Trying to eliminate Acid Reflux naturally

I had an endoscopy just before Covid due to a swallowing issue (this was a medication side effect). When doing that, the gastroenterologist found evidence of reflux. I had had no symptoms of reflux.

He did give me the medication but cautioned he to take it only for, I think, 3 months. His recommendation was to stop eating 3 hours before bedtime and to cut out all caffeine and carbonated water.

Subsequent to that I gained weight while sitting at home (about 15 pounds) and started having some reflux symptoms, mostly at night in bed. I bought a wedge pillow. I sleep on my side using the wedge pillow with my regular pillow on top of it. That works well and has cut down severely on the symptoms (I do very occasionally have reflux symptoms at night).

I did read a lot research and studies on the caffeine and carbonated water and found that not everyone agrees that these actually are problematic for everyone. They are problematic for some people (I would think) but not necessarily everyone.

I am working to cut down on both the caffeine and carbonated water (although not completely eliminating). The doctor did indicate that cutting down would be of benefit even if I didn't completely eliminate. I think the wedge pillow and not eating 3 hours before bedtime seems to help the most.

More importantly, losing the Covid 15 pounds I think will be the most helpful (working on that also).

Weight loss worked for me. At 6', 230 lbs. I was gobbling antacids without much success. It was really bad at night. I correcting my diet away from added sugars and HFCS, I lost 35 pounds and haven't had acid reflux problems in over 5 years. I am convinced reducing sugars is the key.

I had a similar experience. I was 6'1" 210, I'm now down to ~180. I also cut sugars. I wasn't a big sugar consumer anyway, but also cut alcohol which was probably my biggest source of sugar. Haven't even looked for an antacid since. That was probably my only chronic issue and it's nice to be free of it.

I would mention that I've also cut out breakfast, and late night eating. But, I think the acid issues went before I put those changes into effect.

Younger people (and society in general) laugh at older people's tendency to eat early at restaurants, but I suspect the prevalence of reflux + doctor's advice to eat many hours before bedtime is the real reason for it.

My father was diagnosed early this year with esophageal cancer. His treatment has helped, still his dr gives him a 30% chance to live 2 more years.

He has been overweight and had reflux most of his adult life.

Younger people (and society in general) laugh at older people's tendency to eat early at restaurants, but I suspect the prevalence of reflux + doctor's advice to eat many hours before bedtime is the real reason for it.

That is so true! I used to think it was because early bird dinners were cheaper..but now I eat at that time just to have time to digest it before bed. Digestion just seems to take much much longer.

Actually, I think they are cheaper because restaurants are competing for the Old-people market.

Food, labor, and other costs are not cheaper for the restaurant just because the food is served at 5 p.m.

That is so true! I used to think it was because early bird dinners were cheaper..but now I eat at that time just to have time to digest it before bed. Digestion just seems to take much much longer.

The stomach is not as big as we think it is. Apprently, it will stretch to hold more food, but that puts pressure on the system that results in reflux.

The best advice I got was to assume my stomach can comfortably hold an amount of food after it's chewed and swallowed equal to my fist. That has helped me a lot. Simply breaking up a big meal into two smaller ones several hours apart really has helped.

The older folks probably go to bed much earlier! (thus need to eat earlier)

But yeah, I suspect digestion slows too.

I tried over the counter meds with no success and doc prescribed sucrafalte which has helped greatly. Requires 4 doses a day and the pills are large and difficult to swallow though. Anybody else try this?

Grapefruit is quite acidic:
https://science-investigation.weebly.com/the-research.html
The most acidic of the citrus fruits are: Tangerine: pH 3.90; grapefruit, pH 3.38; lime: pH 2.40; and lemon: pH 2.30. The least acidic of the citrus fruits are mandarin, pH 11.50; orange, pH 4.35; and kumquat: pH 3.95. The acid levels of fruits decrease as the fruit ages.

Peppermint relaxes smooth muscle, so it will further relax a weak lower esophageal sphincter and make reflux WORSE.

Licorice needs to be deglycyrrhizinated to remove the component harmful to the heart, then its a stomach soothing thing.
The only product I know of is Planetary Herbal "DGL."

Aloe Vera needs the laxative chemical removed, either by using only the internal part of the leaf, or treating the whole leaf; "decolorizing" is a process that does this, removing the anthraquinone:
https://www.healthline.com/health/food-nutrition/aloe-vera-juice-benefits

I've had acid reflux for years, been taking 30 mg Prevacid (now over the counter), usually take 5 days a week. Dr. said I can try cutting out alcohol, soda, juice and spicy food, but what's the point of life cutting all that out :confused:

I've had acid reflux for years, been taking 30 mg Prevacid (now over the counter), usually take 5 days a week. Dr. said I can try cutting out alcohol, soda, juice and spicy food, but what's the point of life cutting all that out :confused:

Agree. Can your weight be reduced?

Agree. Can your weight be reduced?

It’s not a weight issue in my case, my BMI is right at lower side of normal range. I’ve always been somewhat thin. Interesting though my father has bad acid reflux too, so definitely some genetics involved.

Same here. Lean, with a dad who suffered terribly from AR. Would wake us all up with his coughing and retching.

He knew which foods and drinks caused it, and would announce, while consuming them, that he was going to suffer later on. He had such a strong will, otherwise; I never understood how a certain food or drink could be that important to him.

It’s not a weight issue in my case, my BMI is right at lower side of normal range. I’ve always been somewhat thin. Interesting though my father has bad acid reflux too, so definitely some genetics involved.

The point of "not suffering"?

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom