Trip Greenville SC and Nashville recommendations

wallygator69

Recycles dryer sheets
Hi,

Making a trip to Greenville then to Nashville in a few weeks.

Doing 2 full days in Greenville and 2 or 3 in Nash.

We want to do 1 day of Mountain Golf in Greenville.

Going to stay Downtown (blow that Dough) so we can walk everywhere.

We aren't into museums and fine dining.

Fun low brow local bars and restaurants are our thing.

Any ideas would be appreciated.

Thx

Wally

In Nashville, if you like all-you-can-eat, country cooking, Monelle’s is fabulous! Think platters of fried chicken, country veggies, biscuits, cobbler.

Tootsie’s Orchid Lounge has live music and is pretty low brow.

In Nashville, for music check out Third & Lindsey for entertainment choices. For food, Rosepepper for Mexican, The Pharmacy burger Parlor and Brewhouse, and Cafe Roze.

We love Liz's Kitchen about 20 minutes north of Nashville. It's VERY casual, and mostly local, big eaters :)

We viewed the last eclipse in Greenville. Came in on the morning train and out on the night train. Nice town. Falls Park was very scenic. We walked through there and followed a path to the zoo, where we watched the eclipse. A nice, pleasant trail, though check the distance before trying it. The walk from the zoo to downtown wasn't so great. Uphill, busy roads, so-so neighborhoods then crossing a lot of business driveways which meant we had to stay alert for turning traffic.

I think we ate breakfast at "Eggs Up", which was good. Dinner was at a brew pub or brew hall, but I can't recall the name. Might have been Carolina Ale House. Obviously not memorable but it was fine.

DW wants to visit Falls Park on the Reedy. Looks beautiful but I’m wondering if it’s worth a 4 hour round trip drive?

DW wants to visit Falls Park on the Reedy. Looks beautiful but I’m wondering if it’s worth a 4 hour round trip drive?

Not really, but Greenville is a neat place so you could make a day or weekend of it.

To me Greenville is mostly enjoying the setting: downtown and the river. Walkable but perhaps smaller than expected. Of course Ashville, with a more Bohemian vibe, is about an hour away. Lots of microbrews etc there and also a beautiful setting.

Nashville is more about the music. The Ryman Auditorium is a very notable landmark. Also the various C&W museums. Cash has a notable one. Aspiring singers and musicians (and music) everywhere. Fun and interesting downtown.

Plenty of good places to eat. Not a foodie so no specific recommendations.

Fun destinations.

Last edited:
We visited Nashville for a few nights in mid May, staying at a private campground about 1/2 hour from downtown. The first day, we went to the Country Music Hall of Fame, toured the Honky Tonk Highway on Lower Broadway Street for lunch at Wildhorse Saloon just off Broadway (it was just ok, nothing special) and that evening went to the Grand Ole Opry. I really enjoyed the Country Music HOF and the Grand Ole Opry.

The next day we visited Andrew Jackson's Hermitage and I really enjoyed that.

Things we enjoyed in Nashville:
Ryman Auditorium, Johnny Cash Museum, Country Music Hall Of Fame, Pres.Andrew Jackson's Hermitage tour is a good one, Belle Meade Plantation if you are interested in thoroughbred horses, Gen. Jackson Riverboat meal cruise. And of course, just walking around downtown visiting all the Honkey Tonks and listening to the music.

We live 25 minutes from the state capital in Nashville, and after more than 15 years, finally played tourist last year!

The hermitage is indeed well worth the time.

Look up concerts for the time you'll be here. You can still get great up and coming acts in a wide variety of genres for less than 20 bucks many/most nights. Downtown/broadway is fantastic if you like the Bourbon Street feel, and for music, it has many country/pop venues--and Tootsies and Robert's will have more traditional country. If you are lucky in your timing, there will be an act you appreciate at the Ryman during your stay. That will NOT be less than 20 bucks, but it is worth the full price. (Have heard good things about the Ryman tour as well.)

If you are into automotive history, the Lane Motor Museum is interesting and different, and located very close to downtown.

If you haven't booked yet, be prepared for rate shock on downtown rooms, whether hotel or AirBnB. (We will occasionally compare next day rates downtown v. NYC; Nashville frequently "wins.")

If you are into the outdoors, check out Congaree and Great Smoky Mountains National parks--along with the Blue Ridge Parkway. These are going to be closer to Greenville (Congaree), or m/l on the way to Nashville....

Have fun!

Wish I had seen this post earlier...assuming you've already taken your trip. DW and I lived in Greenville, SC 25+ years and moved to the mountains of SC/NC border 2 years ago. Love Greenville but after early retirement I didn't need the traffic, airport, taxes, etc. Downtown is better than ANY downtown I've ever visited. It's safe and loaded with great restaurants, classy bars, (couple dive bars), shopping, fine art centers, etc. Soby's restaurant is our all-time fav restaurant. Falls Park is a nice 2 hour walk around. Go to Tripadvisor for bar recommendations but lots of great spots. As for golf, I'm old school and would recommend Furman (as in Furman University). Several LPGA golfers and at least one PGA golfer played there...very affordable. Most high end courses are private but many offer reciprocity if you have a membership where you live. Hope this gets to you before your trip!

Howdy,

OP here. We delayed the trip til spring. Friends decided to go to Savannah next week so we are meeting them there instead.

Thanks for the ideas wish we were going there instead now:angel:

Take Care,

W

Savannah will be lots of fun. There's a Trolley (Bus) that runs in a loop around the town.....you can get on and off at any stop, it's a very walkable town. There's a Trolley Pass that allows unlimited rides, pick it up at your Hotel (better price than at the Tourist Center).

Pick a major food group and there will be some good restaurants to choose from. I'm told the Pink House is a must, Paula Deen's -- not so much. Check out Leopold's Ice Cream shop for a mid-day snack. That riverboat offers a lunch ride paddling up and down the SAV River.

There are a few Brew Pubs if you're looking for that sort of thing. Ask the Hotel Front Desk for a local recommendation ..we found the Crystal Beer Parlor to have a good menu (they've been in business there for a hundred years.).

Enjoy your stay. Give us a Trip Report when you get back.

Back
Top Bottom