Trade Settlement Decreasing to 1 Day

PaunchyPirate

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
Schwab just notified me that effective May 28th, trades will settle on the next business day (T+1) for most U.S. and Canadian securities traded on U.S. exchanges.

It says it is an industry-wide change, not just at Schwab.

"This is an industry-wide change for most security transactions, which includes stocks, bonds, municipal securities, exchange-traded products, unit investment trusts, certain mutual funds and limited partnerships that trade on an exchange. The T+1 settlement period may benefit investors like you by reducing credit and liquidity risks present between the trade date and the settlement date."

This is good news for the consumer, I think.

Gee, I'm really old. When I got in the brokerage business in 1981 it was T+5. You had that long to turn in your stock certificates. Don't know what I'll do with all of that extra time on my hands.

If you're going to sell stock and use the proceeds to buy a mutual fund I think you can now do this on same day. Before this you had to sell your stocks (T+2), and on the next day after the 1:00 close you could buy your mutual fund (T+1).

Disclaimer: After May 28th I'm going to test it out first before I do any big transactions.

Generally a good thing in my book, but make sure you get things right because it means less time to correct any mistake.

Last summer I sold some taxable funds and failed to specify which lots I wanted to sell. The lots chosen by default would've caused a much larger capital gain than wanted. Good news is that I was able to specify which lots the next day, because the trade had not yet settled.

Back
Top Bottom