Toyota key fob stopped working suddenly

Thanks to @lauradrops for very complete information. I'm beginning to think this will be expensive and probably not worth fixing on a 2012.

It's warmer today, I hope to try the battery disconnection and reset.

A good forum to ask this in is toyotanation.com, where Toyota owners can be found and there are threads with similar issues.

One difference with Honda vehicles of that age, it seems, is that Toyotas have a single receiver module that the key fobs communicate with. In my 2011 Camry, it is called a receiver module, or door control receiver. One part, not an actuator in each door. From the threads it seems that (a) used working modules are available on ebay, and (b) for my year at least, replacing the module can be a DIY job (have to get into one of the rear passenger seat pillars but no special tools needed for that).

For a 2012 Camry things might have changed. It seems that the door control module may be combined with the TPMS module. Per chance, had you been having any TPMS issues?

Here is a thread on that forum that describes something similar to what you have experienced: https://www.toyotanation.com/threads/bad-door-control-receiver-in-2012-camry-se.1706513

Thank you for those suggestions.

The fob battery voltage is 3.35v. The dome light and all the other interior lights work correctly. The TPMS is working correctly. Fuse 37 is OK.

I see replacement ECM modules 89221-06170 (for a 2012) on eBay at reasonable prices, but one of those would have to be paired to the fobs, right? So it still isn't a small expense.

I love how so many are assuming you need help to know to replace the battery. And so many assumed you also use it to start the car, when you stated it is only for the lock/unlock the doors... I can't help you, sorry, but yes, it appears it must be the car, vs the fob, as you speculated. But I hope the suggestion of disconnecting the battery, and doing a bunch of mumbo jumbo works, by resetting things. My old car, a 2006 Toyota RAV4, if I wanted to change some ways the fob worked , it was amazing what was in the manual. There were so many odd steps I wondered if it was really a set up for Candid Camera. Like open the door one, press the button, turn on lights, open door twice, hook the horn, I'm surprised it didn't say 'howl at the moon'. but if i were you I'd look in manual, or look up your exact make model on internet, and see if there are ways to reset the fob to your car. Good luck.

I love how so many are assuming you need help to know to replace the battery. And so many assumed you also use it to start the car, when you stated it is only for the lock/unlock the doors.
It's used for more than the doors. Go back and read the OP again. :LOL:

It's used for more than the doors. Go back and read the OP again. :LOL:

Really? It is used for doors, and truck (door)..and yes, like the most primitive rob, it has a panic button. What did I miss? I call those features the doors. Meaning it is NOT a smart fob..it doesn't start the car. There is a physical key. There is no start button. The fob unlocks,locks the doors.

Something to consider as a possible fault: The fob connects to the Camry through a computer called a Body Control Module (BCM) or it might go by a different name like Body Control Unit. This unit can affect other car functions also.

Try The Bing Answer

I would still recommend trying the ChatGP response directions. That could be the way to re-establish a FOB to car connection and it's not hard to do. Maybe the car somehow forgot your FOB's id.

Each FOB has to have a unique identifier that your car needs to know, this is so that someone else can't use any Toyota FOB to get in your car.

There might be a fuse inside the car (or engine compartment) that controls the key fob unlock operation. Check your owners manual.

Really? It is used for doors, and truck (door)..and yes, like the most primitive rob, it has a panic button. What did I miss? I call those features the doors. Meaning it is NOT a smart fob..it doesn't start the car. There is a physical key. There is no start button. The fob unlocks,locks the doors.
lol It also opens the trunk and has the panic button. So, those are not doors.

It actually is required to start the car also, but it's a passive function. A metal key without the fob will not start the car. The Camry's valet key has this functionality built in also, which is not just a metal key.
There might be a fuse inside the car (or engine compartment) that controls the key fob unlock operation. Check your owners manual.
Already mentioned.

Last edited:
It's a 2012, so I don't think it has anything to do with starting. It's a low-end model (LE) and the replacement key cost $29, so I don't think there's anything high-tech there.

The metal part of the key is not removable from the plastic part, at least in a non-destructive manner, so I can't prove that it doesn't have anything to do with starting.

It looks like this

s-l1600.png

It's a 2012, so I don't think it has anything to do with starting. It's a low-end model (LE) and the replacement key cost $29, so I don't think there's anything high-tech there.

The metal part of the key is not removable from the plastic part, at least in a non-destructive manner, so I can't prove that it doesn't have anything to do with starting.
s-l1600.png
It does!

The head of the key has a transponder chip in it. Without that, the car wouldn't start. I have a little bit older of a Camry LE and had to purchase an immobilizer bypass to install a remote start unit in it that could start the car remotely without needing to leave the key in the ignition. These chipped keys have been standard for quite a few years now. As I mentioned, it doesn't use the battery in the fob. It gets power through the induction from the car's ignition when in close proximity (i.e. in the ignition) to allow the car to identify it is the correct/programmed key for the car. A bare metal key without a transponder in it wouldn't start the car.

Same thing happened to me a couple years ago with my RAV4, 2013. Swapping out the fob battery was not an option. Auto Zone guy explained why - something to do with the compartment not being designed to be opened.

Since then, I just use it the old fashioned way - I use the key to manually open and lock doors, hatch, start the car (obviously) etc.

Last edited:
Same thing happened to me a couple years ago with my RAV4, 2013. Swapping out the fob battery was not an option. Auto Zone guy explained why - something to do with the compartment not being designed to be opened.

Since then, I just use it the old fashioned way - I use the key to manually open and lock doors, hatch, start the car (obviously) etc.
That guy could be wrong. I see there are videos about changing the battery on those. Have you checked youtube?

Back
Top Bottom