Tipping

That is NOT the point, it maybe for you. For us it is the principle of keeping an imperfect system going because we cannot be seen to be doing anything about it.

I have no problem with standing by principles. But going to a restaurant and under-tipping or not-tipping for decent or better service absolutely keeps the system going, without hurting anyone but the server. The owners still make their profit and have no motivation to change when that is the approach.

A principle against tipping, IMO, means avoiding restaurants and/or complaining directly to the owners.

I have no problem with standing by principles. But going to a restaurant and under-tipping or not-tipping for decent or better service absolutely keeps the system going, without hurting anyone but the server. The owners still make their profit and have no motivation to change when that is the approach.

A principle against tipping, IMO, means avoiding restaurants and/or complaining directly to the owners.

Who is saying do not tip? I am not.

What I am saying is there should be a standard for all. Whether that be 10%, 15%, 20% or higher (any higher and that would stop us from eating out for sure). Everyone should be paying the same and it should be clearly marked on the bill. Then if you absolutely must leave more you can.

Hoodwinking people with low surface prices and then adding all sorts of fees is robbery in my books. Take a look at Vegas Hotels ..... $29 a night with a $89 resort fee is an example, just so they can come up first on an online site's search is simply a con.

While I resent the cruise industry for nickel and diming their so-called guests, they do have the gratuity part right. $xx per person per night and done and 20% added to every drink order, take it or leave it. We choose to leave it and not cruise.

Makes looking for a price for something tedious and there may always be something you miss. Using an agent may solve this, I do not know as we always travel "All Inclusive" for those reasons.

It is not because we cannot afford it, we certainly can, but we choose not to partake in the madness wherever we can.

Last edited:

Do nothing and nothing changes. But if everyone stopped tipping the employees will move on to other jobs and the restaurants would have to pay more to attract servers.

I find the angst over tipping to be somewhat amazing. Most systems or practices we just learn and give little thought to.

Tipping, though rather trivial in the whole scheme of things needs, in the view of some, to be fixed. Crusaders set about on one person campaigns to "change" it.

I get it. It can be human nature to major in minor issues. And people's varied views on it are interesting.

But perhaps a crusade to get people to eat their veggies or learn to brush their teeth might be more productive.

Recalling our former first lady's campaign to get folks to exercise was called "Just Move". A modest proposal. Imagine if she had instead exhorted us saying "Just Don't Tip".

But in any event, an interesting thread as always!

Do nothing and nothing changes. But if everyone stopped tipping the employees will move on to other jobs and the restaurants would have to pay more to attract servers.

True, but the transition would be ugly for the employees, especially those making a good living at high tier restaurants.

If tipping is to make up for people earning below minimum wage, they should have a sign posting the wages of the serving staff so I can know what they need.

When I go to pick up a pizza myself now, there is a screen for 15%, 20%, 25% and other on the tip. How much does the person who puts my pizza in a box earn?

True, but the transition would be ugly for the employees, especially those making a good living at high tier restaurants.

My friend's kid used to make $150 - $200 a night in tip at Olive Garden, I can only imagine what servers get in tips at high end places, but I'm sure it's more than enough that they would have saved a little if there was a transition to no tipping.

If tipping is to make up for people earning below minimum wage, they should have a sign posting the wages of the serving staff so I can know what they need.
That's not going to help because you don't know how much tips they are getting from other people. They may be getting enough tips already to make minimum wage, but if they make more than that, that should not be an issue, so just tip what you think is fair. According to the poll, 57% of the people tip 15% or less, but you can tip as much as you want. The pendulum has already swung too far.
When I go to pick up a pizza myself now, there is a screen for 15%, 20%, 25% and other on the tip. How much does the person who puts my pizza in a box earn?
I would not tip for picking up my own pizza, only if someone delivers it, although they charge a separate delivery charge. Tips are not delivery charges.
"It's not the money, it's the principle". But not tipping a server hoping to send a message isn't going to help. It only hurts an innocent person who is stuck in the middle.
Based on my references, it looks like only 2% to 5% of the people don't tip servers at sit-down restaurants. So, 57% of the people tip 1% to 15%. But tipping isn't just about servers. Note that far fewer people tip in those other categories I posted the graphic about. On $100 of food, you could actually be looking at close to $150 total cost with other service charges, taxes, and tip, not just $105 that was mentioned. lol.
Who is saying do not tip? I am not.

What I am saying is there should be a standard for all. Whether that be 10%, 15%, 20% or higher (any higher and that would stop us from eating out for sure). Everyone should be paying the same and it should be clearly marked on the bill. Then if you absolutely must leave more you can.
I'm not a fan of mandatory tips or tips that are paid in advance (like with Doordash) since I think they should be based on the service you have received. It seems higher prices and no tip strategies haven't worked out too well for the places that tried that in this country.

Last edited:
Perhaps restaurants should ask patrons, upon arrival, if they planned to tip or not. And servers at the restaurant can decide whether or not to wait on them.

Perhaps restaurants should ask patrons, upon arrival, if they planned to tip or not. And servers at the restaurant can decide whether or not to wait on them.

This would be dumb, everyone would say yes regardless to ensure their food was not poisoned or worse!!!!

Just add it to the bill already, how hard is that?

Just because greedy restauranteurs refuse to pay their staff a decent wage, it should not be up to the patrons to fill in the gaps.

Can we close this thread please, the posts are getting stupid.

Last edited:

When did that become our problem? The restaurant would first have to pay a better salary or not just lose their servers but also lose their business. This is the restaurants problem to fix. They are the ones who have perpetrated the tip culture with low salaries.

Cheers!

If I was asked that upon arrival I'd leave and never go back.

This is sort of what is happening with the food delivery services, that were discussed earlier. People not tipping (required in advance) are getting delays and cold food because drivers don't choose those deliveries.

This is sort of what is happening with the food delivery services, that were discussed earlier. People not tipping (required in advance) are getting delays and cold food because drivers don't choose those deliveries.

People getting delays and cold food can only blame themselves for continuing to use those delivery services.

But that's the catch isn't it! We can barely get any two people to agree on just about anything lately, even within this thread, let alone a country-wide movement.

I find the angst over tipping to be somewhat amazing. Most systems or practices we just learn and give little thought to.

Tipping, though rather trivial in the whole scheme of things needs, in the view of some, to be fixed. Crusaders set about on one person campaigns to "change" it.

I get it. It can be human nature to major in minor issues. And people's varied views on it are interesting..

!

+1. My thoughts exactly. Never realized it was such a hot button.

People getting delays and cold food can only blame themselves for continuing to use those delivery services.

Some restaurants are exclusive to one food delivery service. If people experience delays and/or cold food they'll just find another restaurant. In the end that restaurant loses.

But that's the catch isn't it! We can barely get any two people to agree on just about anything lately, even within this thread, let alone a country-wide movement.

That is why I like Aldi, and why they are so successful, limited choices. Tipping should adopt the same philosophy.

+1. My thoughts exactly. Never realized it was such a hot button.

In a few short years tip option defaults have gone from 10/12/15 to 12/15/18 to 15/18/20 or 15/20/25, and some are even higher now. Some people get annoyed while others it seems will tip whatever they are told.

Also, the cost of a meal has gone up at least 30% over the last couple years and the value is no longer there for us. We used to meet friends at a restaurant as an evening out but now we take turns inviting each other over for supper, and frankly, it's a far better experience than going out. And far cheaper.

In a few short years tip option defaults have gone from 10/12/15 to 12/15/18 to 15/18/20 or 15/20/25, and some are even higher now. Some people get annoyed while others it seems will tip whatever they are told.

Also, the cost of a meal has gone up at least 30% over the last couple years and the value is no longer there for us. We used to meet friends at a restaurant as an evening out but now we take turns inviting each other over for supper, and frankly, it's a far better experience than going out. And far cheaper.

Yep, I've seen 30%. I thought it was ridiculous.

If that's the case then tipping by percentage is the least accurate way to ensure that the employee gets minimum wage.

If a tipped employee only earns the regular minimum wage, they would wonder how they will pay their bills. The idea that tipping is to "make up" wages is just not the case, speaking for waitstaff generally.

Well, every standard pay system I have seen recently gives the option for No tip, custom tip, etc.

So no one is being forced to tip, with rare exception where management is trying to cultivate different clientele.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom