Two Factor Authentication

BooBoo

Recycles dryer sheets
My two factor authentication quit working on my cell phone. Messaging seem to work fine, just 2FA. Sites indicate message sent but do not receive on phone. I have this uneasy feeling about possible attempted hack. Call me paranoid. Any input is appreciated.

I might be stating the obvious, but indulge me...have you tried turning the phone off and then on again? Full power down and restart.

More than once, I also tried disabling the time zone and "reenabling". I am going to try taking two aspirin and try in the morning.

Go to the site where you are trying to do 2FA with, and click on the link for you forgot your password. This will force you to change your password (peace of mind), and you can probably also check that your phone # is still correct.

Have someone call your phone to make sure you still have the number. Call your provider and make sure no one has snatched your number.

I once had an issue where I wasn't getting 2FA texts because I had changed providers. This was a long time ago though when 2FA via texts was a new thing.

You said "sites", so its more than one site you aren't getting the text from?

Do you receive regular text messages?

Not sure how to check this, but is there any chance you've accidentally blocked the senders? They would probably use the same number in past texts for 2FA so if you can find any of those you could probably tell. Sometimes I delete those messages, and if you do too, maybe you accidentally did a delete and block or spam. On my android phone, in the triple dots by "Search conversations" is a Spam & blocked list of messages, so you could look there too.

Are there other options given besides text? Some of my sites offer to send me an email or call me (rather than text) on my phone. And usually when they are going to send a text, it shows the last 4 digits of my phone, is this still number still correct?

Yes. I am not getting authentication from more than one site. I am using other methods to gain access. I did block some spam texts recently and suspect that may be the issue. I had not really gotten many spam texts until recently. I did look a list of blocked message numbers and list is long. I did not block that many?

I am getting other texts from more than one source.

Yes. I am not getting authentication from more than one site. I am using other methods to gain access. I did block some spam texts recently and suspect that may be the issue. I had not really gotten many spam texts until recently. I did look a list of blocked message numbers and list is long. I did not block that many?

I think you found your answer.

Using iphone...I think blocked numbers may be problem as well. Will start unblocking tomorrow.

Here is an update. Last night I determined that I was unable to receive calls. In the middle of a sleepless night I realized July 7 was my due date for payment. But wait my DW phone is on the same plan and works perfectly. That is not the problem. I call T-Mobile and try to access my account via my phone. They send me 2FA and it does not come thru. I call their support number from my phone and they only work during normal business hours. I go back to sleep and fire up the phone in the morning. Very pleased to find 20 text with codes and 1 spam. I am out of the country and suspect a problem with T-Mobile or their partner carrier was resolved overnight. I sure I will never know for sure. Its strange it was only my phone and not DW. Same providers ?

Technology is is beautiful thing as long as it works.

PSA...Make sure you have multiple methods to access accounts. I added another payment method to T-Mobile just in case.....Now when they are hacked the get two of my credit cards !!! Resistance is futile.

out of the country? next time put that in the original post, might help with the troubleshooting (although weird that your DW was working ok)

glad it's been resolved - like most topics on this site, I learn a lot from reading all the various thoughts/ideas

I had a problem with my phone (for the first time) about a month ago. I couldn't get calls, and it said that I didn't have a SIM card in it! So, we went over to the CricketWireless office and they fixed the problem by just turning the phone off, and then back on. :facepalm:

I have no idea if this is a simple problem that everyone has experienced and knows about, or not. Just thought I'd mention the simple fix. No problems since then in getting calls.

I had a problem with my phone (for the first time) about a month ago. I couldn't get calls, and it said that I didn't have a SIM card in it! So, we went over to the CricketWireless office and they fixed the problem by just turning the phone off, and then back on. :facepalm:

I have no idea if this is a simple problem that everyone has experienced and knows about, or not. Just thought I'd mention the simple fix. No problems since then in getting calls.

Every once in a great while, I get a message on my iPhone that there are "new carrier settings" which I then download. Takes only a second or two, and seems to be a routine thing where your carrier makes a change to their system.

But yes, turning any electronic device off and on is nearly always the best fix. For something sophisticated like a computer or smartphone, there is generally a self-testing diagnostic routine that is run every time it gets turned on.

If Android, hit the three dots at the top right of the text conversation screen and if you have a Spam and Blocked folder, they might possibly be in there.
Also, are you using a Google Voice number by chance, it does not play well with 2FA.

Google Voice no longer forwards texts. I found that out the hard way when people I knew texted me and I rudely never replied. Thankfully, they are a forgiving group.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom