Transmission needs replacing - what would YOU do?

Jeep Grand Cherokee SRT - OEM is Pirelli Scorpion Verde All Season Run Flat 295 /45 R20. Discount Tires has them for $554 each, Tire Rack for $490, (if you want to deal with shipping and mounting issues). Actually got a set of 4 mount/balanced/tax, at discount tires for $2000 so they will deal little.

They are 20 inch Y rated (186mph) run flats. There are cheaper non OEM tires that would fit but I like the tires and they were made for this vehicle.

I've got two cars with low profile (40 & 45 series) tires. And both eat tires every 20K miles or so. I've given up on Michelins and have gone to second tier tires for both. But I'm not about to shell out $2000 for any set of low profile tires, as none have long life.

My Jaguar XK has a special Pirelli tire @ $350 each, and they're even overrated and over priced.

My late model Ford Explorer is at 56K miles on OEM Michelins, and I'm going to shell out $180 per tire at 60K miles. That's enough money to spend.

Had the same problem 3 years ago. My friend, the used car salesman, told me to get it fixed (8 year old Lexus), then drive it for 10-11 months of the one year warranty. Then sell.
That worked out just fine. Buyer knew he had a month of test driving covered in case the tranny went. I got another 11 months of use to help justify the $2800 cost, and no time pressure on finding a replacement vehicle. win, win.

BTW, the Lexus tranny service was $1000 more than domestic due to having to use genuine Lexus parts.
BTW pt 2, got the work done at local tranny shop. Lexus dealership wanted $6,500 since they only installed factory rebuilt units and did not repair.

Maybe a dumb question, but my transmission experience has me asking why don't rebuilt transmissions don't seem to last as long as original?

In my case, the first time around, the folks who rebuilt didn't do a good job as I can tell by the feel. The second time around, the guy prided himself of how well he ran is trans shop, yet a year later, tranny went out.

I've got two cars with low profile (40 & 45 series) tires. And both eat tires every 20K miles or so. I've given up on Michelins and have gone to second tier tires for both. But I'm not about to shell out $2000 for any set of low profile tires, as none have long life.

Another styling gimmick to see how many folks are easily parted with their money. I've got an informal formula that for every inch increase in diameter (usually means a lower aspect ratio) cost you $20 more per tire. Just another way to get folks dollars for incremental (many times questionable) "improvement".

Just like we are convinced that pro sports are important to our lives.
Or cable TV is important in our lives.
Or an FA (salesman) is needed.
Or we need a lawn guy so we can go to the gym and work out.

The wonders of marketing in our times!

OOps, way off topic, just hit my inanity reflex.

Last edited:
got a question, though. Have 110k on vehicle. Completely forgot to change tranny fluid along the way. Took it in to dealership at $103k and they refused to do it since it had not been changed during first 80K. Firestone also refused for same reason. So far, so good, as to operating, but I am a little nervous about what to do next?

Any ideas?

I would have the fluid drained and refilled twice over, say, 5,000 miles. I would not have the transmission flushed. Some shops seem to prefer using the flushing machine, but the drain/refill method is a "kinder, gentler" approach to transmission service.

Some vehicles are built with a drain plug on the torque converter. If the TC can be drained, it's only necessary to do the drain and fill once. Of course, the filter should be changed if the transmission has a filter.

While 110K miles is not an ideal service interval, I don't think it's anywhere near too late to give the transmission some fresh fluid.

Another styling gimmick to see how many folks are easily parted with their money. I've got an informal formula that for every inch increase in diameter (usually means a lower aspect ratio) cost you $20 more per tire. Just another way to get folks dollars for incremental (many times questionable) "improvement".

Just like we are convinced that pro sports are important to our lives.
Or cable TV is important in our lives.
Or an FA (salesman) is needed.
Or we need a lawn guy so we can go to the gym and work out.

The wonders of marketing in our times!

OOps, way off topic, just hit my inanity reflex.

Just curious, what do/did you do for a living? Was there any marketing connected either directly or indirectly to you earning your living?

I seriously don't like all the phone calls, and having to fend off the Direct TV offers every time I walk into Sams, but they are just trying to earn a few bucks.

Over my 32 year career, 30 years were directly connected to employers who sold something for profit -- at least that was the goal. Two years in academia -- meh. I said academia, but it actually was university staff.

Maybe we need a new topic.

Last edited:
I don't really care about the price as much as I do about having to change tires every 6 to 8 months. (a real PIA) No doubt I could run cheaper tires, and/or stretch the mileage more than I do but if you are going to "really drive" a high performance vehicle, IMO, you need the best tires you can get. It's dangerous enough going around a track (or anywhere for that matter) at 160+ to worry about cheaper tires.

Just curious, what do/did you do for a living? Was there any marketing connected either directly or indirectly to you earning your living?

I seriously don't like all the phone calls, and having to fend off the Direct TV offers every time I walk into Sams, but they are just trying to earn a few bucks.

Over my 32 year career, 30 years were directly connected to employers who sold something for profit -- at least that was the goal. Two years in academia -- meh.

Maybe we need a new topic.

Yea, it's kinda off topic. But for the record, most of career was federal government engineer with a fair amount of contract administration. Currently work for a for-profit CPA firm.
Just got on a rant about how our society is in the business of taking wants and turning them into perceived needs and unfortunately taking advantage of the gullibility of many folks.

I would have the fluid drained and refilled twice over, say, 5,000 miles. I would not have the transmission flushed. Some shops seem to prefer using the flushing machine, but the drain/refill method is a "kinder, gentler" approach to transmission service.

Some vehicles are built with a drain plug on the torque converter. If the TC can be drained, it's only necessary to do the drain and fill once. Of course, the filter should be changed if the transmission has a filter.

While 110K miles is not an ideal service interval, I don't think it's anywhere near too late to give the transmission some fresh fluid.
Unless it's a vehicle of clearly poor reliability, I think this is a good plan.

I'd find a nice cheap lease on a Corolla. 2 or 3 years, then it's DD's responsibility to go from there.

DD had the batteries replaced in her 2005 Prius about a year ago. She hasn't had any other problems with it since and it has about 160k miles on it. I think she paid about $3000 for it and it was worth it. The rebuilt batteries should last about 5 years.

I'm beginning to think $3000 would too much on my 2013 Jeep Rubicon the way things keep breaking on it! (another Chrysler product)

I think the key is the cost of the rebuilt trans $2K is more than the car is worth after the repairs. Also given that your daughter needs this car to last past graduation, the plan for a $5-6K newer used car seems a good move. That newer car should hopefully last several years.

BTW, speaking of tire costs, my motorhome two front tires were $1370 total (tires, mounting, balancing, taxes). Of course they are also big truck size and very high load rating. But still a bunch of money for only two tires. The tires I chose were not even the highest cost ones, but were a good quality brand.

My 2012 car (bought new) has no way to even check the trans fluid level and does not have a scheduled maintenance for changing the fluid. Lifetime they say. In over 45 years of driving, I have never changed the trans fluid in any of my cars. Truth be told, I did have two very used cars have the trans go out shortly after I bought them. One got a junk yard transmission, the other got a local rebuild. The fluid was changed on them.

OP, you might check out your local salvage yards. I checked a few years back on a recycled engine. I seem to recall they would provide one and install it for me for 700 or 800. Your local yard might offer a similar service for transmissions. I ended up going a different direction. I think I figured that the labor rate was <1/2 that of the local service shops. I might not get the same quality mechanic but I don't know that.

I don't think I'd fix the tranny (Assuming it's really bad.) I'd look for a beat up (body) older Honda Civic for DD. Less than 175K and it will likely last two or three years (if it's okay now.) As always, YMMV.

Get a used transmission from a wrecking yard , uh I Mean " Quality Recycled Automotive Parts Establishment" as some call themselves. Should be under $800 installed, with about half of that as labor.

Any cheap used car you find may have other problems. Think of it this way, Spend a grand on car repairs for the next year is under 100 a mo for car expenses. Low cost IMO. Stick with the current heap until school is over
We are in the same position as the OP. This is exactly what my husband is doing. They found a new transmission for his Subaru for $800. They will install for $350. We chose this option instead of buying a new car, because of financial issues.

Dodge doesn't have reliability or lasting power. If you have decent finances it would be better to get a newer model car. But if you don't, putting in a new transmission for around $1200 is a lot more inexpensive than even finding a old used car.

I would probably replace the transmission, IF you plan on driving it a while to get money out of it.

I replaced one at ~150K miles and drove it for another 70K miles. I think a rebuilt was about $1500 and a new one was ~$3000. I went with a rebuilt, didn't have problems with it. The engine starting having issues at that point and I got rid of it then.

I realize this is a special situation, but there's a guy that does great work, not too far from me, that will swap out any transmission for $150. So I would go to a junkyard, select a low mileage transmission or one that was recently replaced, and for that car they would be in the $300 dollar range, so for a total of under $500 the car would be back on the road, and it would be worth more than $500 more than if the car didn't move under its own power.

Sad to say the Intrepid was a very poor built car . For the money and your time and misery factor you can probably go buy an old Toyota or Honda . Not a pretty one but one that will get you out and back .

Check Craigs list , there are tons of cars in the 2 to 3 grand range

Sad to say the Intrepid was a very poor built car .

Definitely! They made that car almost impossible to get to any engine component. I've always hated that car. It was my ex's car passed down to DD. ;-)

Final decision: DD decided to use some inheritance money and buy a new-ish used car. A salvage yard place gave us $200 and towed it away.

I'm a little late on this thread, but for future reference one maybe cheaper fix (slightly newer V6 Dodge minivan) is to first replace the solenoid pack if you see these symptoms: check engine light, won't shift higher than 2nd gear (limp mode)

There are kits on ebay that include the solenoid pack, speed sensors, tranny filter/gasket for around $150, iirc.

Tranny fluid should be changed after parts swap - I'd have my local shop do the swap and fluid change.

I'm a little late on this thread, but for future reference one maybe cheaper fix (slightly newer V6 Dodge minivan) is to first replace the solenoid pack if you see these symptoms: check engine light, won't shift higher than 2nd gear (limp mode)

There are kits on ebay that include the solenoid pack, speed sensors, tranny filter/gasket for around $150, iirc.

Tranny fluid should be changed after parts swap - I'd have my local shop do the swap and fluid change.

+1
Unless one is able to do self-repairs, similar to the one described above, the first step for most repairs, is to buy an On Board Diagnostic scanner for about $20, and find the trouble code... then, to the internet searching the code and the year and make of car. Everyone can do that much.
The check engine light or the pop up "Service Transmission"/Traction Control/Emissions System/ etc,etc". all have back up codes that detail more specific problem issues.
Not every "service" code defines life ending issues, so sometimes a reset of the code solves the problem. (My 96 Cadillac SLs periodically throws a "service transmission" code, and this has been going on for the past 20,000 miles, a few times a year.)
Most cars have websites that cover specific problems, along with the suggested solutions.

I would never just bring my car in to a service station or dealer without understanding the probable causes of the check engine light. My local dealer has a white line at the entrance of the garage. No matter the problem, or even if there is no problem, the base up-front charge is $95, once the line is crossed.

Knowing a little bit about the possible problems and learning some of the terms from the "car brand" websites can help avoiding the $$$ fixes that aren't needed. The $20 scanner cost and the hour of web searching can pay off in making the decision of what to do.

my opinion only :)

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom