Tipping

Well, "suddenly " is a bit strong. Likely took over a year for most places to adopt the practice. Again, whether they add the fee or ask me to do it, the end price comes out just about the same. While I absolutely hate the idea, 3% isn't going stop me from going out to eat. And these places are packed! If I stopped going, they wouldn't miss me.

An extra $6 bucks on a $200 dinner? I'll survive. There's free parking so I don't have to pay a valet! Just wish that we did it like they do in Europe when we lived there.
For us it's not about the money. If a place has mandatory gratuity or extra service charges we just stop going there. The only time we attend a place like that is if it's a social gathering because we value time out with family or friends more than the extra charges. But as a couple they've lost our business. I know we're only 2 people and they won't miss us, but we don't care...there are still plenty of other places to try.

For us it's not about the money. If a place has mandatory gratuity or extra service charges we just stop going there. The only time we attend a place like that is if it's a social gathering because we value time out with family or friends more than the extra charges. But as a couple they've lost our business. I know we're only 2 people and they won't miss us, but we don't care...there are still plenty of other places to try.
+1

The suckers who want to keep going and paying those extra fees are the enablers. That won't be me.

+1

The suckers who want to keep going and paying those extra fees are the enablers. That won't be me.

What is the expression? Vote with your feet!

Agree that no two people (or one customer) will make a difference, but at some point, enough people can sway a business to act differently. One thing is nearly certain. There will come a time when the economy will turn sour for a while and such places will be begging people to come back. Sorry, Charlie. There are lots of other places that didn't gouge me before things turned sour. I'll be helping them out - not the place that tried to nickel and dime me or take advantage of their (then current) popularity.

Heh, heh, I even see this at the fast food places now that have outrageously raised their prices. I've even stopped going there. MY fast food place is the "window" at COSTCO where I can still get a large pizza (deluxe) for $10 or hotdog-and-a-refillable-drink for $1.50. YMMV

By the way, I'm not "that person" who doesn't think businesses have the right to charge whatever they want to. Free enterprise for ever, baby! But I AM that person who remembers when they charge (what I believe is) too much. I reserve the right NOT to do business with them. Also free enterprise (baby.):cool:

Last edited:

But if the world (U.S.) suddenly went "no tipping", it would be the result of the restaurants paying servers a full wage, like they do in Europe. That would mean you paying higher prices. Restaurants have razor thin margins already; there's no room for adding extra cost; they'd have to raise their prices.

In that case, there is an indirect, but 'mandatory/service charge' built into the bill. You'd be paying the same total amount but it would be inclusive and not broken down into two steps. Right?

In essence it doesn't matter if you tip or if the server's cost is built in, you'd be paying the same. There's no free lunch here.

I wrote this blog post on the topic of tipping six years ago and I still stand by it.

(I should add that I live in Europe and here we either tip nothing, or a few coins. But when I'm in the US I "tip", i.e., I "add a chunk of money" to the bill, because I know it's expected.)

Last edited:
But if the world (U.S.) suddenly went "no tipping", it would be the result of the restaurants paying servers a full wage, like they do in Europe. That would mean you paying higher prices. Restaurants have razor thin margins already; there's no room for adding extra cost; they'd have to raise their prices.

In that case, there is an indirect, but 'mandatory/service charge' built into the bill. You'd be paying the same total amount but it would be inclusive and not broken down into two steps. Right?

In essence it doesn't matter if you tip or if the server's cost is built in, you'd be paying the same. There's no free lunch here.
In our state, the minimum wage for tipped workers is already higher than the national minimum wage and not much lower than the state minimum wage. So, in states like mine, tipping should be less than in states where that minimum is a lot lower.

They're already raising prices. Minimum wage just went up in my state at the beginning of the year, and of course, everything is jumping up in price more because of that.

Tipping should be optional at the discretion of the customer. So it's not going to be the same as if restaurants inflate their prices even more.

I'm fully aware that if they have to pay the servers more that meal prices will go up. That's okay because then my $30 entree is $30 when the bill comes, not $25 plus expected tip or auto gratuity. All other businesses without a tipping culture somehow manage to price accordingly, I'm sure the restaurants can adapt.

Well, I just tipped about 7%....

Went to the movies and had the Tuesday $6 margarita for me and DW with some other items and was charged the FULL price for them... no server to come to fix the problem... had to go out front and show someone else... called a manage etc. etc... finally got billed fixed but DW was complaining how long it took...

Good service became bad service in the end... and also wasted my time...

I'm fully aware that if they have to pay the servers more that meal prices will go up. That's okay because then my $30 entree is $30 when the bill comes, not $25 plus expected tip or auto gratuity. All other businesses without a tipping culture somehow manage to price accordingly, I'm sure the restaurants can adapt.

Except that now were in an uncomfortable interim where some places are increasing the hourly wage AND giving you the usual default tip %s on a check that now reflects higher food costs due to the wage increase. So, the staff gets a higher $$ tip due to their increased hourly wages.

Except that now were in an uncomfortable interim where some places are increasing the hourly wage AND giving you the usual default tip %s on a check that now reflects higher food costs due to the wage increase. So, the staff gets a higher $$ tip due to their increased hourly wages.
I live in Canada, and there has always only been one minimum wage (although it varies by province) so servers have always received the same minimum as everyone else.

For many years I had no idea that the US had a different minimum wage for servers.

I live in Canada, and there has always only been one minimum wage (although it varies by province) so servers have always received the same minimum as everyone else.

For many years I had no idea that the US had a different minimum wage for servers.
With many differences between states as well.

Back
Top Bottom