Time spent in income-producing activities

How many hours a month do you spend earning or managing money?

• 0-10

Votes: 12 26.1%
  • 10-25

Votes: 6 13.0%
  • 25-50

Votes: 5 10.9%
  • 50-100

Votes: 2 4.3%
  • Over 100 but still retired

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Still working, not retired yet

Votes: 21 45.7%

• Total voters

dory36

Early-Retirement.org Founder, Developer of FIRECal
Since DanTien has been on sabbatical lately, I thought I'd post this second poll in response to the thread about defining ER.

I have one friend who spends 2 hours a day studying his stocks, making occasional trades. He "retired" years ago. I have another friend who owns rental property that is fully managed by a management company while he is at sea on his sailboat, so he spends no time managing those assets. By some definitions, the former is retired and the latter is only semi-retired.

Regardless of the definition, I wonder how much time we spend on these things?

How many hours a month do you spend either working for pay or managing your assets?

I tweak an hour or two a day because I want to, but I'm set up so that I don't have to.

The weekly hours have been steadily declining as my learning curve flattens. Beating the market can be done, but it's real work.

I purposefully designed my investment portfolio to require minimum maintenance. I wasn't interested in a second career trying to micro-manage my investments or beat the market. Too much trouble - takes away from "real" life IMO.

I also knew that a very simple scheme meant less opportunities to second guess myself. Managing the psychology of it all (being able to sleep at night, not feeling compelled to review market averages and investments on a daily basis, not needing to listen to "pundits" every day to try to get a glimpse of where the market is heading) - this is also pretty key to a good quality of life when you are living off your investments.

Of course many people enjoy the investing side of it and consider the above activities to be entertaining and provide some meaning to their daily life. So this is definitely a "to each his own" kind of thing.

Audrey

Does it count if we do stuff ourselves that we used to pay money to have done?

How about if we do stuff that most people pay to have done?

Cute Fuzzy Bunny said:
Does it count if we do stuff ourselves that we used to pay money to have done?

How about if we do stuff that most people pay to have done?

In your case, no.

I spend a lot of time ala Bogle - hurry up, just stand there.
Meanwhile Vanguard's computers rebalance their little hearts out.

Doing nothing is a tough job - but somebody's gotta do it.

heh heh heh heh heh heh - putzing in dividend stocks doesn't count - that's just hormones acting up.

The rentals have averaged 'bout an hour/day. Helps knowing your limitations and having good contacts. This way I can quickly PAY and have 1 day turn around with just a phone call.

Back
Top Bottom