Time for me to get hearing aids

I bought my first pair of HAs about seven years ago with my employer's insurance plan, my cost was around $1100 and now was due a new set. I had been told a set usually lasts 3-5 years. There is no mention of hearing aids in my retirement health care plan and I had decided go check out Costco. Just for giggles, I called my insurance company and yes, I did have coverage for a new pair. Cost me about $900 for a $4K set. My first pair was in the ear, this pair is behind the ear. Don't think I'd get behind the ear again. I wear glasses and it's just too much 'stuff' behind the ear, then if I have a day that I want to wear a headband, add that to the mess.

OP here, with an update. I just visited Costco and made appointment for mid-July (first available as I have upcoming vacation). Had to join Costco, but paying $58 to save a couple of thousand is a no-brainer -- especially since they guarantee satisfaction or refund the membership fee. So, if perchance I'm not happy with the exam/hearing aids, I can walk away with no net money loss.
Now that I'm committed to getting hearing aids, I'm actually excited about it. Only downside is I will no longer have a valid excuse why I can't hear DW chastising me for my latest mistake, whatever it might be.

OP here, with an update. I just visited Costco and made appointment for mid-July (first available as I have upcoming vacation). Had to join Costco, but paying $58 to save a couple of thousand is a no-brainer -- especially since they guarantee satisfaction or refund the membership fee.

DH got the Costco membership for hearing aids; we've since started using Costco for meat, cleaning items, paper goods, electronics, even a new mattress. Our grocery spending is down even though we haven't changed what we eat. It helps to have a lot of storage space but I wish we'd joined sooner. I'd thought it didn't make sense for a 2-person household but it did.

Morning. I did about a 6 month search for replacement hearing aids. Started at Costco. Can't say enough good things about them - good hearing check, free trial, no problem returning. Overall, after much trial with various hearing aids and sellers I just went outside of Costco. The brand I got was a Widex 330 that Costco didn't carry.

Hearing Aid Forum.com is a great site for feedback.

I found TruHearing was able to provide the Widex at a great price. Suggest check out - they have free trials and great prices which, for me, were as affordable as Costco.

But you can't go wrong starting at Costco.

Kannon

Last edited:
Funny, I don't have those issues, and I have a lot of hair and often wear glasses - as well as those big sunglasses that fit over your glasses. The behind-the-ear part is smaller than the first joint of my pinky finger. My great fear is losing the aids due to high activity levels, such as when I work outside or am turning myself inside out at the gym. I often find myself reaching to touch the aids to be sure they are still there.

I Don't think I'd get behind the ear again. I wear glasses and it's just too much 'stuff' behind the ear, then if I have a day that I want to wear a headband, add that to the mess.

I was born with a hearing problem. When I first got a hearing aid it was one that fit in the ear. I was in my 30's. But as my hearing got worse I had to go to the BTE type. I am restricted now to that type. There is a Costco about an hour away.

I see hearing aids on Amazon.com as low as $30. Most have just ⭐⭐⭐️ Or so, but you can get 4+ stars products for under $100 (digital, multiple programs, variety of tubes and cones). Seems to be a low cost way to experiment and see if you can get by using a cheaper product.

Yes, for the most part, hearing aids are regulated by state. You can thank the old-school (and largely impenetrable) good-ol'-boy hearing aid dispenser alliances in your state for that.

I got mine from an Audiologist. With insurance paying $2500, I paid the same for my Phonaks as the Costco price ($2800) would have been for their brand. My price includes follow-up trips.

So because of this discussion I checked out the site:
Hearing Aid Styles and Pricing

I notice, the price can be nearly double depending upon your State, ouch....
I think I'd be willing to drive to another state, for the actual purchase as I hate paying double due to some State legislated rule.

I see hearing aids on Amazon.com as low as $30. Most have just ⭐⭐⭐️ Or so, but you can get 4+ stars products for under $100 (digital, multiple programs, variety of tubes and cones). Seems to be a low cost way to experiment and see if you can get by using a cheaper product.

Sort of like dime store reading glasses? Has anyone tried the cheap generics?

Booked an appointment at Costco for a hearing test on the 27th for myself and DW. They sure are busy as that was the earliest appointment I could get.

Booked an appointment at Costco for a hearing test on the 27th for myself and DW. They sure are busy as that was the earliest appointment I could get.

I just read an article in the NYT about personal sound amplification products, you might find it informative. http://www.nytimes.com/2016/07/19/health/hearing-aid-alternatives.html?_r=0

Browsing the Etymotic website the other day - they make high end ear plugs - I saw a "home hearing test for consumers" and thought of this thread. Etymotic Research | Home Hearing Test - Home Hearing Test - Consumer

Never let an intelligent conversation go without a slightly offtopic comment... Probably wrote this before, but anyway...

One of DW's friends bragged that she had gone to the audiologist for a "free" hearing test, and received as a bonus, a Christmas turkey. DW's like me, ultra frugal when she hears "free".

Off to the Hearing Center for the 3/4 hour test, a better sales pitch than the local car dealer. Damned If I have EVER heard so much pressure. Even forced me to take the test too, at which point I found out that my ear hairs were irretrievably destroyed, and I would be totally deaf in less than a year.

Salesman had a phone call, and DW took the break to whisper to me, "we're outta here"... Half way to the door, two other workers rushed to block the door., and our salesman attacked again with the most rabid last minute try that I've ever heard. This made my bride mad, and she gave him the evil eye, and he surrendered. We were thru the inner doors, and on our way... free... until...
DW goes back and says to our defeated salesman... "HEY!!!"... "Where's our free turkey."

I was so proud.:flowers:

BTW... I bought the "pockettalker" mentioned by 6miths (in an above post) for $1 in our local resale store. Agree with the recommendation... good for situations where appearance does't matter. Very clear.

Last edited:
I just read an article in the NYT about personal sound amplification products, you might find it informative. http://www.nytimes.com/2016/07/19/health/hearing-aid-alternatives.html?_r=0

Browsing the Etymotic website the other day - they make high end ear plugs - I saw a "home hearing test for consumers" and thought of this thread. Etymotic Research | Home Hearing Test - Home Hearing Test - Consumer

Thanks for that. Very interesting, and might be worth trying, but want to see the Costco results first.

DW and I both had our Costco hearing tests this morning and both of us tested with very good results at all frequencies, technician said to come back next year.

Perhaps I just have to live with difficulties hearing conversations in noisy environments like restaurants.

OP back with an update. It is now Day 2 with my new Costco hearing aids. So far so good. Comfort is not a problem; for the most part I don't even feel them in my ears.
I've been able to watch TV without closed captioning, and definitely hearing everything better. Right now, they're at 70%; audiologist says we will increase it in 10% increments every 2 weeks,
Only 2 days, but so far I'm a happy camper.

For any of you who are veterans and you think that you may be in need for a HA, why not consider getting tested by the VA? If approved, you may qualify for testing, HAs, batteries for life, semi-annual humidifier, follow-up visits for life and maintenance of the HAs.

It's a benefit that the American people are willing to pay for 100% if service connected as thanks for your service.

Last edited:
Well, you've just proven my notions correct - discomfort with restaurant noise levels is not a hearing-loss problem, or not entirely. Even with my new aids, I still have difficulty holding conversations in noisy spaces.

I read the Washington Post restaurant reviews regularly. The reviewer has said, more than once, that "Noise" is diners' No. 1 complaint. He says "diners," not "older diners," or "diners with hearing loss." The fact is that restaurants used to have more noise-absorbing features, such as thick carpets, tablecloths, even fabric wallpaper; and they often featured booths and banquettes with high sides. Modern restaurants have stripped away those features in order to save money, and make the place look more open and modern. Hence, noise.

Oh, and some people really do mumble, or talk too fast. I had assumed all along that it was me, but it's not. My hearing test included a "word discernment" portion, where I scored 100%. Notwithstanding, and even with aids, I sometimes have to ask young people to repeat what they just mumbledreallyfast. I think there may be a real generational difference in speech patterns.

DW and I both had our Costco hearing tests this morning and both of us tested with very good results at all frequencies, technician said to come back next year.

Perhaps I just have to live with difficulties hearing conversations in noisy environments like restaurants.

Last edited:
Well, you've just proven my notions correct - discomfort with restaurant noise levels is not a hearing-loss problem, or not entirely. Even with my new aids, I still have difficulty holding conversations in noisy spaces.

I read the Washington Post restaurant reviews regularly. The reviewer has said, more than once, that "Noise" is diners' No. 1 complaint. He says "diners," not "older diners," or "diners with hearing loss." The fact is that restaurants used to have more noise-absorbing features, such as thick carpets, tablecloths, even fabric wallpaper; and they often featured booths and banquettes with high sides. Modern restaurants have stripped away those features in order to save money, and make the place look more open and modern. Hence, noise.

I agree. I do not need hearing aides at all, (not even close yet as I can hear a golf ball hit a green from 150 yards out) but background noises in restaurants detract seriously from my table conversation. Sometimes I can hear other tables conversations better than the one I am at. I got a theory that young people have either better concentration skills or young ears that can filter needless noise better. As I certainly dont remember EVER having background noise problem when I was younger no matter how noisy the restaurant was.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

That makes me feel better that its not just me, and yes, it does seem there are a lot of mumblers out there.

We eat lunch out every day at cheap not-so-fancy restaurants during off hours, so there are seldom more than 1-3 other occupied tables. We never have any trouble hearing one another over the other customers.

On the other hand, I can relate to not being able to hear in a busy restaurant. I dislike that so much!

I remember when my brothers and I were kids, adults always used to tell us to speak up and we would joke about it behind their backs. "Eh, sonny? SPEAK UP!" :ROFLMAO:

In addition, when my brothers and I were children, my mother insisted/demanded that we always enunciate which of course entailed speaking absolutely clearly and properly. I still do make an effort to enunciate (which I would imagine might give people the impression that I am stuck up). But kids these days? I don't know but do wonder if they even understand what the word "enunciate" means. :rolleyes: Or maybe I underestimate them.

I still don't need hearing aids but in recent years my hearing has gone from unusually good, to just a little better than normal. So if the decline continues, then I expect that I may need hearing aids in about 10 years. At that time I plan to go to Costco to get them. It will not be nearly the blow to my vanity, that aging itself has been. So that aspect is not worrisome to me.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom