Took a right at the early-out, straight on till sunset

FedRetired50

Recycles dryer sheets
I retired last July at 50 and enjoyed striking things off of my to-do list for 4 months (as I added 2 more things for every item I crossed off). They convinced me to come back for 6 months; I figured an infusion of cash couldn't hurt while the markets are down, not that my financial plan required it. As of June 2nd I'll walk out the door for the last time. Again. I've been saying for a year I might get a job with a local or state park, so that might take up some of my future time.

I started saving for retirement at 22 and later rolled that 401k into the TSP when I became a Fed. I did all the right stuff other than just starting early - increasing savings with each raise, keeping it in stocks, etc. I plan to start tapping that keg via SEPP in the next few months. I've been getting a pension since last August. This will cover my living expenses. Down the road I'll use my home to buy into a retirement community, but not for another 25-30 years!

Finally I have a Vanguard account where lately I've been aggressively buying stocks that are only down because of inflation/recession/Putin fears, but are otherwise strong. That's my fun money, both fun investing and then fun vacations in the future. Realized gains since last summer are $74k, which I plowed back into the market. Unrealized gains are currently about $90k since last summer and I expect that to hit 10x that amount in the next year or two. And before you ask, I didn't just start playing the markets last summer, I had a +40% year back around 1997. :cool:

Edit: I plugged my numbers into FIRECalc last week and came up with a 99.1% success rate over 35 years (1 failure), based on today's numbers and not on the future market recovery.

Last edited:
My agency has offered them most years for a while. I'm glad I took the one last year, I've been told by someone in the know that they won't offer one for at least the next 2 years.

What agency?

So you got a VERA? What's your secret?

For non-Feds, what is a VERA? I assume some type of early retirement incentive package. But just curious of the acronym, had not seen that used on the forum here before.

Back to the original point of the post, congrats OP FedRetired50 for getting out and enjoying the early retirement life.

Finally I have a Vanguard account where lately I've been aggressively buying stocks that are only down because of inflation/recession/Putin fears, but are otherwise strong. That's my fun money, both fun investing and then fun vacations in the future.

You're buying individual stocks in your Vanguard account? You say that's your fun money, so I assume your "serious" money is invested mostly in broadly diversified, low-cost index MFs and ETFs?

Realized gains since last summer are $74k, which I plowed back into the market.

Did you plow those gains back into individual stocks or into broad market, index ETFs? No judgments here, just curious.

Unrealized gains are currently about $90k since last summer and I expect that to hit 10x that amount in the next year or two. And before you ask, I didn't just start playing the markets last summer, I had a +40% year back around 1997. :cool:

Why? Why do you expect your $90k of unrealized gains to go to $900k in the next few years?

Edit: I plugged my numbers into FIRECalc last week and came up with a 99.1% success rate over 35 years (1 failure), based on today's numbers and not on the future market recovery.

Congrats! Welcome to FIRE life, the water's warm. :)

For non-Feds, what is a VERA? I assume some type of early retirement incentive package. But just curious of the acronym, had not seen that used on the forum here before.

Back to the original point of the post, congrats OP FedRetired50 for getting out and enjoying the early retirement life.

Voluntary Early Retirement Authority, which is usually referred to as "early-out", because who the heck wants to say that mouthful, lol?

Thanks!

You're buying individual stocks in your Vanguard account? You say that's your fun money, so I assume your "serious" money is invested mostly in broadly diversified, low-cost index MFs and ETFs?

Did you plow those gains back into individual stocks or into broad market, index ETFs? No judgments here, just curious.

Why? Why do you expect your $90k of unrealized gains to go to $900k in the next few years?

Congrats! Welcome to FIRE life, the water's warm. :)

For a while I kept much of that fun money in 4 Vanguard funds which covered the market as a whole (large cap, small cap, international) but right now it is all in individual stocks with so many bargains to be had. Fun money = fun to keep my eye open for opportunities, then more fun when I get to use the fruits to buy a balcony suite on a cruise, then buy the margaritas on the cruise. If this all somehow completely disappeared I'd still have some fun money, but it would be margaritas at a state park with my camper. I love being outside so I'd have no complaints. If I liquidated this account today, I estimate I could spend $20k/yr with plenty left over. If this account hits half my expected goal I'll be in golden goose territory.

My living expense money comes from my pension, and soon from my TSP, via SEPP for the next 8+ years. SEPP ends up being about a 4%/yr withdrawal. Those funds are echoes of the S&P 500, Dow Jones U.S. Completion Total Stock Market Index, and an international fund (which in more recent years I've stayed away from because it was too-heavily invested in the stagnant Japanese market). I also have access to a bond fund, and a special short-term U.S. Treasury securities fund (only available in the TSP). I do not use them and will not start transitioning to them until I hit my mid-60s. I realize this is more-aggressive than the general consensus on this forum, but with a gov't pension and eventually Social Security I feel I should reach for higher gains with that money. Especially with current inflation. My pension will get a 60% bump when I hit 57 when the gov't starts sending me an approximation of what I will get from SS at 62 (officially called the "supplement"). Then the supplement gets replaced by SS. I'm fully aware of where SS might be right about when I'll start drawing it, since my former job directly involved the SS trust funds.

Thanks for the welcome!

Back
Top Bottom