Travel CC

Scrapr

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
I have had the Alaska CC for over 20 years. Easy to collect & use miles. Alaska is changing lounge access for First class passengers. New rule is no lounge access on flights <2100 miles. We typically fly West Coast routes & would use lounges on a connecting flight. We typically fly to SFO or LAX to catch a long haul to Europe. In October we had a 3 or 4 hour layover in LAX and used the Alaska lounge. Our home airport (PDX) is very good with eating & drinking places in the concourse so that's not a major concern.

With the restriction on access I'm thinking of changing CC for miles and/or reimbursements. Looking at the Capital One Venture or a Delta product. Delta flies quite a few flights out of PDX. As I understand it Capital One reimburses travel purchased on their card. Anyway I'm ready to move on from Alaska miles. Lounge access is nice but maybe we can buy a couple day passes. (yes, I know lounges have been getting crowded and day passes are not being honored)

Advice? Tips & suggestions welcomed

At least for me, I moved away from airline credit cards years ago in favor of cash bank cards. In my case, I was lucky to earn one free airline ticket each year based on us charging everything on our credit card for the miles.

Ever since I switched to BofA's Travel Rewards Visa card, I easily get $2,000. back in cash each year. I'll take $2,000. cash any day over the hopes of getting 1 free plane ticket.

I'm also the first one to agree that not every credit card is right for everyone. You have to do your homework.

At least for me, I moved away from airline credit cards years ago in favor of cash bank cards. In my case, I was lucky to earn one free airline ticket each year based on us charging everything on our credit card for the miles.

Ever since I switched to BofA's Travel Rewards Visa card, I easily get $2,000. back in cash each year. I'll take $2,000. cash any day over the hopes of getting 1 free plane ticket.

I'm also the first one to agree that not every credit card is right for everyone. You have to do your homework.

You really know how to use that CC! To get $2k cash back, you'd have to charge $50k or $60k (depending on your CC's deal) annually.

I think you have to do your own analysis based on your personal usage. I get good value out of the United Club card which includes United lounge access and is a factor in getting first class upgrades which I seem to get about 40% of teh time even on international flights. But I am pretty loyal to United based on hub locations relative to where I have lived and traveled.

The Chase Sapphire products, at varying levels of benefit/cost seem to offer a good value. I have a low level one foisted on me when Accor bought Fairmont a few years ago. I get good value from it but just barely.

I really think you have to look at your personal habits and what is important to you.

I recently signed up for the Marriott Bonvoy AMEX card. It is $650 a year but I won't keep it long term. It immediately pushed me over the hill to lifetime Marriott platinum. It gives $300 in dining out credits a year which I will certainly use. Plus a free Marriott night valued at about $200 which I'll use. And i have a trip planned to a Ritz Carleton at a low price in a country with a currency weak against the dollar and get a $100 statement credit against that. So I am down $50. But I get a 150,000 point bonus for spending $5000 in the first 3 months which I will easily do and is worth about a week stay in a Marriott resort depending on location. So I think I am way ahead on this.

But this lined up especially well with my personal situation and travel habits. It is not a recommendation for anyone else. Just an example of how sometimes these offers are good deals.

We have had the Delta CC for many years. We live near the Detroit hub though, and no other one would make sense for us. BTW, their on time record has been rather good for that whole time.

A travel card should provide more features than just cash back/points.
- Chase sapphire & United provide primary insurance coverage for car rentals
- I wouldn't use a card that charged foreign transaction fees.
- United gives you a free checked bag with each ticket & also 2 lounge access cards
- Chase Sapphire has some good travel insurance perks.
- Hotel cards usually offer a free night.
- Chase sapphire & CapOne Venture both allow you to transfer your points to select airline/hotel programs.

So - the card that works best for you is a very personal choice.

I have had the Alaska CC for over 20 years. Easy to collect & use miles. Alaska is changing lounge access for First class passengers. New rule is no lounge access on flights <2100 miles. We typically fly West Coast routes & would use lounges on a connecting flight. We typically fly to SFO or LAX to catch a long haul to Europe. In October we had a 3 or 4 hour layover in LAX and used the Alaska lounge. Our home airport (PDX) is very good with eating & drinking places in the concourse so that's not a major concern.

With the restriction on access I'm thinking of changing CC for miles and/or reimbursements. Looking at the Capital One Venture or a Delta product. Delta flies quite a few flights out of PDX. As I understand it Capital One reimburses travel purchased on their card. Anyway I'm ready to move on from Alaska miles. Lounge access is nice but maybe we can buy a couple day passes. (yes, I know lounges have been getting crowded and day passes are not being honored)

Advice? Tips & suggestions welcomed

Alaska was unique in offering lounge access on domestic first class flights. No other low-fee airline card, however, is going to offer that perk.

Alaska has one of the most robust route networks for west coast travelers. We can be anywhere on the west coast in a couple of hours and often on a direct flight.

The $75 Alaska cards give you free bags and a $99 companion ticket each year. For us it's very easy to wring value far greater than the annual fee from this perk alone. We are keeping our 4 Alaska CC's and will continue to fly them but will no longer splurge for first class on short hops.

Love our Alaska cards but we don't put much spend on them. When we're not working on new CC sign-up bonuses, we put most of our spend on our Capital One Venture X cards. The $300 annual travel credit and 10,000 mile bonus each year more than offset the $395 annual fee and the sign-up bonus is worth at least $750. They're premium cards that offer priority pass lounge/restaurant access, travel protections, no foreign transaction fees, global entry/TSA, free authorized users, and 2x points on purchases. You can use your points/miles on just about any airline, hotel, cruise, etc.

You really know how to use that CC! To get $2k cash back, you'd have to charge $50k or $60k (depending on your CC's deal) annually.

Like some here, we charge EVERYTHING, and I mean everything unless it's only a dollar or so. So many people don't realize just how much can be charged on a credit card. About the only thing I can't charge is property taxes, car registration and our local power bill. Literally every other bill we have can be charged. And of course charging all our non monthly bills is almost endless, especially when you include vacations and everyday purchases like gas and groceries.

My monthly Visa card bill is always at least 2 full pages of charges and I pay it in full each month. I haven't paid a penny in credit card charges/interest in years. You simply need to be able to trust yourself to pay it in full each month.

Even that $2,000. I get back every year gets a cash reward the second I spend it on airline tickets. So many people are missing the boat on this aspect of free money.

I don't fly anymore so I prefer cash back... All 3 of my CC's pay at least 1.5% cash back. I'm not sure how much I get back but I'm sure it's over 1k per year... Could easily be twice that since I charge all my utilities bills, on-line purchases and most point of sale stuff that's over $30 to $40 whenever possible.

Chase Sapphire Reserve fan here: It is expensive, but you get $300 in travel credits to offset the $550 annual fee. Free TSA pre-check, 1.5% cash back if you use the "pay yourself back" option or book travel, $100K medical evac coverage, travel delay/interruption insurance, lounge access (not always usable as Priority Pass is low on the totem pole). If you also get a Chase Freedom card, you can really maximize points as the Freedom card has 5% cash back categories. You can then transfer Freedom points to your CSR.

I don't fly anymore so I prefer cash back... All 3 of my CC's pay at least 1.5% cash back. I'm not sure how much I get back but I'm sure it's over 1k per year... Could easily be twice that since I charge all my utilities bills, on-line purchases and most point of sale stuff that's over $30 to $40 whenever possible.

That's low- I use my Fidelity for nearly everything (2% cash back) and the Costco Visa for gas (4% back), travel and restaurants (both 3% back). I'm disillusioned with loyalty programs, especially airlines, since they keep devaluing miles by requiring more of them for the really desirable seats/routes. Having said that, I did just get a no-fee Hilton Amex for the 80,000 point sign-on bonus and because I use Hilton a lot.

Not surprised Alaska is making lounge access harder. In August of last year I was flying out of SEA and just ASSUMED I could get a day pass. The one I checked wasn't selling them and directed me to another terminal, which required taking an overcrowded tram. No, they weren't selling them, either.:mad: Travel has picked up a lot since then so possible overcrowding probably became an even bigger issue.

Travel credit cards:

I used to use Bank of America Travel Rewards. 1.5% and no foreign transaction fees.

But then Costco Citi VISA came along offering 3% cash rewards for hotels and restaurants - we stitched to that except for international travel. Then after a couple of years they dropped their foreign transaction fees. So it has become our predominant travel CC.

That's low- I use my Fidelity for nearly everything (2% cash back) and the Costco Visa for gas (4% back), travel and restaurants (both 3% back).
I get some higher cash back rates in a few areas but it's never below 1.5%. Oh, and I never charge gas on my regular CC's since I get a ~10% cash discount on my gas card (ex-employee/retiree perk ;))

Last edited:
Travel credit cards:

I used to use Bank of America Travel Rewards. 1.5% and no foreign transaction fees.

But then Costco Citi VISA came along offering 3% cash rewards for hotels and restaurants - we stitched to that except for international travel. Then after a couple of years they dropped their foreign transaction fees. So it has become our predominant travel CC.

Alas, they also dropped their somewhat limited travel insurance that came with the card. But, I still find it my #1 card of choice for general travel.

PDX Consideration

Chase Sapphire Reserve fan here: It is expensive, but you get $300 in travel credits to offset the $550 annual fee. Free TSA pre-check, 1.5% cash back if you use the "pay yourself back" option or book travel, $100K medical evac coverage, travel delay/interruption insurance, lounge access (not always usable as Priority Pass is low on the totem pole). If you also get a Chase Freedom card, you can really maximize points as the Freedom card has 5% cash back categories. You can then transfer Freedom points to your CSR.

I agree with everything Erkevin is saying and want to point out other benefits I find particularly valuable:
1. They always have great signup bonuses
2. 3X points on travel and restaurant expenses (more if booked through their portal)
3. Priority Pass can be tough to use at some airports but is VERY easy to use at PDX (my home airport also). At Capers Cafe you get a $28 credit and your guest gets a $28 credit. Depending on the day, if your guest also has a Priority Pass card, you can double that for a total of $112 credit. We've even been able to use it to buy bottles of wine to go (not always allowed - they might be cracking down on that). The pass is also accepted at Westward Whiskey, which conveniently has a flight that costs $28 - so, no charge other than tip

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom