch of different camera equipment, and in particular, tried out several different macro lenses. The 100mm macro lenses made by most manufacturers do quite well for most little critters. The exceptions, I found, were for:

A. Flying critters (which work better with a longer telephoto lens with a decently large magnification ratio) I use a 300mm lens (often with a 1.4x extender) for butterfly/moth/hummingbird shooting for this reason.

B. Really small creatures. Most macro lenses have a maximum magnification of 1:1 (meaning the image formed on the sensor is no larger than the size of the object in real life). Canon makes a specialty macro lens called the 65mm MP-E that goes up to a whopping 5:1 magnification that I've used for most of my bug shots for the last 15 or so years.

I love the MP-E, but it's a hard lens to use. No autofocus or image stabilization and depth of focus is razor thin. Really best if used on a tripod, but fun to try handheld nonetheless. Back when I had younger steadier hands I could routinely shoot the MP-E handheld at magnifications up to 3:1, but these days I rarely use it past about 1.5:1 and would probably be better served by one of the newer image stabilized 100mm macros.

Last edited:
Is there a story with this photo?:D

Somewhat. Buffalo Rock State Park near Ottawa Il has a fenced in pasture for bison. They had 2 last year, now 3. The fence is a 6' chain link that is tough to get photos through - the lens is bigger than the chain link openings.

This bison appears to be an old one. Couldn't get decent shots of the other 2. One charged the fence when I was leaning against the fence taking pics. Missed being gored by a few inches - the bison got its horns through the fence. I didn't see it coming because I was taking pics of the other 2.

About 20 years ago I ran through a bunch of different camera equipment, and in particular, tried out several different macro lenses. The 100mm macro lenses made by most manufacturers do quite well for most little critters. The exceptions, I found, were for:

A. Flying critters (which work better with a longer telephoto lens with a decently large magnification ratio) I use a 300mm lens (often with a 1.4x extender) for butterfly/moth/hummingbird shooting for this reason.

B. Really small creatures. Most macro lenses have a maximum magnification of 1:1 (meaning the image formed on the sensor is no larger than the size of the object in real life). Canon makes a specialty macro lens called the 65mm MP-E that goes up to a whopping 5:1 magnification that I've used for most of my bug shots for the last 15 or so years.

I love the MP-E, but it's a hard lens to use. No autofocus or image stabilization and depth of focus is razor thin. Really best if used on a tripod, but fun to try handheld nonetheless. Back when I had younger steadier hands I could routinely shoot the MP-E handheld at magnifications up to 3:1, but these days I rarely use it past about 1.5:1 and would probably be better served by one of the newer image stabilized 100mm macros.

Thanks! I have a 55mm Nikon micro lens similar to your Canon 65 mm. Manual focus, no image stabilization, but very sharp.

I was thinking about getting a 100mm macro, but I only shoot non living things in a macro (product photo) sense indoors. I think that most things I shoot are too big for me to shoot indoors at 100mm, so I'll stick with the 55mm although the manual focus is tiresome.

Somewhat. Buffalo Rock State Park near Ottawa Il has a fenced in pasture for bison. They had 2 last year, now 3. The fence is a 6' chain link that is tough to get photos through - the lens is bigger than the chain link openings.

This bison appears to be an old one. Couldn't get decent shots of the other 2. One charged the fence when I was leaning against the fence taking pics. Missed being gored by a few inches - the bison got its horns through the fence. I didn't see it coming because I was taking pics of the other 2.

I was wondering where you took that photo. And lucky you didn't get gored!:)

Back
Top Bottom