The Photographers' Corner - 2021 to ?

Volubilis 3rd century BC UNESCO Site Id: 836

Partly-excavated Berber-Roman city in Morocco situated near the city of Meknes that may have been the capital of the Kingdom of Mauretania, at least from the time of King Juba II. Before Volubilis, the capital of the kingdom may have been at Gilda. -Wiki

Blessed to visit friends and have my father along for our journey. Grateful we saw Marrakesh prior to the quake.

Volobilis.jpg

"The Strat" LV, NV via West Helicopter. Off kilter as we are banking in the chopper, my 8 year old' son's silhouette in the foreground.

Strat-Heli.jpg

KeyWest Sunset Crowd.
KeyWest-Sunset.jpg

Hoover Dam looking West towards the land of opportunity.
kg-hoover.jpg

I just posted the last DSO I imaged this year, and here is the last one I worked on (I redid it yesterday). This is The Pinwheel Galaxy M101, 21 million light years away, a bit above the last star in the Big Dipper's Handle. This was one of the first objects I imaged and would not normally be a beginner target. When I started this pursuit, a supernova (SN 2023ixf) was blooming in the Pinwheel, and I wanted to catch it while the catching was good. I'm glad I did because it has collapsed into a neutron star or black hole since. ....

Fantastic pics.

And by "since", you mean 21 million years ago, right? :) It's just so hard to think on these scales, that event happened so long ago, and the light is just reaching us now.

-ERD50

Snapped a picture of the last full moon (called the cold moon) of the year.

Attachments

• 2023-12-26-cold-moon.jpg
    2023-12-26-cold-moon.jpg
    137.4 KB · Views: 12
Last edited:
^^Very nice! Supposedly the air is clearer for moon shots in the winter. At least in the northern climes.

Thanks. This shot was handheld, using a Cannon bridge camera. I did touch up a little using software to add a bit of sharpness.

Comet Tsuchinshan

I forgot about one last capture at the end of the year. I learned a day late that comet Tsuchinshan/62P was passing through the Leo Galaxy Triplet, making for a great photo op. I set up a session that night in Namibia, but high winds aborted it 30 minutes in. I got half the of the luminance exposures I wanted but no RGB. I went back a night later and got about 25 minutes each of R, G, and B but they were pretty blown out by the moon. Even worse, the comet had moved quite a bit from the day before, so I needed different framing to catch it with the galaxies. With a lot of work, I was able to align the images and clone the color comet data from day 2 back to the day 1 position that I already had luminance data on. I was pretty happy with the brute force salvage. The comet is the fuzzy blue/green ball. It's a little outside of the Mars orbit and doesn't have much of a tail. The galaxies, of course, are too far away to comprehend.

Attachments

• Comet1_2_new_Cropped_PS.jpg
    Comet1_2_new_Cropped_PS.jpg
    216.4 KB · Views: 15
Here is the Rosette Nebula in RGB. This is from only 15-minutes of exposure for each of the 3 color channels. I was intending to use it for natural looking stars on a Hubble Pallette (SHO) image, but I had problems with that data. The Rosette Nebula is 5000 light years away in the constellation Monoceros. It is high in hydrogen emissions, thus the red color.

Attachments

• RGB_Starless_GHS_PS.jpg
    RGB_Starless_GHS_PS.jpg
    399.1 KB · Views: 14
Last edited:
Winter sunrise in northern Illinois

Very nice Ron. Throughout my career as a photographer I began to realize that two traits define good photographers; an eye for composition, and most importantly the ability to see and understand light, whether supplied by nature or produced by the photographer (in the studio, for instance). You do a great job at both.

You and I are also woodworkers. High quality woodworking and photography are similar in that they require mastering the technical skills first, and then those with good creativity will produce the best work.

Back
Top Bottom