Tracking

Posting to keep the thread alive. i believe we will be living in a world described by the links on this thread within less than five years, and that understanding this incredible short jump into the future can keep the subject of a socialized legal system and the new Quantum/qubit leap forward in tech in some form ... will keep those with curiosity about the future in the mainstream.

By the time this becomes "normal" it will be too late.

I'm hoping to be there when it happens, but there are no guarantees.

If you are connected to the internet, you're tracked. If you accept 'terms and conditions' of software, web sites, etc., you are tracked. Google seems to be one of the most pervasive, and if you let them, they'll connect all of your devices and track your every move, web site, purchase, etc. If you use a cell phone or drive a car in an urban area, you are tracked.

I often get pop-up ads at work for items my wife is looking at online, on a different computer, with a different IP address, located in a different state. Doesn't matter. They've connected the two of us. GoPro sends me emails in a foreign language, which I sometimes use Google Translate to read.

Financial institutions share data. The only way to become less-visible is to 'go dark', but the cost of doing so is too great for most of us, who have been accustomed to the connectivity and convenience of being online. Mostly, they use the data to make $ from us....

I would encourage anyone with who is looking to a future that extends beyond 10 years, to take the time to read this Wikipedia article, and not to just "scan " it.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Social_Credit_System

It goes far, far beyond what anyone here has cited. Most of us are aware of the cameras, open media accessibility and advances in "Tracking"

I am suggesting that the Chinese Social Credit System goes far, far beyond this. Further , that it is almost a surety that the United States Government will in short order, follow the China lead.

I cannot see any laws, or indeed civil rights, that would prevent following the major points of the Social Credit System and enacting new laws.

Today, there are no laws that I'm aware of that would warn you that your new next door neighbor has been in jail six time for theft or other crimes.

- that the person sitting next to you on the airplane was just released from a mental institution .... there for violent outbursts of temper.

-You know that with some work, and with some expense that you can gain personal information on other persons. Consider this. What if your government sanctioned this, and further, made the information to all parts of federal and local governments... as well as employers and businesses with which you might interact. (Banks, Educational systems, Workplaces andon, almost ad infinitum.

From Wiki:

..can mine the traces of data that users exchange with websites and derive a full social profile that includes location, friends, health records, insurance, private messages, financial position, gaming duration, smart home statistics, preferred newspapers, shopping history, and dating behaviour.

.. as well as requiring reports from all of the aforementiond entities. Work record, Debt, Educational grades, legal record... (down to parking tickets), personal life history (birth to death).

....................................................................................................

China is not quite all there yet, but, a matter of a few months or years.

Here in the United States, ALL of the information is available, if mostly in the form of paper records, but the equipment is available to transform all of this into advanced technology in a very short period of time.

The second part of this is the ability to implement , and that is where Quantum and Qubit come in. If all of the world's knowledge, built over a million years can be converted to a sortable/manageable database in a matter of an unknowable but short time, who can say what the timeline might be.

This link was posted earlier, but if you didn't read and absorb the implications... and if you have any interest in the future implications it could have on your life, or your childrens' life. I'd suggest taking another look.

https://www.greenwichtime.com/business/article/The-quantum-revolution-is-coming-and-Chinese-14342081.php

Phew... got that off my chest... okay to let the thread die.

Last edited:
I you want to take this to the extreme, take look at the Chinese Social Credit System.

It's kind of like a FICA score for your behavior.[/QUOTE
Black Mirror had an episode about social credit. I had no idea the Chinese really did that. The episode showed a society that kept track of how much people liked you by stars as people judged your behavior. The main character was popular and confident with her social rating, until she fell into bad reviews, it was frightening.
Edit: Just read the above article. My simplistic example seems silly compared to what's going on in the real world. I'm glad I'm old.

Last edited:
Thank you Rianne. That was even closer to reality than the other sites I had posted. A fascinating read that one has to begin with a wide open mind to comprehend the nuances and inferences for our own future.

The website:

https://www.wired.com/story/age-of-social-credit/

{to avoid distractions, use the free download "mercury reader"...}

What really makes me think, is the idea that the entire process could be transferred into a U.S. Government operated system almost overnight. Today, the emphasis is on the hacking of our military intelligence, but that is only the tiniest tip of the iceberg. Imagine members of government seeing the Social Credit System as being a protective arm of our own government. Indeed, what part of our population would disagree with being provided with a safer and more honest future?

In the words of one of my (long ago) fellow college alumni, William Wordsworth

The world is too much with us; late and soon,
Getting and spending, we lay waste our powers;
Little we see in Nature that is ours;
We have given our hearts away, a sordid boon!

Thanks again... that "wired" read should be a must!

Last edited:
Social Credit does not sound like freedom, or very pleasant. "Which is why the Matrix was redesigned to this, the peak of your civilization." (1999)

I believe social credit and tracking of individuals represents just about the biggest issue of the near future...and that it is being ignored by the vast majority of people. It also is being "helped along" by (big) business as they see opportunity and by government (who sees it as a mechanism of control.

In Hong Kong, some of the protesters have disassembled one of the "Smart Lampposts" and have found a variety of components that allow the devices to communicate with China's communications network.

For those of you who want to follow what's been going on in Hong Kong, the twitter user @anti_elab has tons of updates.

There is a private company that is leasing out these plate readers to private entities...primarily HOAs. They scan cars as they come and go and record the cars/plates. HOAs can "partner" with law enforcement to share this information.

https://www.flocksafety.com/

Well, actually several cities have partnered with private companies to share video feeds from privately owned cameras. Atlanta boasted a couple of years the thousands of cameras that they can monitor from all over the city...streets, businesses, you name it. It's a reality...TODAY.

My wife and I are fans of British police shows. Lately we've been watching several previous seasons of 'Silent Witness". It always amazes me the degree to which video of streets, alleys, highways, etc. is used as an input to solving the crime. Of course, I realize this is fictional TV drama, so I don't really know if video is so omnipresent in the UK or if it is really used more there than in the US. Seems like it's great for catching bad guys as long as the definition of bad guys doesn't expand to the point where it gets out of hand.

Social Credit System in Silicon Valley

https://www.fastcompany.com/90394048/uh-oh-silicon-valley-is-building-a-chinese-style-social-credit-system

This isn't going away. The subject of Social Credit System is showing up on TV and in more of the internet. Also... more discussion about the US Government eventually adopting this type of citizen tracking and identification.
No... not here yet, but my bet is within the next 5 years. ;)

Just a few paragraphs about some of the dangers.

The most disturbing attribute of a social credit system is not that it’s invasive, but that it’s extralegal. Crimes are punished outside the legal system, which means no presumption of innocence, no legal representation, no judge, no jury, and often no appeal. In other words, it’s an alternative legal system where the accused have fewer rights.

Social credit systems are an end-run around the pesky complications of the legal system. Unlike China’s government policy, the social credit system emerging in the U.S. is enforced by private companies. If the public objects to how these laws are enforced, it can’t elect new rule-makers.

Sounds good as part of US law, but as we know, US law can be changed.

I'd like to be around to see what going to happen. :)

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom