Top 15 vehicles owned for 15+ years

omni550

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
Not surprisingly, all are Japanese makes.

Here are the top 15 vehicles and the percentage of original owners who keep the vehicle for 15+ years....

https://clark.com/cars/reliable-car...ail&utm_term=0_afa92deb83-d0b044005d-72329885

I'm planning on holding onto my 2006 Toyota Highlander for a few more years as it's running fine and still makes the Florida-Michigan snowbird 'repositioning cruise' with no issues.

omni

Last edited:
I suppose that is dependent on where you are geographically in the U.S.A. There are far more pickup trucks, domestic sedans around where I live than anything else, and how much salt is applied to the local roads.

We have a 12 year old Toyota Corolla and 10 year old Honda Accord. Outside of regular maintenance, tires and brakes neither has needed any repairs. They have been awesome.

Having owned Ford, GM, Chrysler and Toyota products, I can say that my totally unscientific conclusions from my experience indicate Toyota is best for me.

The one Ford I owned was poorly designed, IMHO. Worse, the freeze plugs rusted out at less than 100,000 miles. Imagine a So. Cal boy suddenly learning about freeze plugs on the engine block as his car overheats and coolant is pouring out from under the engine. There were other problems also - not as bad as my Pontica below,but still a nusiance. Not so good.

My Plymouth mini-van was an great car. Reliable, well designed, etc. But Chrysler is no longer the company it once was, IMHO. Nuff said.

My Toyotas (1 Corona, 3 Camrys, one Corolla and now a RAV4) just run, and run and run with few repairs. None of the above cars was towed away while I owned it do to mechanical/reliability problems. The Corona and Corolla were sold - still in good condition - because I needed something more. Two of the Camrys were given to the young folk and lasted many more years. One Camry was totaled when a Ford driver smashed into it in a parking lot. The Rav4 is a 2019 so time will tell.

Wow, all Toyotas or Honda’s with one Subaru, even more lopsided than I expected. We keep our cars for around 10 years give or take, and we’ve had 3 Toyota’s, 5 Honda’s and 1 Subaru - so I guess we’re believers. We’ve also owned one each Audi, BMW, Nissan and Volvo and probably won’t repeat any of them, nor the Subaru. Sadly my last American made car was in 1977.

Last edited:
Wonder why no Lexus on the list? I’m guessing more to do with owner demographics than reliability of the cars.

My first Toyota and I still own it is a 2007 4Runner with 198K miles. Just did brakes and new Michelin's from Costco so good until 250K! Plus resale is still $7K according to online sites I check. Was shopping for a newer car for the "tech" and safety features but I had a local mobile electronic shop drop in a 7" Kenwood Apple CarPlay receiver with backup camera and WOW gives me the connectivity and convenience of the camera.
Also have had Audi's and BMW (DW has a 2018 330iX) and you cannot beat the driving experience but costly to repair when they break. The BMW is new and likely will be trouble free for next 3-4 years (knock on wood) so let's hope as it does put a big smile on our faces on the twisty back roads.

Also have had Audi's and BMW (DW has a 2018 330iX) and you cannot beat the driving experience but costly to repair when they break. The BMW is new and likely will be trouble free for next 3-4 years (knock on wood) so let's hope as it does put a big smile on our faces on the twisty back roads.

I recently heard the consumer show host Clark Howard tell a story about a guy who owned a chain of independent Toyota repair shops. He was not making much money. So, he switched to repairing German cars. He is now making a ton of money.

2008 Ford Fusion here 190K+. Other than one major repair a couple years ago just tires and regular maintenance. Hope to get to 250K.

Wife has a 2004 Pontiac Grand Prix just under 140K. Has been in the shop a bit the last couple of years but still way less $$$ than a car payment. Hope to get to spring on 2021 and then will move on to a used Mazda CX-5.

Having owned Ford, GM, Chrysler and Toyota products, I can say that my totally unscientific conclusions from my experience indicate Toyota is best for me.

The one Ford I owned was poorly designed, IMHO.......... .
Yea, it is sad. I worked in the industry for a whole career. We recruited from all the top universities to ensure we had top engineers, only to tell them that "we can't do that. It is too expensive", all the while paying literally billions of dollars a year in warranty costs. People from outside the industry think that engineers make the design decisions, but in reality, it is bean counters and corporate politicians that call the shots. Cleverly, these same folks rotate jobs quickly enough to avoid the fallout. All part of the corporate culture.

That's OK, we drive a Highlander and a CRV now - never been back to the dealer for either one. :LOL:

Yea, it is sad. I worked in the industry for a whole career. We recruited from all the top universities to ensure we had top engineers, only to tell them that "we can't do that. It is too expensive", all the while paying literally billions of dollars a year in warranty costs. People from outside the industry think that engineers make the design decisions, but in reality, it is bean counters and corporate politicians that call the shots. Cleverly, these same folks rotate jobs quickly enough to avoid the fallout. All part of the corporate culture.

That's OK, we drive a Highlander and a CRV now - never been back to the dealer for either one. :LOL:

The story on the (dry) Ford Dual Clutch gearbox approved for use in late model Fiestas and Focus (2011 -2016) is a good example as to the above corporate mentality.

Ford PowerShift Transmission Settlement

(Link to class action settlement above)

The only ones I've had for 15 years or more was a 1985 Chevy pickup (18 years) but that was more because it sat for weeks at a time. The other is a 2003 GMC pickup that I still have, but it only has 103k miles on it. The current 2nd car is a 2014 Honda Accord, I wouldn't be surprised if that could make the 15 year mark too. The only reason we'd give for selling it now is that it is low to the ground and getting in & (mostly) out is beginning to become an issue.

Getting old is a pain in the... well, mostly everywhere.

Close, we have a 13 year old Honda Civic with only 42k miles. So far so good.

I'm still driving 2008 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited with 10k miles that I bought in 2007 when DaimlerChrysler offered a lifetime powertrain warranty. Its worth so much more to me than its book value because of that warranty. I'll drive it as long as the frame will hold together. Also nice side benefit that Jeeps never go out of style. Should make it to 15 years if I can avoid major accident.

I don't know which brand is best for durability, but FWIW, my wife and I drove GM vehicles (Camaro and GMC Jimmy) for 18 and 16 years respectively, and we now have an 18 year old Dodge Durango and a 15 year old GMC Sierra pickup. All were purchased new and we really never had any serious issues with any of them. Not planning on (or looking forward to) replacing either vehicle until issues arise that make us afraid that we won't get to our desired destination.

Ive owned my corolla for 12 years and have been in 9 accidents. Does that count?

I don't know which brand is best for durability, but FWIW, my wife and I drove GM vehicles (Camaro and GMC Jimmy) for 18 and 16 years respectively, and we now have an 18 year old Dodge Durango and a 15 year old GMC Sierra pickup. All were purchased new and we really never had any serious issues with any of them. Not planning on (or looking forward to) replacing either vehicle until issues arise that make us afraid that we won't get to our desired destination.
Unfortunately all indications are your experience is less likely with a GM, Ford or FCA car versus a Toyota or Honda. All have gotten much better, but the gap between them still hasn’t been closed. I don’t think any Americans are happy about it, it is what it is, and maybe the tables will turn some day?

Last edited:
I have a 14 year old Acura badged Civic with 200k on it but don't think I will get close with any other vehicle. DS loves driving this one which is a standard. Otherwise, we just don't keep vehicles that long. My mom has my Acura TSX which is 17 years old with about 180k on it now. I suspect that the observation is correct that there are not many Lexus, Acura, Infiniti, etc owners that are keeping there cars for more than 5 or 6 years let alone 15.

It would be interesting to see the list of just 15 year old cars on the road regardless of ownership history, or the list of the highest mileage cars still running. Volvo to hear owners tell it?

The only car I have had that is on that list was a 1997 Toyota Camry. I gave it to DD for a college car and it was still running at 300,000+ miles after she graduated.

Of course in its life it had received 20+ oil changes, three brake jobs, two front suspensions installed (tie rod ends, control arm and stabilizer bar bushings), two sets of shocks/struts, 7 sets of tires, a couple of window regulators, several light bulbs, one rebuilt starter motor, one new alternator, and a few repairs I have no clear entry on.

The paint faded into a dead chocolate brown with no clearcoat left and the driver's seat split and the foam turned into powder. We sold it for $1,200 after she graduated in 2010.

The automatic transmission was never touched in its life!

Otherwise,it was a great car. :cool:

Last edited:
My former 1994 Toyota pickup sits across the street: neighbor took it for several trips last week. When I told her it was for sale, she came that day with the cash. She is happy with it.

My two cents is that if you buy a Toyota, do make for sure you like the color. I'm on my second Toyota vehicle (Tundra) at 12 years old and it drives like the day I bought it. No major problems to date.

I have a 19 year old corvette. But not because it is reliable. It's a 88k mileage garage queen that I suspect would fall apart if I started driving it again more than a few thousand miles a year.

My Old truck

it is a long story but after my 1995 Dodge Dakota was totalled out 18 years ago yesterday (1-14-2002) I replaced it with another Dodge Dakota. A 2002 XRT Sport. It was a basic 5 speed manual, 6 cylinder engine, crank windows, a basic truck with air. It was abused over its life in being way overloaded transporting bricks and long road trips. It still had most of the original components, wiring and hoses. Last June, a week after I returned from a road trip west of Chicago, the water pump died. It happened close enough to my garage so I was able to coast in before the temp gage went into the red. All I could think was, if that had occurred on the I-294 bypassing Chicago, in some 5 lanes of traffic, I would have been royally screwed. I got 260,000+ pretty trouble free miles over 17 1/2 years. Hated to let that old truck go but it was time. Replaced it with a 2015 Tacoma Prerunner. This vehicle has way more bells and whistles than I want or need but that is how vehicles are made today. I had helper springs installed so even with a ton of bricks in the bed, it is a long way from riding on the axle. It is pretty impossible to even buy a standard transmission any more. After 45+ years of driving a standard I thought I'd be lost..... I'm spoiled with an automatic now....

Unfortunately all indications are your experience is less likely with a GM, Ford or FCA car versus a Toyota or Honda. All have gotten much better, but the gap between them still hasn’t been closed. I don’t think any Americans are happy about it, it is what it is, and maybe the tables will turn some day?

I have nothing against foreign made vehicles, and maybe my personal experience is exceptional. I've never owned a foreign-made vehicle except for a 15 year old Volkswagen that I briefly owned while in college some 40+ years ago. I do think that the perception of modern American-made vehicles is worse than it should be, and is rooted in the crap that Detroit churned out during the 70s and 80s.

Close, we have a 13 year old Honda Civic with only 42k miles. So far so good.
Took me about 18 months to do that with my current car. It's a major part of why I retired when I did,

Back
Top Bottom