Tony Curtis passed away

Ahhh...that's too bad.

In his youth he sure had amazing eyes.....:)

I was listening to an interview with him once while driving. (Only about a year ago. It was interesting and funny. Part of it was that when he started out, he couldn't speak English so he had to learn that on his own.

I seem to remember watching the reruns of an old sitcom, that started with Tony Curtis saying "I think you're going to like this picture." Was that him or someone else?

Got it: it was "Love that Bob."

He did a lot of stuff.
But for some reason I think of "Vikings".

I remember watching the movie "The Greatest Show on Earth" when he played a trapeeze artist who falls down and messes up his arm and has to get a fake arm. When I was a kids, guess those parts of the movie stands out. And Jimmy Stewart being the a clown in clown makeup in that movie.

I seem to remember watching the reruns of an old sitcom, that started with Tony Curtis saying "I think you're going to like this picture." Was that him or someone else?

Got it: it was "Love that Bob."

It was Bob Cummings (star of the show) IIRC.

Growing up in the 50s, my dad always gave my mom a break on Sunday afternoons by taking older sister and I to a movie. It was common for us to show up whenever, then watch the picture over since we always arrived in the middle. Mom could nap and us kids were entertained. I love to watch some of those old movies now and try to recall what I felt at the time.

I recall many TC movies of that era. At the time, I couldn't have told you his name, but always thought he was great. First time I became aware of him by name was in "Operation Petticoat". I was a big fan from then on.

Movies are a strange window into our past because the actors never get older. I'm ages older than TC was in those early days so it makes it difficult to realize he passed away at 85. Of course, I can't believe I'm 63 either!:(

I was listening to an interview with him once while driving. (Only about a year ago. It was interesting and funny. Part of it was that when he started out, he couldn't speak English so he had to learn that on his own.

Just for the benefit of others.... he spoke New York... at least that was the drift on a tribute I saw last night on him...

Just for the benefit of others.... he spoke New York... at least that was the drift on a tribute I saw last night on him...

I had to peek at Wikipedia to test my own memory :). According to that, he was born in the Bronx, in NY, but the only language that he spoke was Hungarian until the age of 5 or 6.

Someone else... It was Bob Cummings

Ah... Thanks for correcting a lifetime misconception.

But he was only 85! Why are these guys dying so young? Since I want to live well past that, this is very worrisome to me.

But he was only 85! Why are these guys dying so young? Since I want to live well past that, this is very worrisome to me.

He was tough on his body, between the booze and the drugs. Probably 85 years is a pretty good run given all that.

Back
Top Bottom