Odd interaction between car and nearby Tesla?

pacergal

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
OK all of you Car Guys:

This has never happened before!
I was at Target yesterday, parked my car and locked it. (2015 Toyota Avalon, not hybrid, not electric).
After shopping, I came out. A Tesla was parked next to mine, my key was in my purse. As I walked to my door, my car unlocked, but I also heard several clicks on the Tesla. I figured the owner was coming behind me.
Got in my car, pushed the button, car started, and I put it in reverse. All sorts of warnings flashed on the dash--Check engine, battery problem, low oil!
Car would not move or do anything.
I put the car back in park, turned the car off and sat for minute (well, panicked).
Finally a tiny key light came on in the middle of the dash in front of me. I pulled
my key out of my purse and put it in the cup holder, took a deep breath and restarted the car. All is well.
I have always just kept my key in my purse, never had to take it out to operate the car. Battery was recently changed in my key fob, so I know it is not a low battery problem.
The owner of the Tesla never appeared.

I have driven the car again since then and absolutely no problems or warnings appeared.

So, can a Tesla affect the workings of a nearby car, or vice versa??
Why would both cars be clicking away as I walked up to mine?
And what the heck were all those warning signs for?

To my knowledge, no car, Tesla or otherwise, could interfere with your key fob.
I have had phones interfere with key fobs if they are in the same pocket.

This is more than likely a case of coincidence. Your fob ‘glitched’ temporarily.

As for a reaction from the Tesla as you walked by, most likely Sentry mode was on. Sentry mode will flash the fog lights when it detects movement nearby. If you look at the display, I believe it has a notice there’s as well.

You have an intermittent electrical issue with the Avalon. Neither the Tesla nor the Avalon FOB have anything to do with it. Start by cleaning both battery terminals. Today's vehicles will do strange things with low battery voltage or bad ground connections.

I might think the Tesla side of things was a fluke/coincidence. But what happened with your car should give you pause and I'd take it in for a look.

Something very similar (all the alarms all at once) happened to me one time after I'd taken it to the dealer to inspect another issue. I forget exactly what it was, but something wasn't properly secured internally from their inspection, setting off all the alarms.

That was exactly my thought.:LOL::LOL:
Thought the same thing.

Now with that said, :) I have had a few of my late model cars (loaded with electronics) do some funny thing "once in a while". I usually stop and restart (reboot) and everything is fine. (Same as you did) Happens maybe two or three times a year and never seems to be the same things. Ghost in the machines.

But is it keeps happening I'd suggest having the cars electrical system checked out.

Last edited:
But what happened with your car should give you pause and I'd take it in for a look.

Intermittent problems are extremely difficult to diagnose. It would probably be a waste of time and money until it happens consistently.

It may never happen again.

If my key fob is in the same pocket as my cellphone, the doors won't lock or unlock. Then, sometimes the car won't start (push button) until I take the phone away from the fob....will also get a false "service due" but can't attribute it to the phone just yet.

The Tesla did not influence the operability of your car. There are several noises that can come from a parked Tesla, off the top of my head sentry mode (since you got near the Tesla), battery contacts, preconditioning or temp control, dog or camp mode might have been activated in which case the car was maintaining interior temps.

I think the Tesla was trying to have sex with your car. The Tesla needs to be recalibrated for "gender recognition".

^^^^
:LOL::2funny::bow:

I guess it was really charged up!

:LOL:
Thanks, some great answers here. always know I can post and get good suggestions and great laughs.
I've driven the car since and no problems, but will definitely keep an eye out. It does have a new battery, only about 45,000 miles on the car.

You have an intermittent electrical issue with the Avalon. Neither the Tesla nor the Avalon FOB have anything to do with it. Start by cleaning both battery terminals. Today's vehicles will do strange things with low battery voltage or bad ground connections.

+1 on this... I had a bad battery do this to me a long time ago... when I shut off the car it would not start again as that was the end of the battery...

Since your car started it is not the FOB>..

Back
Top Bottom