Travel companies to avoid?

I don't have personal experiences with OAT but a number of my neighbors have liked so was considering them for a trip. When I started to research them, I found they did a very DISMAL job in taking care of their clients during Covid. Very difficult to reach, autocratic responses to refunds if you even got a response. Forced rescheduling of tour till following year or loss of payment, etc
Pretty clear that they got a F for their treatment of clients during Covid. If you are considering OAT check reviews beyond their website.

That's certainly true, but I also heard from a number of people that they eventually did the right thing by their customers. It was bad at first but largely because they weren't big enough to handle the financial shock of everything shutting down so suddenly.

Rita, you are absolutely right. I shouldn’t judge a book by its cover. The tours I have been on have had mixed ages and the travelers of all ages were actively engaged in the tour. I will say that I enjoyed the mix of ages.

I second the recommendation to determine the activity level of the tour before signing up. Too inactive and it might be a disappointment. Too active and it will be unpleasant. I know DH and I consider activity level when considering tours.

I have never been on a Roads Scholar tour but they emphasize activity level in their tour descriptions. I attended a presentation on Roads Scholar tours and that was emphasized by the presenter.

If you are looking for a compromise between fully independent travel vs. the "tour bus" model, take a look at Intrepid Travel (Aussie based) and G Adventures (Canada based). Both companies have small group sizes (12-16 people typically) and use mainly local transportation (ie, trains, ferries, local buses) as opposed to the big tour bus/guide model. There is a guide, but their main purpose is to provide local knowledge, smooth out logistics, make food and sightseeing suggestions, etc. There are some planned activities, but for the most part, you can do whatever you want in each location on the tour. Lodgings are clean, adequate, and well-located, but won't have the amenities of larger hotels. The price is pretty reasonable and they cater to a more active, independent (and often younger) audience.

I've done two Intrepid tours, and friends of ours who are very experienced travelers have done several G Adventures tours so I feel comfortable recommending both of them.

I can’t tell you who to avoid but I’ve had great experiences using Gate 1. I’ve done a fly &drive independent trip booked through them to Costa Rica and a guided tour through China. Going guided with them to Cambodia and Viet Nam in December and on a Danube River cruise next year in the fall. Great value and professional service.

We've done 6 tours (including 3 rivers) with Gate1, and one river with Viking.
Both were good, neither was perfect.
Viking was better and more expensive, but not by a lot in either case.

We are now on our 4th Road Scholar Trip- Sicily, China, Alaska Cruise and now Chautauqua- very pleased with all of them.

Just returned from my very first Road Scholar trip and loved it! Canoeing and hiking in the Boundary Waters of Minnesota. Ages ranged from 50-80. We stayed in hotels and travelled in two vans to historic and scenic areas, including the North American Bear Museum, Wolf Exhibits, Kettle Falls hotel, Sigurd Olson sites, and much more. The canoeing was spectacular, and the people were very friendly. I am already looking into another Road Scholar trip.

If you are looking for a compromise between fully independent travel vs. the "tour bus" model, take a look at Intrepid Travel (Aussie based) and G Adventures (Canada based). Both companies have small group sizes (12-16 people typically) and use mainly local transportation (ie, trains, ferries, local buses) as opposed to the big tour bus/guide model. There is a guide, but their main purpose is to provide local knowledge, smooth out logistics, make food and sightseeing suggestions, etc. There are some planned activities, but for the most part, you can do whatever you want in each location on the tour. Lodgings are clean, adequate, and well-located, but won't have the amenities of larger hotels. The price is pretty reasonable and they cater to a more active, independent (and often younger) audience.

I've done two Intrepid tours, and friends of ours who are very experienced travelers have done several G Adventures tours so I feel comfortable recommending both of them.

We've done a couple of G Adventures trips and are actively planning trips #6 and #7 with Intrepid Travel. I've recommended both to friends and they've not been disappointed. Sailed out of Phuket on G Adventure's 80 foot catamaran in January of 2020 and spent 7 days exploring the Andaman Sea, dropping anchor in some of the most beautiful places in Thailand with no crowds. It was just the 12 of us with 4 crews.

It's interesting that a subject line about travel companies to avoid seems tohave more recommendations for good travel companies that warnings on ones to avoid.

I have to think this a victory for optimism and joy over the pessimism and being miserable.

I haven’t read every post so this may have been mentioned already. This is a positive endorsement for AHI Travel.

AHI is a company that specializes in alumni travel groups (and perhaps other affinity groups). We’ve done 2 trips with them - Provence and Cuba. Both were exceptionally well organized and executed. They may be a little pricier than some as I imagine the college gets a cut and the accompanying alumni rep from from the college is probably paid for by the rest of the alums. But I will definitely go on another of their tours if a destination I’m interested in is offered.

We've done a couple of G Adventures trips and are actively planning trips #6 and #7 with Intrepid Travel. I've recommended both to friends and they've not been disappointed. Sailed out of Phuket on G Adventure's 80 foot catamaran in January of 2020 and spent 7 days exploring the Andaman Sea, dropping anchor in some of the most beautiful places in Thailand with no crowds. It was just the 12 of us with 4 crews.

Boy that’s right up my alley [emoji39]

Back
Top Bottom