Tooth Implants

frayne

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
What is the going rate in your neck of the wood ?

In mine it's about $3500, give or take.

I'm in Kansas City and have had several over the past 15 years- seems to be holding steady at $5,000 all-in. Are you looking for the price of the implant (just the placement of the threaded plate in your jawbone) or the implant plus the prosthetic tooth (abutment)? $5,000 is what I paid for both.

Last edited:
I just had one finished last month in CT and it was just under 5Gs all in. That was with a 20% discount on the dentists side.

DH had one this year...$9.5K...$5K for extraction/implant/xray and $4.5K to dentist for the crown. They ain't cheap in my neck of the woods :(.

Following this thread. Older son has had 4 teeth removed along with his Ameloblastoma tumor... but we have to wait for the jawbone to regrow before we can do implants. Support groups suggest it's a total crap shoot as to whether this is covered under medical so I'm budgeting for out of pocket.

I paid about $4200 for the extraction, implant, and crown in 2021. No insurance, but I did have a dental discount plan that saved me a bit.

I had one about 8 years ago and my out of pocket cost was approximately $3,000. That’s all in- implant, abutment, and cap.
My insurance did pay for portions like 50% of the cap and other various things that they typically cover.
From what I’ve been reading insurance companies are covering more for implants but I’m sure it’s hit or miss.

From what I’ve been reading insurance companies are covering more for implants but I’m sure it’s hit or miss.

Typically you get burned by the max they'll pay for all dental expenses in a year. I was thrilled when I got the first implant and found that my employee dental coverage would pay 40%.

Then I discovered that the max they'd pay in any year for all work was $2,000 and I'd already had some smaller expenses reimbursed. So, it didn't pay much on the implant and then I was 100% OOP for everything else during the rest of the year.

Last edited:
I am in Southern California. My dentist just told me that I will need a root canal ($2600 total). Then it might not last for more than 5-10 years. An implant is ultimately needed ($5000).

I am debating if I should just go do the implant. My HSA will pay for the cost.

Typically you get burned y the max they'll pay for all dental expenses in a year. I was thrilled when I got the first implant and found that my employee dental coverage would pay 40%.

Then I discovered that the max they'd pay in any year for all work was $2,000 and I'd already had some smaller expenses reimbursed. So, it didn't pay much on the implant and then I was 100% OOP for everything else during the rest of the year.

So true!
My dental covers $2,000 also but cleanings take about $400 of that.

As a side question: I currently have dental insurance through my former employer which ends when I turn 65 later this year. I asked my dentist office what insurance they recommend and she told me any of the ones outside of being offered through an employer are crappy and don’t usually cover what they say they will.
Is that your experience as well?

I am in Southern California. My dentist just told me that I will need a root canal ($2600 total). Then it might not last for more than 5-10 years. An implant is ultimately needed ($5000).

I've been getting very BTD about implants. If the alternate repairs are something that might not last I go for the implant. Other than needing cleaning 4X annually, they're easier to maintain than my real teeth!

So true!
My dental covers $2,000 also but cleanings take about $400 of that.

As a side question: I currently have dental insurance through my former employer which ends when I turn 65 later this year. I asked my dentist office what insurance they recommend and she told me any of the ones outside of being offered through an employer are crappy and don’t usually cover what they say they will.
Is that your experience as well?

Beware dental insurance. We got the dental insurance through Boomer Benefits and neglected to read the fine print :facepalm:. They cover absolutely NOTHING to do with implants. And as DH and I are at the implant stage of our lives :LOL: our other dental costs are negligible.

We were fortunate with DH's first implant in that he was still working and under corp. dental that covered $2K/yr. Timing allowed us to straddle 2 calendar years and the insurance paid $4K :dance:.

The implant was about $5K per post... you can have more than one tooth per post... this included bone graft and follow up...

The crowns were an additional $1500 per crown, not per post...

Mine, started in late 2018 and taking about a year all total was about $2500 plu about $1000 for the crown. That included extraction. I had a complication in that they had to do a bone graft but that was pretty simple and did not seem to impact the price, just added a few months to the process. I think mine was partly covered by insurance.

I may have had a good doctor but in all honesty, it was less of a hassle than getting a filling. I would not hesitate to have another for a visible tooth. I have a missing tooth that is not visible (for over 20 years due to an incompetent dentist who messed up a crown prep) and my previous dentist coincidentally had the same tooth missing and said he had not bothered replacing it either.

$5k here in Virginia. That is for extraction, implant and crown. I started the process a year ago....I paid $500 for extraction and bone graft. When I went back two months later he told me I needed a sinus lift that was going to be an additional expense. The missing tooth is in the back and can't be seen even when I smile....I just decided to live the rest of my life with the hole there and not put myself through the agony and expense. It has not bothered me at all.

The missing tooth is in the back and can't be seen even when I smile....I just decided to live the rest of my life with the hole there and not put myself through the agony and expense. It has not bothered me at all.

No agony involved. Honest. I'm a real coward about dental work (had multiple dentists through childhood who drilled without anaesthetic :mad:) and I end up white-knuckled through drilling now even with a great dentist and adequate anaesthetic. For an implant they use light sedation. The magic stuff goes into your veins, you drop off in mid-sentence and when you wake up it's done. I've never had residual pain that needed more than one dose of OTC pain reliever. They may use a local to uncover the implant if tissue grows over it and nothing is necessary when they screw in the tooth.

The expense is definitely a factor, though.

^^^^
I had a molar extracted recently and it was painless and quick. I got the usual novocaine (or whatever) and tried nitrous oxide too. The only thing I noticed about the nitrous is it cost me an extra $100.

Total time in the dentist office was less than an hour and that includes waiting room time. From now on, it will only be novocaine for me when needed.

Last edited:

I am debating if I should just go do the implant. My HSA will pay for the cost.

Since it is an important chewing tooth, I opted for root canal/crown to preserve the original Moler instead of implant replacement.

Similar diagnosis and cost including my work dental insurance plan ($2500) which I believe out of my pocket was ~$1800.

Not recently, but my implant was done about 2015. Approx $5000
Luckily, timing wise, it was spaced over 2 calendar years and our dental insurance picked up $1500 each year. So $2000 OOP for me.

Not recently, but my implant was done about 2015. Approx $5000
Luckily, timing wise, it was spaced over 2 calendar years and our dental insurance picked up $1500 each year. So $2000 OOP for me.

DH needs another implant and that is our strategy. The extraction and post are scheduled for this summer and the crown will be added early January 2024.

Since it is an important chewing tooth, I opted for root canal/crown to preserve the original molar instead of implant replacement.

Three of my implants replaced molars. They work just as well as the originals and they'll never need root canals or fillings!

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom