Travel hopes for 2022

I'm going in November but I lucked out, found a frequent flyer award at a low level for biz class.

Only will be there for 16 full days on the ground though, so I've been to Sydney and Melbourne a few times each so I'm going to spend just a couple of days in each and rest of the time in Brisbane and the Sunshine Coast up in Queensland.

You will love the area. We have flown into Gold Coast Airport several times as part of an Asia trip. One of our favorite trips.

There are often some extremely attractive domestic air offering from Jetstar Australia. Our friends give us a heads when they know we are planning to visit.

Last pre covid trip we scored tickets from Brisbane-Hobart for $39 AUD and back from Launceston to Sydney for $49. Had to pay a little extra for our carry on.

Actually flying in and out of Brisbane.

Gold Coast looks like a smaller city with a lot of high rise buildings, though it's near the coast so great for people who want to be close to the beach with city amenities.

But unless I'm missing something else, I'm thinking a day trip out of Brisbane would let me sample most of the sights there.

Traveled to Ocracoke Island NC for the week of 7/2 with DD, DS-in-law and 3 grandchildren.

We are leaving 7/16 for a 4 week camping adventure. DD's family bought a fifth wheel and we bought a small 2 person camper. None of us has ever experienced any camping using travel trailers. I hope that we like it. Going to Cuyahoga Valley National Forest, Air Force Museum, Mammoth Cave, Smoky Mountains National Park and the New River Gorge National Park. We will be staying approximately a week in each place except for the Air Force Museum. DS-in-law will be working remotely.

Traveled to Ocracoke Island NC for the week of 7/2 with DD, DS-in-law and 3 grandchildren.

We are leaving 7/16 for a 4 week camping adventure. DD's family bought a fifth wheel and we bought a small 2 person camper. None of us has ever experienced any camping using travel trailers. I hope that we like it. Going to Cuyahoga Valley National Forest, Air Force Museum, Mammoth Cave, Smoky Mountains National Park and the New River Gorge National Park. We will be staying approximately a week in each place except for the Air Force Museum. DS-in-law will be working remotely.

That sounds like a lot of fun. Which 2 person camper did you buy?

I thought I was done with major travel for 2022, but I managed to squeeze in one more trip to Italy with DGF.

It’ll be a short trip, just over a week. We’re flying into Rome and probably out of Florence. Still need to figure that part out, but roughly we’re thinking of a couple days in Rome, drive around Tuscany and fly back from Florence.

DGF has never been to Italy, so that will be fun. And it gives me a chance to drive around Tuscany, where I’ve only been briefly and never south of Florence.

I’m also looking forward to visiting without hordes of tourists, along with cooler weather. Every time I’ve been in Rome it was hot.

If your going anytime soon you'll still have crowds in Rome! Just there and it was packed. Couldn't wait to get to the Tuscany area for a more relaxing vacation. Enjoy Italy, always fun.

Crowds are really starting to thin in Switzerland and Northern Italy. It was pretty busy during the last week of August and first two weeks of September. However during this past week crowds have really thinned out which is good.

Crowds are really starting to thin in Switzerland and Northern Italy. It was pretty busy during the last week of August and first two weeks of September. However during this past week crowds have really thinned out which is good.

I was just in Milan for a few days and it was packed, literally packed. We even took the train to Como for a day trip over to Bellagio and not only was it standing room only on the train, once we got to the marina in Como, every ferry had already been sold out and there were lines a quarter mile long just to get on.

Ended up just spending the day in Como before heading back on a packed train to Milan again. I do agree that October will be the start of a slightly slower season in Italy although still very busy.

As for Switzerland, because most people come for the outdoor experiences and mountains, as soon as fall weather begins with the first snow fall, the tourists also drop off. Pretty common there unlike in the major Italy tourist area's.

I was just in Milan for a few days and it was packed, literally packed. We even took the train to Como for a day trip over to Bellagio and not only was it standing room only on the train, once we got to the marina in Como, every ferry had already been sold out and there were lines a quarter mile long just to get on.

Ended up just spending the day in Como before heading back on a packed train to Milan again. I do agree that October will be the start of a slightly slower season in Italy although still very busy.

As for Switzerland, because most people come for the outdoor experiences and mountains, as soon as fall weather begins with the first snow fall, the tourists also drop off. Pretty common there unlike in the major Italy tourist area's.

Many people go to Zermatt, Wengen and other alpine locations to ski.

Going to Egypt and Jordan in two weeks. We're really looking forward to it.

Heading back to Southern California from Switzerland on Sunday and looking forward to it also. The weather turned ugly this week after five weeks of great weather.

Estes Park is still pretty packed, but we enjoyed Rocky Mountain National Park anyway!

Just a car shot of our Red Tesla above 12,000 feet on Trail Ridge Road. “Top of the World”

Attachments

• 941285AA-2834-4DB9-A60E-49C5A4DB0481.jpeg
    941285AA-2834-4DB9-A60E-49C5A4DB0481.jpeg
    494.9 KB · Views: 29
We have returned from an amazing trip to the PNW. Flew from east coast into Seattle and spent 12 days driving around Washington and Oregon with just gorgeous weather! Such beauty out there and we could have spent a month. Absolutely loving our first full year of retirement.

We returned from our 6 week trip to Switzerland Sunday night. The flight was full but the airports are starting to empty out. It's obviously better than 2020 and 2021 but nothing like the craziness this past summer. There were no flight delays and the food and service was great.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom