Travel/hobbies budget in retirement

We did 3 modest trips in 4 years on short notice, but mostly we are planners. I do a lot of photography when we travel and I am very particular about where and when we go. Spending around $30K/yr. This is likely to go up. For those overnight cross-Atlantic flights, we are going to start flying first class so we can sleep in some comfort. Also, my wife and her sisters plan a cruise every year, and one sister is taking a liking to Viking, which costs rather more.

Shoot, for what a Viking River Cruise costs, I can go to Europe 3-4 times on the frugal plan. Anyway, we've been to most of the towns they visit many times.

First Class flights? Surely they cost more than my $400 round trip flights to Europe. Flying coach is no big deal to me, as we're used to it.

Our 2020 trip to Berlin, Dresden and Budapest was cancelled by the airline. And ever since, we sure are bored. After traveling Europe for 50 years, I'm not ready to stop.

We're hitting Vegas in 2 weeks with the grandkids, however. Europe will have to wait another year--and it'll still be there.

I'm trying to estimate costs and spending strategy after I leave work. As I'm planning to RE in my 50s and expecting to spend more in the first few years ticking off my bucket list I'm wondering:

1. How much on average do you spend on hobbies/travel annually (solo/couple)?

2. Do you just take this out of your portfolio along with expenses, or do you have a bucket set aside?

3. Have you seen a change in this over time, or has it remained relatively stable year over year (obviously pandemic made a dent, so I mean otherwise).

Thanks!

1. About $15k a year.... 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020... $14k, $16k, $17k, $12k
2. No different from other living expenses
3. Pretty steady other than 2020

Back
Top Bottom