Transfer Wise....Wise

Scrapr

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
My partner & I are planning a trip to Ireland, Scotland & Paris. I am proposing in Ireland on her family property, marriage in Edinburgh (my GF came from just outside Edinburgh) & honeymoon in Paris. So there are arrangements to be made. And most want a deposit of some sort. Couple weeks ago I went to the local bank (regional bank) and wanted to wire money to a provider. Although i like the bank it was not easy. I went in 2x's and was not able to make the transfer.

Then I remembered a travel group we attend monthly & just as an aside someone mentioned Wise for transfering money. I went online & set up an account & sent the money. Easy peasy. And pretty low cost as compared to the bank. Like about $10. The bank was at least $60 & probably a good bit more

I have heard that people send themselves money while overseas too. I think Wise has a virtual debit card that you would load up. So your risk is limited.

I thought I would spread the word. Website is super easy to use for & to any currency. Email confirmation. I am really impressed with them

*The name was Transfer Wise & now is just Wise

I had no trouble wiring money to businesses overseas from my brokerage Fidelity. I didn’t have to have any bank account overseas.

I think Wise expects you to have an overseas account?

Last edited:
Interesting. I need to transfer 1,300 euro in August to a private party in Italy because I'm renting through them. Having never transferred money internationally I assumed it would be a pain through BofA. I'll have to check out this Wise.com. I assume you can wire money to private person's Individual bank account?

We've used Wise to make payments in Argentina/Chile and in Indonesia/Malaysia (and to Indonesia dive boat with a bank in Dubai). No problems in any of those cases--although I personally VASTLY prefer paying by credit card just to have an escape route if the vendor doesn't perform....

Interesting. I need to transfer 1,300 euro in August to a private party in Italy because I'm renting through them. Having never transferred money internationally I assumed it would be a pain through BofA. I'll have to check out this Wise.com. I assume you can wire money to private person's Individual bank account?

Yes I believe that is possible. I have sent money to 2 business but there should not be an issue with a person. You would need an IBAN number & a Swift account to send it. I would set up the Wise account (and wire me $1000 just to see if it works ;-) ) and see what the process is. It was super easy & fast.

Yes I too would like to pay by CC. The Wise site has a couple of checks to make sure you are not getting scammed. In reality it's up to you to evaluate your risk

Last edited:
I have used Wise to make deposit with tour guide in Malta. Worked fine and much cheaper than Paypal. I could schedule date and amount and funded amount from domestic bnk eft. Your vendor needs a Wise account to receive funds. Wise exchange rates were very competitive--provided us $ and Wise delivered Euro to my tour guide.

We use Wise to transfer funds from our US Bank to some relatives in Europe quite often. It’s a great service. Very reliable.

Another vote for Wise, it is an excellent way to send foreign currency, I have used it for at least 8 years now. You don’t need to have an existing account overseas to create a Wise multi currency account. Our daughter and her partner have recently been using it to great effect in their move to England. For example from the USA you can create accounts denominated in USD and GBP and the GBP account comes with a UK style bank sorting code and account number from which you can send money and pay bills directly. Bank to bank transfers are extremely easy and the way many/most bills are paid here, and it takes seconds to arrive in the recipient’s account.

The Wise debit card can be a physical card just like any other card that you can use at ATMs or pay for goods and services with. You simply put as many GBPs into your account as you need and spend it when you want.

You slipped in some very important news there.

Congratulations Scrapr!

Congratulations Scrapr!

+1

I also use Wise to send money to my son. It’s simple, much lower cost than his local banking option and also gets a better exchange rate.

Yes, congratulations!

I tried to use Transferwise a couple of years ago and gave up. But I just tried it yesterday and got money into our Mexican bank account in 2 hours at a better exchange rate. Love it

I will add my .02 CHF in support of Wise. I've been using it for about eight years as well and have had zero problems. Our income is sourced mostly in the US, so we need to move it regularly to Switzerland. Also, I've used it to move funds to friends and relatives directly to their accounts and for some businesses (such as DHL for delivery fees and VAT).

Their fees are transparent and fully shown before you give the okay to transfer funds and you get the mid-market rate at the moment you move the funds, which is guaranteed by Wise for a stated amount of time.

-BB

Congratulations Scrapr!

Oh...whatever do you mean? :cool:

It's been a journey from my wife passing to meeting Sarah and then getting sirius. I never imagined that this would happen. I joined a dating site just to see if i could meet some women. No expectations & my red flag spidey sense was on full alert. We have a lot of laughs & she keeps me on my toes (calling out my BS). I could not ask for a better travel partner. She amazes me every day. I'm very lucky

Thanks for all the good wishes

Oh...whatever do you mean? :cool:

It's been a journey from my wife passing to meeting Sarah and then getting sirius. I never imagined that this would happen. I joined a dating site just to see if i could meet some women. No expectations & my red flag spidey sense was on full alert. We have a lot of laughs & she keeps me on my toes (calling out my BS). I could not ask for a better travel partner. She amazes me every day. I'm very lucky

Thanks for all the good wishes

I remember. I am glad you found someone special with whom to share your life.

Back
Top Bottom