Think of your heirs!

I'd guess that the process for an inherited brokerage/bank account would be simpler (not having to open a special account first), if the beneficiary already has a brokerage/bank account that could receive the funds.

And it's even easier if these accounts are held in trust. Because then you wouldn't even have to transfer funds from one account to another. If you are a successor trustee, the trust document and death certificate should be enough for the institution to give the successor trustee access to the accounts. There they can make disbursements to other beneficiaries and pay final expenses directly from the trust.

>>(Post #26) ....He has a small dumpster load of paperback books/cds/dvds that "charities" (scams) send him as thank-yous for his donations. He wants me to find a place that wants them rather than throwing them out.>>

When it comes to downsizing, it's always a touchy subject, LOL. If you have any senior living/skilled nursing/eldercare facilities within reach, contact them by phone and ask if they're interested in such donations. Some are, some aren't; but the ones who do accept them are such you at least know will be able to use them.

In order to keep him from tossing mementos, I told him to just leave it all. When the time comes I'll pick through stuff for a few keepsakes, donate the furniture, and dumpster the rest. Seems like it would just be easier that way in our situation.

+1

For some reason, folks tend to value dollars of "stuff" more than dollars of computer entries on brokerage or bank statements.......

In the years before my dad (a widower by then and living 10 hours away) passed, we talked about all the "stuff" in his house, much of it untouched since mom died. He was uncomfortable dealing with it. Between thinking things had some monetary value that they really didn't, getting sentimental and not really having the energy or interest, little got done. But, it turned out that it didn't really matter.

When he passed, DW and I had one week to wake and bury him, take what we wanted from the house and leave the remaining stuff and the house with a realtor to sell or dispose of. And we did it, not easily, but we did it.

We made arrangements at the funeral home and they took care of everything except tying my tie. We just had to show up, greet and shake hands, etc. We found a realtor who was willing to handle arranging for an auction house to sell the furniture, a disposal company to toss the rest and a handyman and cleaning service to prep the house for sale.

We drove down in my pickup truck and that defined the amount we could haul home. Of the six days we were actually down there, we spent two going through things, boxing as appropriate and loading the truck and one day running around town following dad's attorney's instructions for closing things down. (Note: we did visit dad 3 - 4 times a year and were generally familar with his things and his business.)

At the end, we figured a thorough prior de-cluttering and sales effort might have yielded, at most, $3k to $5k more than we eventually got. Of the various idiosyncrasies in the way dad ran his life, that was far from the top of the list of things not financially optimized! And it would have put him though a tedious chore he had no interest in at a time when the appropriate thing was for him to enjoy life surrounded by his "stuff."

More financially impactful were the discoveries of things like too much money in the zero-interest checking account some of which should have been in a short term CD, some tax filings where he needlessly paid too much, holding some stock losers which should have been sold long before, etc. But it seems we, like most others, fretted more over things like the auction house only getting us $50 for the couch that we think we could have sold for $150.

Looking back, I'm glad we didn't push him to declutter and sell. That amounted to a loss (opportunity cost actually) of maybe $3k to $5k and a few days hustling by DW and myself. But, so what?

Last edited:
I have one asset, my sports cards collection, that has some value and could be difficult for a non-collector to figure out. I cataloged what I have (for my entertainment as much as anything), and also have them organized and displayed in a way that makes it easy to find the 500-1000 cards that have some decent value among the 25,000 cards that do not. I suggest the latter can be tossed if he doesn't want to keep them. There's also a guy who will take any common cards and give them to kids via some program that could be worthwhile. I also left some suggestions on how best to sell them (if he wants). That may change, but carrying or shipping 500 cards is a lot easier than the whole collection.

A year ago he would've just had an unorganized mess but it's been fun organizing them.

I have a TOD with VG and my understanding is that they will open an account for each person named, and will transfer the appropriate # of shares. With mutual fund shares going to thousandths that doesn't seem like a problem. I expect to not touch the biggest gainers and want my heirs to get the advantage of step up basis.

Right, I’m not concerned about my father’s brokerage TOD as all holdings are in mutual funds.

Back
Top Bottom