Tricare for life vs. Tricare Plus

mickeyd

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
South Texas~29N/98W Just West of Woman Hollering C
I was recently speaking with another retired military officer and mentioned Tricare-Plus. He was unaware that such a program existed. He thought that only TFL was available for him.

Here is a brief list of the reasons to not consider Tricare Plus. DW and I have been members of this option for several years and are quite pleased with it. Not all MTFs allow this option, but for those that do, it is well worth looking into.

TRICARE Plus Limitations:

o TRICARE Plus will not be available at all military treatment facilities. Local commanders will retain discretion to continue or discontinue TRICARE
Plus at individual military treatment facilities depending on their capacities/ capabilities and missions.

o TRICARE Plus is a military treatment facility primary care access program, not a health plan. For care from civilian providers, TRICARE Plus has no effect and TRICARE Standard/Extra rules will apply for most enrollees. For
services payable by Medicare, Medicare rules will apply, with TRICARE as second payer for TRICARE covered services and supplies.

o TRICARE Plus does not guarantee access to specialty care at the military
treatment facility where the beneficiary is enrolled.

o Prospective enrollees will apply for enrollment in TRICARE Plus. Enrollment may be determined, in part, by the specific missions and needs of
each military treatment facility (for example, GME, existing TRICARE Senior
Prime program, etc.).

o TRICARE Plus is not a portable benefit. Enrollment at one facility will
not guarantee access at another facility.

o TRICARE Plus enrollees are discouraged from obtaining nonemergency
primary care from sources outside the military treatment facility where they are enrolled.

o Beneficiaries enrolled in an HMO or similar program of another sponsor (TRICARE Prime, employer-sponsored HMO, Medicare Choice) are not eligible for TRICARE Plus because they have an established primary care relationship.

o Continued enrollment in TRICARE Plus is reviewed annually by the local military treatment facility; beneficiaries may be disenrolled if capacity is no longer available.

Tricare for Life or Tricare Plus

That's nice if you're close to a military hospital. I'm not.

+1. But six months in, I've been very pleased with Tricare at all the civilian facilities. It is much less expensive (deductible, copays, meds) and no referrals are needed. Tricare was one leg of my 4 legged retirement stool from 60 to 65.

This is just a curiosity for me since I don't live near an MTF: if you go the Medicare/TFL route but want to get civilian scrips filled at a local MTF, do you need to be enrolled in TRICARE Senior Prime? Or can you just walk in with a scrip and an ID card and get them filled?

This is just a curiosity for me since I don't live near an MTF: if you go the Medicare/TFL route but want to get civilian scrips filled at a local MTF, do you need to be enrolled in TRICARE Senior Prime? Or can you just walk in with a scrip and an ID card and get them filled?

We have been using Medicare/TFL for a few years now. We have used both the military base near us as well as local pharmacy with no problems. Presently the local pharmacy is Walgreen since CVS is no longer participating in the program. There is usually a small charge at the local pharmacy and no charge at the base as long as they have the specific prescription.

Cheers!

no charge at the base as long as they have the specific prescription.

If you wonder, you can search here to see if your scrip is likely to be stocked:

TRICARE Formulary Search Tool

• The Basic Core Formulary (BCF) is a list of medications required to be on formulary at all full-service Military Treatment Facilities (MTFs). BCF medications are intended to meet the majority of the primary care needs of DoD beneficiaries.
  • The Extended Core Formulary (ECF) includes medications in therapeutic classes that are used to support more specialized scopes of practice than those on the Basic Core Formulary (BCF).

Wondering if any can assist: the wife and I both 59 years old have been Tricare Prime (living close to miliary base) ever since I retired 18 years ago.

Wondering if any can assist: the wife and I both 59 years old have been Tricare Prime (living close to miliary base) ever since I retired 18 years ago.
Now that we are retired we plan on living overseas 8 months out of the year. Would to be wise to keep Tricare Prime even though we won't be next to a military Hospital 8 months out of the year or switch over to Tricare standard (or whatever they call it now). How does Tricare standard work when overseas for an extended period of time

After I retired, we returned stateside and lived near a military base for a couple years. Then we decided to move away from military bases. In this region the regional Tricare underwriter is Martin's Point.

https://tricare.martinspoint.org/

I signed up for Martins Point, and we have not had any problems. Every doctor's office and every hospital is 'in network' with Martins Point.

They have a great mail-order pharmacy. I had surgery for prostate cancer and my urologist wanted to prescribe a custom formulated prescription from an area pharmacy, and Martins Point pick it up with only a 2 day delay.

My wife was having issues with menopause and she wanted to be treated by a Naturopath. I called and asked for this Naturopath to be added into their network and a week later she was in the network.

I have only been retired for 17 years, I am not anywhere old enough yet for medicare. But Martins Point seems to be pretty good.

Now that we are retired we plan on living overseas 8 months out of the year. Would to be wise to keep Tricare Prime even though we won't be next to a military Hospital 8 months out of the year or switch over to Tricare standard (or whatever they call it now). How does Tricare standard work when overseas for an extended period of time
Take a look at Tricare Select Overseas:
https://tricare.mil/Plans/HealthPlans/TSO

Depending on where you’re living overseas, you might choose to pay cash out of pocket. We’ve done this in Thailand, and there are quite a few medical tourists in Mexico & Latin America.

Back
Top Bottom