TSP tax question for Hawaii experts

Kim451

Recycles dryer sheets
Hi, my friend and I are Federal retirees in Honolulu. I haven't started pulling $ out of the TSP yet but my friend is nearing 70 and will be required to. Her FA told her that the money she had rolled over from the TSP to Vanguard will be fully taxable in Hawaii.

I know Fed retiree funds are not taxed by the state, and I could have sworn I saw somewhere that funds rolled over from the TSP to an IRA would also not be taxable but I can't seem to find that on the internet again. And how would you prove the Vanguard funds had come from the TSP anyway?

Has anyone had any experience with this?

Hi, my friend and I are Federal retirees in Honolulu. I haven't started pulling $ out of the TSP yet but my friend is nearing 70 and will be required to. Her FA told her that the money she had rolled over from the TSP to Vanguard will be fully taxable in Hawaii.

I know Fed retiree funds are not taxed by the state, and I could have sworn I saw somewhere that funds rolled over from the TSP to an IRA would also not be taxable but I can't seem to find that on the internet again. And how would you prove the Vanguard funds had come from the TSP anyway?

Has anyone had any experience with this?

How were funds moved from TSP to IRA......should be some kind of documentation of that....acct statements, requests to transfer,etc.
If you don't get a good answer here, try posting in the retirement forum
at fairmark.com

not a complete answer but hopeful:
https://www.forbes.com/sites/ashlea...th-retirement-income-tax-breaks/#7c12b057a462
Hawaii
Unlimited for defined benefit pensions. Also some 401(k) and even IRA withdrawals excluded if funds were rolled over from a plan that would have been excluded.

Last edited:
Ok, this is where I'd seen that. Now just need to prove it! lol

Attachments

• 2018afsaTaxGuide.pdf
    623.7 KB · Views: 9
Back
Top Bottom