Tipping

If there was such a thing of a walk in "pseudo" gourmet restaurant when you could go in, order a Filet Mignon and the sides at the counter, get it in 15 minutes, eat it and leave, I would be all over it. It takes me about 10 - 15 minutes to cook a filet on my BBQ.

Well then, you might like the place near me. Greek food with good steaks and prime rib. Most folks sit at a table, but they have a small bar counter area were you can order food. If you go before 6:00pm, your wait time for food is minimal (just what it takes to cook it). Early dining price (before 6:30) $34 for a (6 oz) filet, with sides, soup or salad, glass of house wine (or tea or coffee), and Baklava for desert.

My issue is I hate to go to a restaurant, end up spending hours waiting for stuff, then eating, then waiting for a check, then having to pay through the nose for something I do not enjoy doing. I like to go in a place, sit down, eat and get out. Problem is those are all fast-food places and I do not eat fast food.

If there was such a thing of a walk in "pseudo" gourmet restaurant when you could go in, order a Filet Mignon and the sides at the counter, get it in 15 minutes, eat it and leave, I would be all over it. It takes me about 10 - 15 minutes to cook a filet on my BBQ.

Do you not realize that any level of "gourmet" means "You have to wait, our steaks are so fresh we do not go rope the steer until you place your order" :).

But, seriously, in our area, Texas Roadhouse or Longhorn Steakhouse come close to what you have described. They are both fast at taking orders and our food is on the table in about 15 minutes. The cost is not bad, either.

Of course, for us a quick meal does not make the best date night, but at times it will work :).

You'd like quite a few places that I used to go to in China. It's very crowded so you wait out on the sidewalk. A waitress comes around and takes your order and you pay her. Then they tell you your table is ready. Literally 10 seconds after you sit down your food arrives. As you leave, if you turn around another party is already at your table even before you reach the door.

I don't go out for things like steak, easy things to make at home.

I go out for things like Bibimbap (which I do have stone bowls and *have* made at home, but it is quite time consuming and expensive if you use all 12 to 15 ingredients).

Also sushi. I don't have high confidence in my ability to procure raw fish that is safe to eat.

I don't go out for things like steak, easy things to make at home.
Yeah, and expensive to be eating steak out. I normally get something lower cost, like fajitas at a Mexican restaurant for $10. Get water and tip $2 for the 20% tip. Then tax, you're at about $13 total. Although, sometimes I'm looking at $16+ total at other restaurants. Definitely something I'm not doing a lot of.

Last edited:
Heh, heh, you just might like our "elements." DW and I do the next best thing - not a big fan of food trucks either though they are much cheaper than sit down places. We buy plate lunches from either hole-in-the-wall fast food places (not the biggies - mom and pop local places with no seating) or from food stores that offer local fare. Then we take it to a beach park to eat. GREAT elements. Good food. Decent prices. (No truck.:cool:)

Years ago on our first trip to Oahu, a favorite handy place we got plate lunches was nearly on the beach,
It was cheap, fast, and good. We'd sit on the edge of the beach to eat it.

Yeah, and expensive to be eating steak out. I normally get something lower cost, like fajitas at a Mexican restaurant for $10. Get water and tip $2 for the 20% tip. Then tax, you're at about $13 total. Although, sometimes I'm looking at $16+ total at other restaurants. Definitely something I'm not doing a lot of.

What would RobbieB have to say about this?! :LOL:

Mom believed that eating out should be an experience to be savored. "There are those who eat, and those who dine". Sounds like you're in the former group! :cool:

Back from my brief restaurant server days, I will always fondly remember an couple probably in their 70's, clearly from a long marriage together.

The first table I took them, too the wife told me: "oh no dear, we don't want to sit in the middle of the dance floor!" - on that cue I found them a quite booth.

A few minutes later when I asked if they might be ready to order. This time it was the husband: "Not yet, we'd like to get acquainted first."

Very cute.

Years ago on our first trip to Oahu, a favorite handy place we got plate lunches was nearly on the beach,
It was cheap, fast, and good. We'd sit on the edge of the beach to eat it.

Many moons ago when I worked in Oahu, I would go to a Shorebird on the beach, probably ate there 5 times a week for a few months ...... and every time I was in Oahu.

DW and I will split a large po-boy and small fries at our favorite local place. Out the door for $15.00 + tip total. And can't finish all the fries. Their po-boys are very big, I can't finish a large myself so half of it is plenty. And their small fries we can barely finish.

I get so jealous of all of you that can stretch a chicken leg into 4 meals or something.

I am 6'7" 225 pounds and I can get myself around most dishes without leaving leftovers.

I tip 20% when I actually get a service. What I wont do is tip at Starbucks or some other place where there is no service involved. I ordered a coffee. What are they going to do not give me my coffee? "Hey, why haven't I gotten my order?" "I'm sorry sir but you didn't tip." LOL

I have no problem looking these people in the eye as I select "No tip" on the tablet they spin around for you.

A couple of other things. I also remember when tipping was and expected 10% and I'm 61 this year. Maybe it was higher in less rural areas and hadn't made it out to us yet.

Paying cash, I usually hand it directly to the waiter or waitress rather than leaving it on the table. Its not unusual for cash tips to be stolen off tables.

Outside of that, there are times when I go above the 20%. Example: We eat at a local breakfast/lunch diner. The cost to eat there is very low. The food is excellent and always comes out fast. The staff is always bustling. I typically tip them very well.

What would RobbieB have to say about this?! :LOL:
I don't know. Since you asked, I assume he would have just spent a lot of money eating out with no concern how much it cost. $13 is still a lot to me. I can eat at home for less.

My issue is I hate to go to a restaurant, end up spending hours waiting for stuff, then eating, then waiting for a check, then having to pay through the nose for something I do not enjoy doing. I like to go in a place, sit down, eat and get out. Problem is those are all fast-food places and I do not eat fast food.

With the few exceptions of the truly "in" places, it's more a matter of timing than anything else. We tend to do lunch at 11AM and dinner between 4:00 and 5:00PM. With that in mind, there is usually little waiting and things are primed to get orders in and brought to the table followed by a bill/charge card/parking validation more or less all in one. We don't do "fine dining" but we like nice places that are popular. Fit THEIR schedule, and there is usually very little waiting. If you don't like their fare, you don't need to return. Works for us - though we don't go out nearly as much as we used to. YMMV

I have a story for y'all today - I went to a specialty vegan grocery store today for the first time. I got to the cashier and she told me to follow a screen display, and I had to go through a tip option screen!!!! They sell only groceries, folks! (dry, refrigerated, frozen). There's no eating area or anything else.

Yes, the tipping thing has gotten way out of hand.

Last edited:
The requests for tipping has certainly, IMHO, got out of hand.

But the decision to tip and how much to tip remains, in the most part, with the customer.

We are not in any way intimidated by the higher suggested tipping percentages.
Like water off a ducks back back to us.

We will tip 18-20 percent for excellent good service and 0 for non existent service. Nor are we in the least bit inclined to tip for pickup since there is no service involved other than slinging the package to the counter.

Not sure what the issue is? Tipping is at our discretion. If for some reason we tip more than we feel it is warranted because of pressure or intimidation then it is our own fault and we have nothing to complain about.

Last edited:
True, you can decline to tip anytime, but seeing tipping options at a grocery store left a bad taste in my mouth. Quite distasteful and truly annoying IMO. It's like talking to an entitled teenager who thinks they deserve something when they don't.

Last edited:
We are not in any way intimidated by the higher suggested tipping percentages.
Like water off a ducks back back to us.

We will tip 18-20 percent for excellent good service and 0 for non existent service.

The recommended tip used to be 10%, so you must have been persuaded to tip higher at some point.

The recommended tip used to be 10%, so you must have been persuaded to tip higher at some point.

Indeed, nearly everyone falls right in line. Next thing you know, it will be 25% standard tip.

We only used to get about 10% waiting tables when I was younger.

Last edited:

Established pages back that this "used to be" was long before many of us were old enough to pick up a check.

I was at an ethnic specialty grocery store in my home town today. There was a tip jar at the register full of cash. This was a run of the mill grocery store with a check out counter.

I left my change.

What's it coming to.

Established pages back that this "used to be" was long before many of us were old enough to pick up a check.

I guess it depends on how old you are and possibly where you live. I remember 10% from as late as the 90's. However, I'm in Canada and we don't underpay servers compared to other minimum wage employees.

I miss the folks who used to post about buying a half beef and a hog, cutting and wrapping it themselves and filling the freezer. Helping a farmer kill and dress chickens and keeping a few dozen. And buying bulk items like cereal, grains, flour, coffee, dried fruit, fresh seasonal items, etc. at a membership co-op. Of course, a large garden. Everything eaten made from scratch at home. No dining out. No tipping. Just a willingness to help and do favors for others involved in the process.

WTF is an Aldi's, Walmart, etc.?

DW and I couldn't do that, but it was so interesting to read about!

Ever read any of the Firefox books?

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom