Trail/Wildlife Camera

Z3Dreamer

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
Thinking about an outdoor camera to capture pics of the creatures that visit my yard at night. I do NOT need any technical setup assistance.

What I would like are reactions of those who have done this. What features were great? What features do you wish you had? I am looking in the under $100 price range. Is that the sweet spot?

Thank you.

DW would also, at some point, want a tiny camera in one of our bird houses. Not to record but to occasionally view a live feed of the little baby birds. Anyone done this?

Really no advise on what brand I have had many different makers, and all seem to work well and take great pictures. You can really get fancy these days with picture text to you every time you have something on the camera.

I have Bushnell, Wild Innovation, Leopold and other non-common brands. The one thing I look for is battery life and the three I mentioned are great. I have a few out that been in the field for 3 plus years and have not changed a battery.

It is a fun thing to do I enjoy gathering SD cards and looking at all the unique photos.

I've been using Bushnell cameras for years. I like "hybrid" mode where it takes 3 pics and then 10 seconds of video when an animal trips it.

In the last couple of years I've gone mostly with ring cameras. I can look every morning to see what I've captured and often get plenty during the day.

Here are few pictures from many different brands. I have 1000's of very cool amazing pictures. I enjoy what the next picture will be.

Attachments

• PICT0661 (8).jpg
    PICT0661 (8).jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 23
  • PICT0038 (2).jpg
    PICT0038 (2).jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 23
  • WGI_0038 (2).jpg
    WGI_0038 (2).jpg
    209 KB · Views: 20
  • 00000075 (2).jpg
    00000075 (2).jpg
    528.2 KB · Views: 21
  • 00000035.jpg
    00000035.jpg
    537.3 KB · Views: 21
  • WGI_0034 (2).jpg
    WGI_0034 (2).jpg
    930.1 KB · Views: 20
  • DSCF0029 (2).jpg
    DSCF0029 (2).jpg
    481.1 KB · Views: 22
  • WGI_0013 (5).jpg
    WGI_0013 (5).jpg
    502.2 KB · Views: 21
  • WGI_0020.jpg
    WGI_0020.jpg
    604.2 KB · Views: 23
Here are few pictures from many different brands. I have 1000's of very cool amazing pictures. I enjoy what the next picture will be.

WOW! You got some amazing shots from your cameras.

Amazing pics.

How often do you pull the cards?
Quite often because I'm at the ranch a lot. Usually not longer than two weeks. I do keep them up year around just because I like the excitement of the next picture.

I have several Moultrie trail cameras I have used for years. Has the night vision, takes pictures or video. Think I paid $75 for 2 at Sams.

Thanks. I ordered some brand that Amazon recommended. Will arrive on Tuesday. Don't know if I will deploy it on Tuesday as I might capture some ghosts, goblins, and Marvel creatures.

I imagine I should mount at about 3 feet for eye level views but what do you think? At 3 feet some of the local kids might....

Knee height is better for capturing wildlife but if you are worried about theft then put it higher.

I setup my own camera server using an old desktop computer running Blue Iris software. No connection to the cloud everything is stored on the local server. I've got 5 hard wired cameras on the house and detached garage. Almost every night I see something. Last night was a huge coyote, an opossum and a raccoon. Other times I've see deer, bobcats. I keep looking for a bear but haven't seen one yet.

We have an Arlo wireless camera set up about waist level near the little fish (-less) pond. Regularly get raccoons, occasionally skunks (!) or foxes. Recently captured an owl swooping down and leaving with one of the frogs!

Back
Top Bottom