Things you have learned on the forum

Go ahead.

What's that adage about arguing with fools? I will walk away, and others will see that the name caller was describing himself. :cool:

Sometimes yes, sometimes no... Generally a pretty savvy group here for the most part. ;)

I learned about all kinds of "trigger" income levels I never thought of before. For example: IRMAA, based on two years previous. (Watch out!)

If you haven't visited the sticky thread, it is a must for everyone. It is well maintained by our moderator gumby, who has a lot of moxie.

Some important "trigger" income levels for 2023.

Sometimes yes, sometimes no... Generally a pretty savvy group here for the most part. ;)

No need to resort to name calling.

Often, I entered what I thought was a learned collegiate discussion, but somehow it became a heated debate. At that point, if I still carry on, it will be to present my thinking to other people, and no longer to the opposite side whose mind cannot be swayed. He could present his case, instead of using names.

No name calling necessary. I would just lower myself to his level.

Last edited:
Porky cannot be everywhere at once. And he gets tired too. :LOL:

Mods are human too... Different tolerance levels, interpretations, opinions and they have good and bad days too. You can always use the "report" button if you think a post is over the line... Works well.

Ah, I see the "post" I was responding to has disappeared. Should have used the quote feature. :facepalm:

Last edited:
^^^ I never reported anyone. I just walked away.

Mods are human too... Different tolerance levels, interpretations, opinions and they have good and bad days too. You can always use the "report" button if you think a post is over the line... Works well.

Ah, I see the "post" I was responding to has disappeared. Should have used the quote feature. :facepalm:

I took it down just for the reasons you state above. I wasn’t sure how it would be viewed and I don’t need a mark on my permanent record. :LOL:

^^^^

My compliments sir! (FWIW, I didn't think it was out of line) But I do think we are drifting off topic a bit.

Last edited:
Aaah shucks. I missed all the fun. I need to get up earlier - or go live further east! :LOL:

I already posted here, but want to add a "shout out" to Audreyh1. I have a fear of heights and we were headed to South Padre Island. There's a long bridge to Padre Island. Audrey assured me it was not that bad and posted a link to a YouTube video of someone driving over the bridge. I watched that video over and over. When we got to that bridge I was no longer anxious. And she(might be he :)) told me about an awesome restaurant there.

When you need help with something, being neck pain, a lemon OLED TV from Costco, what sheets to buy, what series to watch...you can pretty much go anywhere on this forum and someone will respond, with respect I might add.

Last edited:
I have come late to the party, having retired in 2009 at age 70. Some of the subjects do not impact me, such as ACA, when to take SS, Roth conversions, etc.
I am impressed with the breadth and depth of knowledge of the members, as well as how great our moderators are.
I have learned I will never be a finish carpenter or own a boat and how many ways to BTD, such as Iberico ham, Waygu beef, etc.
There is always a subject every day that piques my interest.

^^^^

My complements sir! (FWIW, I didn't think it was out of line) But I do think we are drifting off topic a bit.

Yes, we are veering off course. But since we are there, let me take this opportunity to remind everyone that there are a limited number of moderators and they are all volunteers with other things going on in their lives. Accordingly, the moderators cannot and do not read every post. So, the fact that a post you might find objectionable is still up is not an endorsement of that post by the moderators. It is probably the case that we just haven't seen it yet. As mentioned, don't hesitate to use the red triangle to report problems. It is a great help to us. We may not always agree that there is a problem, but at least we have a chance to consider it.

Now let's get back to the actual topic of the thread. Thanks.

Interesting. We have water hammer that likes to creep up and go crazy when we run our dishwasher at night usually as the water heater is refilling. Please do tell me more.

Please check your inbox.

Most important for me was learning how to calculate the value of my disability benefit versus my investments.

And I have seriously enjoyed all the possible ways one can Blow that Dough. Including all with more dough to blow than me.

It's been interesting reading about all the options/tools available for US investors compared to where I am from.

I haven't learned a great deal, though that is not because there isn't a lot of information on this forum; there is. It's simply because this single guy who is a renter, and only owns a bicycle, a campervan, and a cat, didn't need to know much to secure a happy retirement with a consistent income. It's the 80/20 rule - 20% of the knowledge gave me 80% of the results. The main things I have learned -

1) That I can achieve a consistent income in retirement with a simple portfolio that requires very little maintenance (thank you FIRECalc and index funds),

2) That it's important to consider the tax consequences of my financial moves,

3) That when W2R goes Whee......well, you know :LOL:

There are, of course, many other things but, for me, these have been the most important ones. Well, the first two were anyway :D

Adding to my own list, although it is not relevant to me yet, as I approach 65, I will begin to find the threads on Medicare very interesting and useful.

I also like the discussions on how to have an estate settled, for those who have no children and are likely to have no direct family nearby when they go to the great e-r.org forum in the sky. I still haven't figured out how to make sure my money gets into the hands of people that I choose, when I finally decide to go into the fertilizer business.

I don't post too much, but I do try to review what is going on regularly, as I do learn a lot from the folks on this forum.

Probably the most significant learning for me was preparing a withdraw strategy many years ago (which as memory serves me, I stole lots of ideas from Samclem and Audrey when developing my VPW plan). Of course, not having any kids learning Robbie's BTD strategy was equally important, tho that is still a work in progress.:LOL:

One big benefit I have gleaned is references to authors, Nassim Taleb and Richard Thaler in particular.

I have also learned quite a bit about bonds, as I have always been highly concentrated in equities.

Another thing I learned is how to avoid fooling with estimated income tax calculations and payments by simply paying the safe harbor amount by withholding from a tIRA distribution in December. DW and I just paid yesterday in fact.

I learned just about everything from what to do and not to do in the financial world. I also learned that not all great advice, solid advice fits for everyone. I learned that people got to where they are today taking different avenues, but the end point resulted the same to ER.

I learned a few common denominators for ER folks and that most LBM were early savers/investor and had a plan that worked for them.

I've learned that the people here are very trustworthy and have helped me every time I have had a dumb question.

I also like and learned that there are some social threads and categories to talk about life other than money. I have learned much from the Health category and many others.

I'm very thankful for what I have learned from such quality very educated people on sooo many subjects.
I think the biggest thing I have learned, although I have not seen it addressed on this forum, is the investing philosophy of capital preservation while trying to hit homeruns. Of course what exactly that means AA wise is the million dollar question.
I first came upon this by reading quotes by Stanley Druckenmiller. Mr. Druckenmiller said he got this philosophy from George Soros.

I've gotten considerable help, over the years, on many issues including travel, home repairs, health/medical, and recently great advice about telescopes.
I hope some advice I've given has helped as well.

FIRECal
Led me to make the right decision to FIRE at the right time and have a fantastic life now.
Individual bond investment, thanks to Freedom56 and others . (But still struggling on dumping the bond funds)

Fire calc truth, I-series bonds, fixed income approaches with CD's and Treasuries and bonds. You experienced folks on this board humble me. Thank you.

I have been listening to the wise forum members for over a decade. Started with stock threads, but I most appreciated hearing about what locals like (and dislike) about different areas across the country and just random questions which impart lots of life wisdom.

First heard about MLPs K-1s, David Sinclair, sink hole maps, RMD to Roth strategies, Medicare advice, and a lot of great advice about SoCal beaches and Oregon/Washington places to consider for retirement.

Firecalc
Opensocialsecurity.org
The nuts and bolts of Roth conversions
Ladders
I-bonds
The number 1 thing that was driven home?
Time>money

I moved all the tax withholding and estimated tax payment posts to a separate thread dedicated to the topic. It is in the "FIRE and money" subforum.

Back
Top Bottom