Those currently working and planning ER aren't going to like this

The irony of at least my life now in my mid 50's is I struggle to buy things for pleasure. We already have all the home, furniture, clothing, food, two sports cars (I no longer drive and sit in the garage), and other crap ones life normally obtains in the accumulation phase. I collected watches for many years and have over 20 yet still find myself looking on eBay and crono24 for another one and for what? To fill a void? It was then I thought instead of buying expensive things that just sit in a bank safe deposit box, I maybe just need to go back to work. I will say my dogs do appreciate me being home though.

I never made a lot so I had to entertain myself inexpensively without buying a lot of stuff. Some of the things we do to keep busy and have fun are:

- golf, which means spending a few hours having fun with friends.
- my GF has been on the same ball team for 30+ years. Friends and family come to watch games, we meet for drinks after games, there are parties and barbeques, etc.
- playing in bands, which gives me my music fix. I also only play with people who I consider friends so there's the social interaction, not only among band members but also with their partners. I've been in one band for almost 40 years.
- DIY projects. Friends and family help each other build decks, fences, etc. Spouses and kids come along and it turns into a barbeque/party.
- just having friends or family over for a day or evening.

Retirement just gave me more time to do those things that I was already doing for decades. But, if you haven't spent the time building those relationships over the years then you're facing an uphill battle at retirement.

I retired at 58 and 7 months later was asked to teach a online college class which was something I had never done before. I enjoyed teaching for 8 years. I also do a little consulting. I enjoy traveling, walking, knitting, dogs, etc but the most important thing in my life has always been my relationships with family and friends. I spent a lot of time getting together with people for meals, walks, playing games, etc.

Any of you at this point? ER not what you though it would be? Do I just need to take my own advise and find better hobbies?

I planned for years for my early exit, achieved my financial goals right on schedule, and left my job at age 54 when our three kids were then ages 17, 11, and 7. Took me about twenty seconds to adjust. Never looked back, never missed work, never felt the need to get any kind of job part of full time. I am now at my highest ever levels of income and net worth. Got in some fun travel and fun times with family in the 21 years I have been retired.

I find I’m a sampler.

Our two part-time, work from home gigs, plus our portfolio, meet our needs and keep us stimulated. However, I am enjoying finding other little ways to make extra cash, like pursuing cash-back credit cards, which will generate a few thousand this year. And I got obsessed this spring and summer to the point of burnout by finding free but good furniture, refinishing it and reselling it on Facebook Marketplace, making a couple thousand. Even in FIRE I’m still over-achieving, LOL.

To me, early retirement is all about gaining the freedom to pursue whatever you want. I didn't expect to work again after retiring, but in the end I took an extremely flexible, very part-time job that pays little. It's fun and thoroughly satisfying. Here's the crucial point for me: It has nothing to do with my previous career and calls upon different skills.

Back
Top Bottom