The Third Metric: Redefining Success Beyond Money & Power

My point was that by choosing a suitable lifestyle, it appears that some can achieve happiness with much less than the commonly accepted $75K/yr.

Agree! These figures are averages, and we all know that averages by definition gloss over lots of individual variability. Personally, I love stories of people making happy lives for themselves on the cheap. I think so much of this has to do with individual philosophy and beliefs. It's not like a biological requirement, the RDA of vitamin C or something. It has everything to do with individual values, beliefs, yada yada.

A recent study established a link between financial resources and happiness ("emotional well being"), specifically noting that there was a certain amount of money beyond which happiness itself isn't improved. The dollar amount was a household income of $75K.

Yet, that $75K is a median number, meaning some might answer a low number like $30K, while a fewer percentage of population would say as high as $200K+. I am willing to bet the former group would include a lot of young people just starting out, and many people who are currently unemployed. And the latter would certainly include most doctors, businessmen, etc...

And then, if we are to conduct the same survey elsewhere in the world, will we be surprised to find that the median happiness number varies in proportion to the countries' median income?

The point is that we are all influenced by 1) our peers, whether we admit to it or not, and 2) our own current condition.

About the peer pressure, I just have a theory about my group of happy $20-$30K low-budget RV'ers. They may be so because they see the poorer RV'ers struggling on meager SS!

In my case, among the people I hang around like my former work friends and my relatives, I did not do too bad. Some maintain a higher standard of living than my own, but gosh, they are still working their butt off, while I goofed around for months on RV treks, before coming back to my stick homes, which are just a bit smaller than theirs.

I will describe a bit more about 2), the influence of own current condition.

Many of us who ER'ed claimed that we pulled the plug when we had enough. But how did we determine that level? What's your number? If your career is a highly-paid one, you will want a few millions, perhaps even 10 cool ones, to feel safe. Most people would be quite happy with a barely 7-figure portfolio though, and that is a function of what they have been able to save up to that point.

If our job were easy-money, we tended to want to do "one more year" to get more. But if the work condition got stressful, we would console ourselves that we did indeed have enough, and it was time to let go.

So, my conclusion is that in order to maintain our happiness and keep our desire in check, we want to look down, not up. For the decamillionaires, that means learning not to envy the billionaires' yachts.

As for me, I like to research my favorite low-budget RV'ers, because it is so easy to put myself in their shoes. After six months of getting lost in the woods, when I could not hack it anymore, I would go home and declared the experiment a success. Hey, even Thoreau only stayed at Walden Pond for 2 years, 2 months, and 2 days.

The idea of looking down is not for schadenfreude. That's just too mean. It is so that we feel lucky that we have it better than some even poorer chaps, instead of looking up and envying people who have more.

But I think we are getting too far from the idea in the article quoted in the OP. The idea is not about dropping out when one reaches a certain level. It's about not killing oneself in one's work, about not being too much of a type A, and not sacrificing family life, etc...

Nothing's wrong with that, but hey, that's just another platitude to us laid-back early retirees. What else did we drop out early for?

Last edited:
Evidently it's not obvious to most of our citizens, 76% who reportedly live paycheck to paycheck. 76% of Americans are living paycheck-to-paycheck - Jun. 24, 2013

Does that article make any sense? Maybe I'm misreading?

76% of Americans are living paycheck-to-paycheck - Jun. 24, 2013

Roughly three-quarters of Americans are living paycheck-to-paycheck, with little to no emergency savings, according to a survey released by Bankrate.com Monday.

Fewer than one in four Americans have enough money in their savings account to cover at least six months of expenses, enough to help cushion the blow of a job loss, medical emergency or some other unexpected event, according to the survey of 1,000 adults. Meanwhile, 50% of those surveyed have less than a three-month cushion and 27% had no savings at all.

Are they saying that anyone with less than 6 months expenses in a savings account is 'living paycheck-to-paycheck'? According to that definition, I am 'living paycheck-to-paycheck'! :LOL:

Turning this around, ~ 25% of those surveyed have 6 months or more in a savings account. Where are the people with 3 to 6 months savings? OK, so the 27% with no savings are a subset of the 50% with 3 months or less, so I guess that leaves ~ 25% with 3-6 months in a savings account.

I'm not sure that 3 months in a savings account equates to 'living paycheck-to-paycheck'. If not, then 75% are NOT 'living paycheck-to-paycheck'. And I wonder who they surveyed? Maybe 1,000 households that applied for loans? Without methodology, it's hard to say anything at all except "This is a headline".

-ERD50

Psychologists have studied this for decades. Beyond a modest income, there's little correlation between income and happiness.
What's a "modest" income? (I think that's really what the study is talking about.)

The point is that we are all influenced by 1) our peers, whether we admit to it or not, and 2) our own current condition.
I think those factors cause perturbations around the median, but the median itself is affected mostly by the cost of living.

Are they saying that anyone with less than 6 months expenses in a savings account is 'living paycheck-to-paycheck'? According to that definition, I am 'living paycheck-to-paycheck'! :LOL:

I am now adopting this standard to describe myself when people I know start sniffing for loans!

What's a "modest" income? (I think that's really what the study is talking about.)

I think those factors cause perturbations around the median, but the median itself is affected mostly by the cost of living.

... and the standard of living, which varies over the world.

Residents of a 3rd world country would not dream of owning an average American home of 2,400 sq.ft., air conditioned, with a 2-car garage, and 3 cars parked outside of said garage because the latter is choked full of "stuff".

I maintain that what people here define as basic necessities are way beyond that. The standard is set by the average Joe/Jane around us, and if we have less than they do, we feel unhappiness.

Well, there's the "80% Rule".

Example: If it costs you "100" to get 100%X, you can likely get "80" for 50%X. It's not linear and that last 20% is a killer.

A lot of people have jobs that demand "100" in effort but folks around them get 80% of the lifestyle/pay/benefits/house/car/'stuff' for 50% of the effort.

We used to call it "the big lie" when promoting someone. "You get to now work twice as hard/much and get a 20% raise in pay"

Depends on the study. In general, once you're out of poverty and into the middle class, you've got most of the bang for your buck. Best I can remember, there were figures of around 50K for individual income, in the studies I've seen (might need some adjusting for inflation). Beyond that, more money didn't seem to make a whole lot of difference.

Well, there's the "80% Rule".

Good point.

Last edited:
Beyond that, more money didn't seem to make a whole lot of difference.
Isn't the most recent study about that cited earlier in the thread? I'm not sure why the $75K number is so offensive to some folks in this thread, but regardless, if there are other recent studies, showing a lower number, then they'd be published as well. It is important to recognize that America's standard of living shapes this number, but also important to recognize that expecting others to overcome American cultural conditioning in that regard, on their own, is unreasonable. National culture is something we share, and is something we craft together.

Isn't the most recent study about that cited earlier in the thread? I'm not sure why the $75K number is so offensive to some folks in this thread [....]

You cited it, so why ask whether it was cited?

I'm not sure whether your "offended" comment is directed at me, but if so, let me clarify -- I'm not offended by it at all. It lines up with decades of research and doesn't surprise me at all, much less offend me. Just adding my two cents about previous research and the limitations of applying averages to any particular case.

No question that YMMV applies. Asceticism as a religious value would work to lower such a number.

I struggle to understand this whole issue. Why would someone need "research" to tell him what he needs to be happy? Surely a person knows what he likes, and what is not important. So if you are not getting value for your spending, spend more wisely. If you are, carry on.

Q.E.D.

Ha

I agree with this. Regular polls here or at Bogleheads show that most people are ok with monthly spending between $2,000-4,000, or about $75k gross I guess. Most people here seem to be happy with this level of spending also, which is good to know for those like me who plan to FIRE. So the rest of our time can be spent on the third metric.

My point was that by choosing a suitable lifestyle, it appears that some can achieve happiness with much less than the commonly accepted $75K/yr. Maybe they did not get the memo.

And if we ask these millionaire gurus who preach simplicity, I suspect that they would call $75K/yr a miserable lifestyle.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom